Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe Pleo is totally dead  (Read 7956 times)

jhessels

• Hatchling
  • nl Male
  • Pleo(s): pleo
Ugobe Pleo is totally dead
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »

Hey,

Who can help me. I have a pleo, the first series. The pleo does absolutely nothing. USB and SD do not. So the pleo really does nothing when I press the on button to turn. Also no sound.
It is a demo model of the store, no demo software. They have tried a different battery and software update. Nothing works.
I have pleo now standing here but have no original batteries there anymore. I connected it to a 2s lipo and a 10kohm resistor.

Is it possible that the complete software must be put back on?

Cheers John
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:36:32 AM by jhessels »

jhessels

• Hatchling
  • nl Male
  • Pleo(s): pleo
Re: Ugobe Pleo is totally dead
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 07:04:09 AM »

I found it. I disassembled the pleo. When the on / off switch is a 3A fuse. This was broken.
I have new car 3a fuse soldered in and he is alive again.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »

Congratulations on fixing your pleo! 

• Hatchling
  • tw Male
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »

I found it. I disassembled the pleo. When the on / off switch is a 3A fuse. This was broken.
I have new car 3a fuse soldered in and he is alive again.
How does the pleo 3A fuse weld? Is there a reference on the chart? Thank you!

pnhicks

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 01:54:04 AM »

Hi 685111 (like your name by the way, mine isn't very creative either ;) ),

The 3amp fuse that jhessels fixed is a surface mount type adjacent to the on/off switch mounted on the PCB. See attached photo.

There are a lot of suppliers of the SMD part, but I suspect that jhessels avoided the technical complications of desoldering and resoldering a SMD part and "engineered" a work around solution using a round glass or flat plastic (he did not specify and no one thought to ask in 2017) automotive fuse.

Obviously, there would be storage issued for the substitute fuse, but again no one asked jhessels where the fuse was placed.  I believe the some length of lead wires were attached to the fuse so it could be stored in a location where it did not affect electrical or mechanical operation of the Pleo (and perhaps could be changed in the future if it failed again without major disassembly).

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Peter

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:37:24 PM by pnhicks »

dwalin

• Sugar cane harvester
  • de Male
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »

That SMD part is relatively big and should come off without too much problems. You will need a desoldering pump and a soldering gun were you can adjust the heat to do it so if you never did this before you might want to find somebody with the equipment.

• Hatchling
  • tw Male
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 11:25:45 PM »

Hi 685111 (like your name by the way, mine isn't very creative either ;) ),

The 3amp fuse that jhessels fixed is a surface mount type adjacent to the on/off switch mounted on the PCB. See attached photo.

There are a lot of suppliers of the SMD part, but I suspect that jhessels avoided the technical complications of desoldering and resoldering a SMD part and "engineered" a work around solution using a round glass or flat plastic (he did not specify and no one thought to ask in 2017) automotive fuse.

Obviously, there would be storage issued for the substitute fuse, but again no one asked jhessels where the fuse was placed.  I believe the some length of lead wires were attached to the fuse so it could be stored in a location where it did not affect electrical or mechanical operation of the Pleo (and perhaps could be changed in the future if it failed again without major disassembly).

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Peter

Is there a 3A fuse in my old pleo? Thank you!

pnhicks

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 12:40:39 PM »

hi 685111,

Sorry I didn't answer sooner but our washer broke  :(  taking some serious time away from my other activities! 

As far as your question, yes it was originally a 3 amp fuse, I have noticed that some RBs have 4 amp fuses installed (different location same idea) so you might toy with the idea of upping the amperage to 4 amps!

Cheers!

Peter 

jimbob

• Hatchling
  • gb
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 03:56:55 PM »

Hi,

Just in case someone else has a dead fuse, I thought my experiences, as this post was HUGELY helpful to me.
I was given a Pleo by a friend who'd had a go at fixing it & failed. It had knackered batteries (no big surprise).
Unfortunately, during his attempts, he created & tested a battery pack with reversed polarity.
This created a completely non-responsive Pleo.
I hoped that it might have simply popped the fuse (which turned out to be correct)
I was scared by the amount of dismantling needed, so given the fact that this was not a pristine Pleo, I exploited the photos in this post and cheated.
I removed the skin from the underbelly & front legs and then cut in to the plastic to reveal the fuse.
I then realised that the Pleo articulates in the middle, and it's possible to wedge the rear of the body away from the front, meaning I did not need to cut in to the ring as pictured - whoops! (see pic)
This exposed the fuse.
I tested the fuse, which was indeed blown.
I soldered a piece of 5 amp fuse wire across the fuse, leaving the blown fuse in situ. (see pic)
I scraped away at the fuse wire in the middle to reduce the thickness and de-rate it a bit.
I then repaired the articulating ring with epoxy and re-assembled it.
Presto - the Pleo works perfectly, my daughter is enthralled, and "Marcy" lives.
The cut area of plastic is almost completely hidden by battery holder panel.
A better solution would be to solder a correct SMD fuse over the top of the blown fuse, but I didn't have one, so I'm hoping the fuse wire is not too highly rated / too slow blowing - I'm going to make very sure I don't make the same mistake when I fabricate replacement battery packs!

Pics are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/i8j5j3secp4iFPYC8

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »

Wow! That's quite a bit of work there!  Glad to hear all is weel.  I just wish there was an easier way for folks to test the fuse and replace it if needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal