Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe Pleo wont wake up...  (Read 4512 times)

Pleolover100

• Hatchling
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Pleo
Ugobe Pleo wont wake up...
« on: June 09, 2017, 12:36:21 AM »

I'm a little new here, but I could really use some help with my poor little Pleo. I have the older, Ugobe Pleo (maybe 2010 or 2012?) and I haven't played with him in awhile due to several changes in my schedule. I decided to get him out tonight only to find that he wont wake up. He's currently in his sleeping position and when turned on, all he does is make a snoring noise before shutting off. I've tried petting him, feeding him, tickling him... nothing has worked. His battery is fully charged so it cant be that.

After doing some research I've realized that I probably need to update him as I've never actually done so, but I need to replace his SD card first. Could this be the source of his problem? Is there anything else I can try first? What can I do to help my little guy out, or at least wake him up a little? 

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Ugobe Pleo wont wake up...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 06:00:02 AM »

Sounds like a dead battery to me. The original Ugobe batteries don't last more than a few years and essentially all of them are no longer functional by now (especially ones that haven't been used for a long period of time). The snore + shutdown is a response that Ugobe Pleos do when their battery is too low to stay awake. I would not suggest updating him right now, as running an update with a dead battery could harm your Pleo.

I'd say looking for a new battery is probably the best thing to do in order to get him up and running again. Unfortunately Pleo World discontinued all Ugobe products from their site last year, so eBay is the best option left for finding replacement batteries. There's a company in China that sells knock-off Pleo batteries + chargers for $100 and these have worked well for some people and a seller in Italy who sells repacked Ugobe batteries for around $70. The best battery option would be to find what people call an "egg battery" which is a white LiPo battery with an egg-shaped charger that was produced and sold by an off-brand company for a few years. These work wonderfully (hold a 2+ hour run time and last many years), but are very difficult to come by since they were discontinued years ago and most people who have them want to keep them. Unfortunately finding batteries has become a huge issue in keeping Ugobes up and running now as there are many fewer working batteries in circulation than Pleos.

Hope this helps and you can get him to wake up soon!

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Suse and Mack
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »

Hey Pleolover100,
I have the same issue with my Ugobe. The battery is indeed dead, like aibo7m3 stated. However, it is not likely that the battery 'died' via age- it's more likely that the last time PLEO shut off from low battery, you forgot to switch his state from "ON" to "OFF". Basically, the battery discharges inside the dinosaur. I think there's a way to fix this but I haven't figured it out yet- and it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Best to buy a new battery.

:)

Pleolover100

• Hatchling
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Pleo
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »

Thank you for helping! I actually figured it out at sometime around 2 am. Thankfully I have an extra battery and after charging it, Pleo started working again. Needless to say, I will be disposing of the old battery and will be look for a new extra on Ebay.

Of course, all of this has gotten me interested in getting a new buddy for him! But first, its probably time to give him his first update. Again, thank you for your help!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 11:02:12 PM »

Glad you got it sorted out.. It is terrible when you want to go interact with your pleo and the battery does not work. :( Good luck in finding another battery as well. I used to sell the Egg batteries and chargers here on the forum and If I would have known they were going to be discontinued, I would have bought a couple of more cases.......They are great batteries and do work well............RWM  :cat-hug: and the Pleo township of the Redwoods
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal