Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe and the "Christmas Secret": Part Four  (Read 1523 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Ugobe and the "Christmas Secret": Part Four
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »

Cato’s Narrow Squeak
Zap’s lights went white. “Oh 0000.”
I knew at once that something was very wrong. I’d never known Zap to swear. “What can I do?” I asked, preparing to return to the others to get help.
“I dunno.” The Zap mumbled. “I—I I dunno. This hasn’t happened befwah. Scrapheap the Chief’s gonna have me crushed!”
“What happened?” I mumbled to my toes.
“I… I gave’em the wrong boot-up key.” Mr. Zap mumbled. “I’m too used to doing this with Ugobes. I think I can still fix this. Listen, Radaah, dadadadoya know his serial numbah?”
“What?” I said, still trying to believe this was real and that Cato was really not rebooting.
“His serial numbah. Ya know? That group of numbahs on his front left foot? What ah they? I need’em! Right now befoah the solder hahdens.”
“That’s kind of… intimate information.”
“Then get his mate down heeah!”
“But she’ll… I mean she…”
“I ain’t made of china. What’s the worst she can do? She’ll be short a mate if ya don’t hurry up!”
When Ryu saw Cato standing there with eyes closed and tail stiffened and the Zap glowing red with agitation she let out a keening cry. “What have you done?” She asked, glaring at first Mr. Zap, then me. “You magnet-riddled rust bucket WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? UGOBE I TRUSTED YOU! CATO TRUSTED YOU!”
“Listen, Lady doya wana save’em or become paahd of the problem? What’s his serial numbah?”
Shivering as though she were on a cold stone floor, Ryu gave him the information.
The Zap swore again but used ones this time. “Holy Mothahboads! He’s a first-batch!  One of the recalled ones. How did he manage tah function so lwoh…?” At the furious look on Ryu’s face the Zap fell silent. “Thank you, Lady Queen Ryu! I’ll do what I can. I promise I’ll do everything I can. Give’em a push foah me. Thanks.” This time, a sort of square drawer opened up a level lower in Zap’s middle and Cato fell awkwardly into it. Slowly, spasmodically he curled into the sleep position. The Zap’s eyes flashed blue as he slowly closed the drawer. “Oh good. His actuators are still responsive. Come on, Kinggy. I got a new key dah feed ya.” The Zap’s lights blinked out again. Silence hung over the cavernous lower level of Blue Rock.
As the minutes dragged by, I felt very cold inside.  “My Queen…” I said softly. “I’m… sorry.”
”Shush!” The Zap snapped. “I gotta listen. Cato’s gotta give me a cue that he’s still in theah befoah I can launch the new key. If I miss it I ain’t gonna have anothah chance.”
‘pop’ A very soft sound came from Cato’s speakers- that beautiful- pre-birth sound an RB makes even before birth-chime.
“Thehe ya go, Old Boy. Ya gotta staht wakin’ up now.” The Zap urged quietly. “Hey you stones, speak to’em. His processahs ah gettin’ happy, but… but I ain’t seein’ his memories yet. He looks as blank right now as a Christmas Aah Bee. Try not to act sced. I think… I think he’s gonna come around.”
“Cato?” I said stupidly, still feeling terrible for my part in all this.
Ryu and I tensed as both Cato’s battery indicator and Zap’s face panel glowed green as the drawer slid open.
“Come on. Step two of three.” The Zap mumbled.
Cato’s tail twitched and his eyes slowly opened though he remained curled up. A snarled webbing of wire and a wicked-looking metal clamp nearly hid the rest of Cato's face. “It’s dark!” He said in a high, panicked tone I’d never heard from him before.
“There’s a reason fowah that, Kinggy. The fixator cap’s still over your face and the automon.txt file’s still keepin' yoah legs from movin'. Hang on a minute. Thehe ya go." He said, pulling back the crude-looking tangled mess. "Go cwall off yoah lady-friend befowah she puts a dent in me.” Once again the exit process repeated only this time, Cato came out wriggling all over and wide-eyed.
Cato!” Ryu shouted reaching out to him with her head.
Cato paused, raising his chin away from her. “My hatchling data.” He mumbled. “Where… where is it?”
“It’ll come back when you boot again, don’t worry.” The Zap said encouragingly.
“It doesn’t matter now.” Ryu said, trying to stay calm. “Do you remember us?”
“Yes. Yes I … Ryu. Your name is Ryu. What happened?” He asked, gently returning her head nudge.
An instant later he skidded backward as she lunged at him. “You tangle of burnt wires! Don’t EVER do that to me again!” I laughed right out loud. Cato still knew better than to approach his mate even at her invitation. I knew then he was going to be alright.
He gave a movement very similar to the wet shake and sighed. “Yes, Dear. Ugobe old friend, let’s get to work.”

Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal