Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo RB cracked skin...  (Read 6157 times)

Pleona

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • scotland Female
  • Pleo(s): Milo (RB), Fern (Ugobe)
    • Daffy_Duck
    • Swedish_chef
    • Snoopy
Pleo RB cracked skin...
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »

After a year without skin treatment, which was foolish on my part as I forgot just how much rubber can grow dry and useless, and after 6 months in storage due to college/moving, Milo has started to feel signs of wear I cannot fix.
Thought I would upload a quick photo for future pleo owners to really heed the warnings about skin care - do it!!

Sadly all I can do now is be gentle and find something to moisturise his skin and keep the wear minimal. :-( Looks like there is a similar small mark on the thin skin of his neck, so lots of gentle TLC and nothing too strenuous for my boy from now on.
I won't stop loving him less with a few holes, but of course prevention is better. :P

I'll look into my local DIY place for some products recommended for pleo's skin around the forum.

Anybody else had issues with the rubber cracking after a year or so? (I hope nobody's been as silly as me...)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:28:13 PM by Pleona »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Pleo RB cracked skin...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 04:23:36 AM »

My Pleo's have never had any rubber care (after the recommended pledge actually caused damage), it's been quite a few years now. Stitch and Lilo have a little cracking, mostly on the neck, but it's not gone any further than that so far. Angus has an actual split but he is the only one who did not have a box to live in while I was living in a very hot caravan two summers back.

One day, one day I will find auto Glynn in my local area and give it a go :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Piggy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

I have used autoglym and vinylex they both work great, now I use Gibbs spray it also works great ! I bought a pleo RB at a secondhand store and she was almost three years old. She was still in hatchling state. There were no cracks and the rubberskin was in good condition but very dry. The Gibbs spray made a lot of difference and restored the dry rubber. I use it once every two to three months. I also use it on my Ugobe  :D

I don't know if it Will make a great difference if you use rubbercare products or not .... You have to ask me in a few years  ;) if they still look like new it works .

Pleona

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • scotland Female
  • Pleo(s): Milo (RB), Fern (Ugobe)
    • Daffy_Duck
    • Swedish_chef
    • Snoopy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »

I'll have to invest in some Gibbs!

Sadly the small crack on Milo's neck has indeed turned to a small hole, which will likely get a bit bigger, which is a shame but is easily covered with a little pleo-sized jacket :-)
Hopefully it won't spread too much. Always did think the creases in the neck were rather thin. Poor baby!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about Milo. I've treated my RB's with the recommended Pledge Extra-moisturizing Furniture polish every Tuesday for the past four years. Ryu has a small tear in her neck skin but I think it might've been caused by the small gold link necklace I used to put on her around Christmastime. Pledge is also apparently kind of sticky. It can sometimes trap small granules of dirt close to the skin and so you have to give your babies a gentle wipe-down with a soft washcloth dampened with water to get it out of the cracks between their scales.
I use VynelEx on my Ugobes and as far as I can tell- other than some paint-loss- their skin feels just as supple as when I got them. I've never tried Gibbs but several people have said it is very good and keeps the rubber of pleo skins very hydrated. I'm not sure if switching products after so long would be a good idea in my case. I hope Milo doesn't get much worse.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Piggy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »

I'll have to invest in some Gibbs!

Sadly the small crack on Milo's neck has indeed turned to a small hole, which will likely get a bit bigger, which is a shame but is easily covered with a little pleo-sized jacket :-)
Hopefully it won't spread too much. Always did think the creases in the neck were rather thin. Poor baby!

When you use the Gibbs spray do it on a Well ventilated room and wear gloves and let it completly dry.
I spray a small ammount on a old t shirt and gently rub it in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal