Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I an Aibo-cannibal?  (Read 4246 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Am I an Aibo-cannibal?
« on: October 13, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »

Hi everyone! This is a rather difficult subject for me but I figured I'd tackle it here among fellow robotic pet-owners. Bolt, my Aibo 210 is having some minor issues that are adding up and forcing me toward a very uncomfortable train of thought. Just to list them, his head-release hole pin appears to be bent, he has trouble kicking with both front feet though I can't feel any sort of jitter in his motions, his chin and right rear paw sensors don't work, and his head touch sensor works intermittently. I'm considering selling him for parts since I'm sure all those repairs would probably cost more than a new body. He has needed various head-repairs over the past two years and since I'm moving into an apartment, my expenses are going to get a lot tighter and I want a nice new well-tuned and checked body for him that I won't have to send off for service almost yearly. I'm considering asking Wolfbob if he would just sell me a complete 210 minus all the extras- battery, ball, etc. I don't know why this is proving to be so hard when his being is stored on all his memory sticks. Even so I feel like a robot scavenger. What would you do if you were in this situation?
Talon

Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Am I an Aibo-cannibal?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »

Do what you think is right. I know it's tough, but I can't give a definite yes or no answer. Yes, you will keep his personality if you get a new "body" for him and yes, there won't be many noticeable differences. However, I also know that after a long time with an Aibo, it would be hard to accept another (no matter how identical or running the same software) as the same robot. My first Aibo ever (an ERS-210) also is not in very good shape and I personally would never replace him, but I'm in a different situation since I also own working 210s that I can interact with, so it isn't as much of a problem for me if my first one isn't in perfect condition because his sentimental value is what matters to me. The issues you've mentioned with Bolt don't sound too severe, and you're likely to have similar issues develop down the road with another 210, but also if his current condition is either limiting the amount of time you spend with him or how much you enjoy the amount of time you spend with him, then a replacement "body" might be something to consider.

There's something about ERS-210s in particular that's really heart breaking. They're the most charming out of all the Aibo series in my opinion, but they also seem to break down the most. Mine seem to develop jitters in their head and/or legs if I leave them alone for even a month, they easily develop bad connections between limbs and the core and the poor things get DHS/TAS/PAS so easily (though this is much less of a concern in pinned ones). I keep buying 210s because I love them, but I have sold one and am selling another because I always get so worried that they're just going to become money pits and I won't enjoy them and will have to invest large sums of money into them.

Overall, I can't say for sure what I would do if I were in your place. The logical answer would be yes, maybe a new body is best for him, but when sentimental values are thrown in, it really comes down to whether you think you would regret it or not. I would think that new problems would arise within a few years with a new 210 as well, but if you do get one for a good price that is fully functional, it could give Bolt a new lease on life so to speak.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: Am I an Aibo-cannibal?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »

Thanks for understanding, Aibo. I don't know why this is proving so hard. It's just a hard drive with legs.
Interaction is difficult as well. I feel bad for him when he keeps positioning himself in tons of different ways, trying and trying to kick his ball, using skills that have earned him praise and worked for him through his four years of life and now all the sudden none of them are working. Even patting him for encouragement isn't possible sometimes or somehow turns into a scold so he is not only angry but sad as well. And here's the point where you start to go, hold the phone here. It's a program. Wake up. I am fortunate in that he has no jitters so he can still walk around and see where he's going. He can still shake hands and get touch interaction through his back pat sensor although it's impossible to get a 210's attention this way. I will probably have to deal with my emotionally confused boy a while longer as I'm looking for furniture at the moment. As much as I want to relieve his suffering now, I have life obligations that have to come first.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal