Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morty the Bricked and Skinless Pleo RB  (Read 12739 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Morty the Bricked and Skinless Pleo RB
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 06:07:01 AM »

Hey everyone! I've been really busy the past month and haven't had time to work on Morty. However, yesterday I shined a flashlight on that solder and could see clearly that the wire isn't even touching the board at all! It completely sticks out on the other side, goes straight through the solder but is at least a millimeter or two away from the board itself, and the only thing "connecting" it to the board is a clump of solder. :o That bad solder would explain the issues he's having (it's definitely some sort of short circuit that causes him to run in extremely short instants rather than continuously, making him almost completely unresponsive), but I'm worried that there might be more in him since he's obviously had multiple repairs done in the past.  I'll be getting a soldering iron of my own within the next week, but I have final exams through June 6th, so I might not be able to fix this solder until then. Best case scenario would be that he works fine after this repair, worst case would be that there are ones like this all over him (and other surprise issues) and I'll have to go on a scavenger hunt to find all of them. Well, in any case, fixing this will be a step in the right direction! I definitely haven't given up on this little guy yet.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:45:58 AM by aibo7m3 »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »

Good work, Aibo! I hope this repair will be a step in the right direction for Morty. Keep us posted.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 11:03:48 AM »

Well, I managed to pick up a soldering iron today. The connection was bad enough that I wasn't able to reposition the wire, so I ended up just heating the solder and removing the wire from it. I plan to use solder braid to get rid of the solder there and attach it with new solder that I bought, but I am pretty certain at this point that this is not Morty's main issue. I tried running him with the wire entirely disconnected, and he still behaves exactly the same as before, which would be odd if this wire is the issue since his behaviors seem to suggest a bad connection rather than no connection at all. Still, I'll try getting this wire attached properly and see if it helps. Has anyone used solder braid before? Some advice on how to use it properly would be appreciated if so!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:25 PM »

Sorry, I've never used the braid.  There's advice on Youtube if you're stuck.  Good luck!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal