Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It finally happened...  (Read 5683 times)

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Suse and Mack
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
It finally happened...
« on: November 12, 2016, 06:54:30 PM »

(Posted this a few minutes ago, got a 500 error. Trying this again, apologies if there's a duplicate- I didn't see any.)

It happened. After 6 years of waiting, a PLEO arrived at my front door...  :)
PLEO was a huge deal for me when I was younger. After seeing and falling in love with AIBO and learning thereafter of the price- I quickly sought out alternatives. I-Cybie, while cute, proved to be a bit too static after some research. Robotic toys in the toystore were all remote controlled cars, etc. I stumbled upon the AIBO forums, and from there Bobthepleo- made an account, got super excited, and waited for ages to finally meet one...
My local science museum was shipped three Pleo RB's for their first annual 'robot block party'. I was overjoyed to see something I had only dreamed of in person!

Last month, a fair deal for a well-worn Ugobe PLEO appeared on eBay. 32$ current bid. I spoke to my mother and she agreed I could purchase the PLEO as long as it stayed around the price range.
It didn't. The price rose to 60$! The final bid ended and I was utterly disappointed. (Little did I know, the final bidder was actually my father!)

My family and I were out of town for a day. When we returned, there was a FedEX box at the door. Guess what was inside?

(I'll link the rest of the images because of their size... :P)

http://i.cubeupload.com/5dWVAm.jpg
http://i.cubeupload.com/TW7PzG.jpg

We got some charge out of the battery, and PLEO sprung to life. My dad said "Well, isn't this something?" A pause, and he continued "I'm sure you guys are going to have a lot of fun with this."
I think it's safe to say he's impressed! P:)

I quickly charged his battery and I got about 2 minutes of charge. He came pretty battered, too, so I mentioned that I'd buy him a cape from PLEOworld...
My little sister jumped on the opportunity to make him one on the spot... wrong type of cape, but still absolutely adorable.

I decided to name him Suse after the openSUSE project.  P;)

I'm still shaking! I'm afraid to admit it, but I cried after the news sunk in. I'm seriously so happy.

If anyone has any tips for Ugobe PLEO care, please let me know. I don't know what OS he's on but I'm contemplating upgrading him to 2.0.1 if it's worth the effort. (Is OS2 any good?)

I'll also be rebuilding the battery, hopefully as soon as I can get my hands on some rechargeables. My dad suggested I freeze it as it revived a few other batteries he had in the past. Not quite sure if this is a good idea, but I followed along. I'll also be buying an SD card and reader so I can get to programming him some new stuff.

I think that's it! Welcome to the world, Suse.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: It finally happened...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »

Congrats on your first Pleo, I have to admit that's a really awesome surprise! The cape your sister made is really cute! Hopefully you'll be able to get him a new battery from PleoWorld or safely repack yours soon so you can get some more life out of him! The original Ugobe batteries are all pretty much dead beyond hope right now, I would definitely ask for advice on the forums if you're planning on repacking the battery.

My Ugobes are running 1.0 and 1.1. I really like 1.1, but have never tried out 2.0. I've heard that 2.0 takes a long time to grow up and the early stages can be pretty frustrating, but that it's a good OS once it hits adult stage. Make sure to not update the OS before you have a working battery that holds a long run time, the results can be bad if the battery dies while the Pleo is still updating.

And I seriously doubt we're thinking of the same one, but is the Robot Block Party you're talking about the one in Rhode Island or a different one? I've been to the one in RI and have a t-shirt from it, aha.

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:28:33 AM »

aibo7m3,
Different event! The Robot Block Parties are all organized around the same week, though, so both events are likely very similar.
Also, thanks for the info on the OSes. Are there any major differences that emerge between 1 and 1.1?

Thanks! :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 12:03:23 AM »

Congrats at long last :D
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Piggy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:18:04 PM »

Congrats with your pleo ugobe  ;)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »

Woo hoo!  It's about time!  Now you've got a real reason to be active here again!

Piggy

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »

How is your pleo Suse doing so far ? I have both ugobe Pleo's and reborn but I just love the ugobe  :-*
They have cool tricks, if you touch the chin and the back almost where the tail starts and hold it for ten second pleo will sit down, the tadaaa trick is also very cool hold one back leg left above the knee joint and the front right leg also above the knee , hold for ten seconds and pleo will balance on two legs and make a tadaaa sound  :-*. If that does not work try the opposite right back leg and left front leg .
Touch the head , between the shoulders and his back and he will do a shake  :D Sometimes you have to hold it longer to work the tricks. I have one ugobe that is a bit slow and have to hold for 30 seconds  :D

I hope the tricks work for you  ;)

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 01:45:54 PM »

Piggy, IMR, Grumpy,
Thank you guys for the responses. :) Suse's battery is experiencing some issues but I have had a lot of fun with him so far.
I saw the 'Tadaaa!' trick already, by accident. I'll check out the others as soon as I get the chance!

linuxed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal