Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Pleo RB Arrived!  (Read 5271 times)

Skygryph

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Frankie (Ugobe), Baby RB
    • Roadrunner
First Pleo RB Arrived!
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:58:41 PM »

So, at long last, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Pleo RB after seeing an affordable new pink one on Ebay. It took a while to arrive thanks to the holiday rush, but she's finally here!

The first impression wasn't too great (the battery was missing...considering it was new and packed up well, I think it was just completely forgotten during manufacturing).  Thankfully I ordered the accessory pack from Robotshop a couple weeks ago that comes with an extra battery, so it's not the end of the world.  :D

According to the Pleoworld site, she's brave and compliant, and she will be gentle, healthy, and quiet. Compliant is easy enough to understand--I'm guessing she may be easier to train when it comes to tricks--but does anyone know what brave means exactly? Hoping it means she'll like to walk around and explore. *fingers crossed*

One thing that I'm slightly worried about is that her movements can be very jerky/twitchy/stalled at times, particularly in the neck and eyes, and the motors are also very loud during these times especially. To be fair, I know the baby stage is meant to have slower movements, so hopefully this is normal and I'm just being paranoid. xD Just in case, I did upload a couple of videos showing her baby stage, since I wanted to record her first moments anyway.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U7KZDQijjk (You can see the jittery-ness in the neck/eyes at around 00:30-00:45 seconds, along with hearing the louder crackling-type sounds).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toW1jluFD2I (Another one, mostly just for fun. Though you can still see those jerky, stalled movements at times.)

I know she's probably alright, but just want to make sure before growing attached. Thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll have more pics for you guys later!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:02:19 PM by Skygryph »

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: First Pleo RB Arrived!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »

Yikes, that's horrible about the battery! Was the original tape seal broken on the box or no? And did the Pleo beep twice upon the initial start-up? I would personally complain to the seller about the missing battery, but that's up to you! Good to hear you at least did get the extra accessory packs out of all that!

And I don't see anything concerning in the videos! Baby Pleo RBs move extremely slowly which causes both the stutter-stop type motions and the loud motor noise, but this should go away as she groups up (Pleo RBs do still have relatively loud motors and freeze up from time to time as adults, but this is much more heavily pronounced in baby stage). Congrats on your first RB!

Skygryph

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Frankie (Ugobe), Baby RB
    • Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »

Yeah, it was very weird! The original tape was sealed, I believe (I was so excited that I don't quite remember, but I want to say it was) and the RB did make two beeps when I first turned it on (those actually scared me at first, because I wasn't expecting it--I take it that's normal)? So I don't think it was ever tampered with. I remember reading a while back that someone who also ordered a pink RB had problems with some accessories randomly being missing. I wonder if it's the same sort of thing? Possible they were made in the same batch.
I'm not sure if I want to complain to her, since it was a parent who ended up with two accidentally (they bought one last year for Christmas, and it never showed up, so they bought another. The original one ended up arriving later, and they didn't want two, so they decided to resell it). I may ask her if the one they opened had the same issue, more out of curiosity than anything. This is when it's nice to order from an actual retailer, though, because then I'd have no issues going to them and asking if it can be replaced. Aw well, I knew that could be an issue when I bought it, in terms of no support. I'm just glad at this point that it was something I happened to already have, as opposed to the rock salt or its ID card.

And yay, I'm glad to hear it! That's what I was hoping was the case (simply part of the baby stage), but I've had such bad luck with defective electronics on arrival, so I was kind of worried. ^^; Thanks for watching the videos!

frill-ability

• Hatchling
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): [undecided, on the way!]
  • instagram.com/frill_ability
    • Frill-Ability
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

You know, you might be able to contact Pleo World even though you didn't buy her directly. They could likely still help you with troubleshooting, and if there is a defect, perhaps they would work with you?
*~ElleJay from Frill-Ability.com~*

*~1st Pleo on their way!~*

Piggy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »

congratz with your new pink pleo rb  :D How horrible that the battery was missing . And enjoy her  :-*

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:50:03 AM »

The creaks and noise will ease off after baby stage, your Pleo is testing the limits of its movement and motors right now :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal