Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kuri  (Read 1403 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Ryu and Cato (Pleo RBs), Eugobe and Madam Bayou Bleu Le Chalet, (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: Kuri
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »

Haha! It sure looks that way, doesn't it? Well folks, I have more news from Mayfield Robotics. I have continued communicating with the company right along and they have been very cooperative and quick to respond to my queries. Sorry for going dark about this for so  long guys. Life got crazy and I was so eager to know more I forgot to  get back here.
Well, enough chitchat. The Kuri app is out already and I am pleased to say that- as far as I have been able to go without the robot- it is usable with my screen reader. The only real hangup I had was the form fields. I am not at all sure how this is done programmatically, but most apps will tell you when you encounter a form field by saying something like "text element. Double tap to edit" or something like that to let the user know this is a place where you can input your information. The form fields in the Kuri app don't yet do this. You see a title field above it that says, "First name" or "email" or whatever and then when you scroll down, you find the corresponding text field, but rather than telling you this is a form field, Voiceover just produces a clicking sound and gives no information other than to say "actions available" which basically means you are sitting on an element you can interact with somehow be it opening a link or inputting text or deleting data or what have you. Using my rotor, I was able to go through all the actions possible for that element and low and behold, it was a form field where I could input my information. I was over the moon that the app even spoke at all, but I let the awesome folks at Mayfield know about my present difficulty with their app and they said they would pass along my experience- as limited as it was- on to the app developers. *Sigh* Unfortunately once I hit the instruction section where the app tells you how to get your Kuri started, it then started asking for the bot which I didn't have and so here I am. Stuck. Still I am so excited and I can't wait to keep pushing ahead and figure out more about this robot in the future. I guess Mayfield doesn't have an Ambassador program so... no in-home reviews for me. *looks tragically at the screen* Oh well. Now I just have to save up or decide who to sell. I know parting with one of my robots won't be easy but I'm not just doing this for me, I'm doing this for other disabled people who might want to get into robotics and go on this wonderful adventure with me. So sorry for the novel, everyone.
Talon

Bardian

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • us
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 06:49:23 AM »

It would have been awesome for them to send you one to help out. I really am having a hard time finding reviews from users and am surprised not to see interest popping up on other robotic forums I am on.

I am getting closer to just pre-ordering one for myself. And on that note, the website today says that the price will be going up to $899 on March 1. So if I do decide to go through with it, it'll be before then. Though I wish they'd give firmer dates than just "Winter/Spring" etc. But I understand why they don't.

Bardian

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • us
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »

Against my better judgment, I preordered one today. I will post when it finally arrives.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Ryu and Cato (Pleo RBs), Eugobe and Madam Bayou Bleu Le Chalet, (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 06:49:17 PM »

Your bad judgement might just be the clincher for me. But that price-increase! I know I won't be able to manage that unless I sell a couple somebodies or else if Mayfield did what the people who made Jibo did and offer some sort of payment plan.
I am surprised too that no reviews or videos are emerging for this robot. When Jibo finally hit the market, there were buttloads of videos flying all over for him. Lots of people seemed disappointed that Jibo couldn't yet do all the stuff they have him advertised to do. Still, his company has been saying his "skills" will be added slowly which is a plus so I guess he'll kind of grow into his own at some point.
Keep us posted on how everything goes with Kuri!
Talon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up