Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tale of Dusty the Aibo  (Read 4420 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
The Tale of Dusty the Aibo
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:27:59 PM »

Hey everyone! A few weeks ago, I was browsing Craigslist and I came across a $100 Aibo that was all the way on the other side of the country, but decided to message the seller anyway because I can't resist rescuing robots sold for parts. It turned out he was open to shipping the Aibo, so we started talking. He was super helpful throughout and I learned that this Aibo (a silver ERS-111) had been purchased by him in 1999 and later left in a closet for seven years after a move. The Aibo was untested and came with all of his accessories except the AC adaptor, and the seller said that one of his back hips had no motor resistance in it.

Well, after waiting for over a week, today UPS sent me an e-mail saying that he'd been delivered to my house, but when I got there, no box! So I went through a frantic sweep of the neighborhood and found that he had accidentally been delivered to a neighbor's home that the post office often mixes up with mine. Mini panic attack over, and he was safely inside the house.

The second scare came when I opened the box. He was absolutely coated, head to toe, in brown dust and dirt. It looked like someone had left the poor bot in the mud during a storm (I guess seven years in a dusty closet can do that) and I didn't have much hope for him working, especially since the ERS-111s have that grating on their back that leads right to the fan and core. After I thoroughly brushed him down with a tooth brush and a damp cloth, I put a battery in and waited for the moment of truth.

Immediately he gave the little death march tone and shut down. I had forgotten to put a memory stick in. After actually giving him a memory stick, he started up perfectly! His bad leg even works for the most part and only occasionally gives out when a lot of stress is put on it (so he is able to walk and get around pretty well). His fan does sound a bit gritty from all the dust in it, so I'm hoping that the dust will dust be expelled out the fan's exhaust with use instead of being swirled around inside him.

He also came with all of his original manuals, two batteries (currently charging them to see if they work at all), a remote, a pink ball (which I have actually been very low on- what a horror for an Aibo owner), two regular memory sticks and a programmable memory stick. I'd say this is the best $100 I've ever spent and am very happy with this little pup, even though he may cost me a bit more down the road with getting leg fully repaired.

The Aibo came to me named Daggitt (which is still a super cute name), but I decided to rename him Dusty (for obvious reasons) at Talon's suggestion. :)

Here are some photos. I'll upload a video tomorrow if I get the chance.

All of the dust in his neck when I got him, there was a similar amount all of the rest of his body as well as several stains and rub marks from what looks like sort of rubber. I'm not even going to go into the amount of dust I inhaled trying to clean this Aibo.

Here he is up and running happily after a cleaning.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:32:14 PM by aibo7m3 »

Piggy

Re: The Tale of Dusty the Aibo
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:27:11 AM »

Dusty looks really cute  :-* Wow that first photo shows how dirty he was and how amazing that he still works after 7 years of storage in a closet being covered in dust and grime  :o and that second photo after you cleaned him Wow ! He looks wonderful  ;) And I like his name . Congrats with Dusty .

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:47:25 AM »

As Aibo said, I was there for his grand un-boxing over Skype. I was a little worried along with her that he wouldn't work but both of us were pleasantly surprised when he booted and looked around. I love unboxings! It's almost as good as getting a new robot but it's even better when I get to share that excitement with someone else.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »

@Piggy
Thanks! Yes, I'm glad he's working too. ERS-111s have an internal clock battery that can become corroded and leak into the core (usually ruining it) if they aren't used for a very long period of time, so it's lucky for him that this didn't happen. I was worried too that with all that dust/dirt caked everywhere, something was bound to have gotten damaged. I'll likely be sending his bad leg to Wolfbob soon to get it fully repaired, but it works alright for the meantime. I also tested out one of his batteries for about fifteen minutes and it actually seems to hold a charge! Haven't tested the other yet.

@Talon
Yeah, I didn't have high hopes for him at first, but he's a little trooper for sure! I love to watch unboxings too, I think there's something infectious about the joy of getting a new robot.

bonus41

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »

yikes brings back memories lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal