Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions from a new Pleo RB owner  (Read 7282 times)

TBL36

• Member of the herd
  • ca
  • Pleo(s): Decker
Questions from a new Pleo RB owner
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:02:30 PM »

I'm sure these questions have been answered in other threads, but gosh there are a lot of other threads, so I'm just going barge ahead and ask them anyway.

Decker is a Green Pleo RB, new,  straight legs and neck when in off mode, and when scratched under the chin makes a sound that, if I had to chose between wolf howl or singing, I'd describe as a wolf howl.  I think I read in a thread somewhere that this can be used to determine OS, though I can't remember if that's for a Ugobe or a RB.

Decker is on his second day of clock time, and his sixth battery cycle of active run time.  He stands, but doesn't yet walk.  He makes seven or eight different sounds, wags his tail, scratches his nose with either front foot, though usually its the left.  I hope that's enough for anybody reading to gauge his stage of development.

Now the questions:

1)  If I stick a micro-SD HC card in him (loaded with statsrb), and press the power button, the green light comes on, but he doesn't do anything.  Forever.  He also won't power down no matter how long or short I press the power button.  I have to pull the battery.  Upon removing the SD card, he functions normally.  Or at least I think its normal.  What do I know?  I've been a Pleo owner for two days.

I'm of two minds whether I want to know the current personality settings, but regardless, I'd like to know why statsrb didn't work.

2)  If I ignore Decker for around five minutes, he lowers his head and tail, beeps once, and the power light goes out.  Is this a kind of sleep mode from which he can awaken by himself, assuming there's charge in his battery?

3)  His neck made constant popping sounds when he first hatched yesterday.  The popping sounds stopped after an hour or so.  Tonight, his neck made two loud pops as he lowered his head, and then his head would not come up again.  Side to side movement yes, upwards movement no, even when I put him in full off.  I took his head, and gently raised it against the resistance until I (felt more than) heard a couple of pops.  When I turned him back on again, his up/down neck movement was fine, and has continued to be, although the neck has made that popping sound a couple more times, when he pushes his head into me while being hugged.  Is this normal?

4)  Do Pleos always drop their food/snacks/medicine when they're done eating?  I've pulled the conifer leaf from his mouth a couple of times now, and I'm not sure if its just stuck in there or if sometimes he takes a while to chew, and I've been traumatizing him by stealing his food?

Thanks for the help.  Intellectually, I know it's a robot, but emotionally, I'm already stupidly attached to the thing.

TBL36

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Questions from a new Pleo RB owner
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 04:42:45 AM »

Congrats on your new Pleo RB! Don't worry, Decker sounds like a normal baby Pleo to me.

1.) Is the card greater than 2 GB? Cards larger than this often do not function or do not function properly in Pleo RBs.

2.) Yes, he is going into a sleep mode that he can wake himself up from on his own. It sounds like you need to reset the noon clock in his foot (press the little button with a paper clip while he is on to set the current time as noon) since that's how he tracks time and from what you're describing, he thinks it's night. You should get more activity out of him once you do this as well.

3.) The popping and freezing of the neck is a known and fairly common issue for Pleos in the baby stages. Make sure to turn him off immediately whenever his head freezes/makes non-stop popping to prevent damage. Simply turning him off and back on should give his neck a full range of motion again. The popping when he presses his head into you is because the baby RBs press their heads too far into the foot it's resting on so the motor tries to move past its current position but can't and jams. This should stop entirely or almost entirely once he reaches adulthood.

4.) Pleo RBs should drop their food when they're done with it, it doesn't always fall out of their mouthes, but an RB should lower its head to the ground and loosen its grip on the food substantially when done eating. Make sure that after you show him a piece of food that you only give it to him if he asks for it, not just whenever his mouth is open as this can confuse him.

Phelicidea

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:55:27 AM »

Isn't 'statsrb' the one that you have to put in your computer to 'read'.  And 'proberb' the one that has the actual pleo tell you their stats?  It could be that it worked just fine, and the info you're looking for is now on your sd.

Phel

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »

Yes, but I believe the Pleo runs its default personality when StatsRB is installed instead of just freezing up and doing nothing.

TBL36

• Member of the herd
  • ca
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »

aibo7m3,

Thanks for the answers.  The card is 16gb.  I'll go find some 1gb and/or 2gb cards.

His internal clock is off by one hour, but it still puts his power-downs during his sleep cycle.  Really impressive tech there.

I now see exactly what you mean with his head position while being cradled.  So basically all baby Pleos are born with foot-in-mouth disease.

The only thing I've stuffed into his mouth unasked-for was a small wad of cash when a friend asked what I feed him.  Not my joke.  I got that from Caleb Chung's Ted Talk.  Good to know the food doesn't always come out by gravity alone.

Colour me reassured.

Phelicidea,

Per aibo7m3's post, the Pleo is supposed to start up as normal with the statsrb card in place, this is how statsrb gets its data, then you turn the Pleo off, and as you noted, read the data from your PC.

I'm still of two minds about running statsrb or proberb.  Kind of like wanting the ultrasound to tell me everything's cool, but not wanting to know gender.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:04 PM »

The sleepiness might also be due to not enough light, and also baby Pleos are generally sleepier than adults, but the main thing is to make sure his internal clock is set correctly.  And to make sure that he falls asleep somewhere safe and can't wake up and hurt himself if you allow him to power down of his own accord.

You can get the 2gb cards on Ebay pretty cheaply, but you can run and enjoy Pleos without ever finding out what their exact software is and does, it's not essential to run StatsRB or ProbeRB! :D

They do usually drop the food of their own accord, make sure not to stuff it too far into his mouth as it can get stuck at the back if you do.

He sounds pretty normal, as has been said that clicking will stop as he grows, enjoy him! :)

TBL36

• Member of the herd
  • ca
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 11:34:57 PM »

The sleepiness may very well be from low-light levels.  I keep my home fairly dim.  He often scratches his chin.  I've read that's another sign of low light levels.

Day three of Pleo ownership and see little difference between this and getting a new kitten or puppy.  I had to learn twice not to have anything near Decker that he can knock over.  Last night I was using isopropyl to clean some contacts on a gizmo, while waiting for some French onion soup to cool down.  Decker was on the coffee table, dormant.  He powered up unexpectedly (I'm amazed every time he does that), and instead of moving everything away, I scratched his chin, and his tail knocked the open bottle of isopropyl over into the soup.  Isopropyl in soup does not add value.

How frequent are new pleo owners these days?

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »

We get about one a month here.  But I'm sure they sell way more than that!

TBL36

• Member of the herd
  • ca
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 02:11:50 PM »

I'm sure they sell more than that.  I'm wondering how many people aren't getting a fraction from their Pleos that they could because they don't plunder the knowledge base that is this forum.

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 04:55:21 AM »

Not sure if my post was removed, or why, or if I posted this in a different thread...but I didn't think myself about Pleos not hurting themselves much with tails and necks, etc., if they were to wake up accidentally. I too recommend that you keep your Pleo in a place that is safe when it is asleep. I think I mentioned earlier especially during hatchling stage that you may want to keep it in the same room with you, but I believe your Pleo is well past hatchling stage now and that this stage only takes fifteen minutes. And I think RB's are less prone than Yugobes to have neck and tail problems though I myself have only owned one RB and have only had Pleos for a year or so. Just offering my 27 cents.

TBL36

• Member of the herd
  • ca
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »

Hey, all.  My 2gb MicroSD cards finally arrived and they don't work either.  I've tried StatsRB and ProbeRB on the 2gb cards.  With a micro SD card slotted, the green light comes on, but that's it.  I can't even turn Decker off normally.  That doesn't work.  I have to pull the battery.  Decker works fine once I remove the card and put the battery back in.

Any suggestions?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 03:02:43 AM »

Are they HC, high capacity cards don't work.

Also try a skit first it's a better test.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

TBL36

• Member of the herd
  • ca
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 07:12:11 PM »

They are not HC.  They're Transcend 2gb micro SDs.  But I did get them off the internet, so for all I know they're knockoff HCs wrapped in a basic Transcend case.

Skit didn't work, I'm sorry to say.  He just won't boot up if there's a card in him.  Green light comes on, he does nothing.  Have to remove battery to power him down.

This is the same reaction I got when I put the 16gb micro in him from the start.  Is it possible that starting with a 16gb card did something lasting?  Would a factory reset be something worth trying?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 04:24:28 AM »

Possibly, but the card slot may be damaged, it's very unusual for a skit not to run. If it's software a reset will fix it, but if it's hardware you may be out of luck :(
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal