Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot floppy neck - can I still use him?  (Read 5943 times)

SunshineGirl

• Following the footsteps
  • se Female
  • Pleo(s): Evert (Ugobe 2009)
Hot floppy neck - can I still use him?
« on: February 21, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »

Hi! Is "floppy neck" common on Pleos? My Pleo Ugobeīs neck is broken and he canīt hold his neck up by him self  :(. I have fixed it with bandage - from great tips from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWzP59aJhnw) and he can now walk around and donīt scream because his head is dragging the floor. But Iīm worried about the heat that arise in the area that his neck and back sits together, when he is Active... Is it safe to use him?

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: Hot floppy neck - can I still use him?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forums! I'm glad you were able to provide your pleo a nice support for his neck. I would be very careful running him if he has hot spots. It sounds like his motor might be trying to work the broken cables. A little warmth is expected as a pleo runs but if it's hot, there might be a risk of fire or melting plastic or something.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

SunshineGirl

• se Female
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »

Thanks! :D. And x-tra thanks for Quick response! Ok, the area is HOT and that was my fear: That my charming litte buddy:s time was out... Iīm gonna miss him. I only hade him alive for 5-6 month - and was very gentle when handling him. Have Pleo rb better quality in their joints?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:24:52 PM by SunshineGirl »

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »

RB's are supposed to have better quality neck cables than the original Ugobes, but they do still get snapped cables from time to time. Unfortunately RBs are also prone to jammed legs and I've had to return an RB because of this (though I believe this issue is usually easier to fix than a broken neck since the solution is often just to solder a loose wire back into place).

SunshineGirl

• se Female
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »

That was bad and how tiresome for You! Even if this is fixable I donīt know where to turn to get help in Sweden to fix the loose wire in Pleoīs neck
EDIT - Aha I read too fast. My problem is more problematic... I Think the best thing to do for me is to try to find a new Pleo  :dino-chase:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:58:11 PM by SunshineGirl »

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »

The hot spot that your feeling probably means that some of the broken neck cable is jammed in his mechanics and when the motors are trying to work they it is causing issues.

If your adventurous you could try replacing the broken neck cable in your pleo.  We have some great tutorial info here on the forums for doing neck repairs and many of us have done them now.  So there are people around who could give you advice. 

If doing repairs are not for you and you are going to get rid of him then you should try selling him.  There are people who will buy a pleo to try and fix it or to use for spare parts as it is really hard to get replacement parts.  I myself bought a broken pleo and had a great time pulling him apart and fixing him up.  He now works great :) 

SunshineGirl

• se Female
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 11:43:19 AM »

Iīm sure it just like that.

Hmm, I donīt know just how adventurous I am - but I would love to get him all fit again! Is it a complicated job to do neck repairs? Oh, great were can I find this tutorial info. Iīm not so familiar with this forum yet  :P

Good input. If I deside that I leave him behind I make sure heīll get sold as broken/spare parts. It feels wrong to but him in a trashcan anyway, he is more than "a robot" to me...

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »

The repair really isn't difficult, and we have quite a collection of videos, photos and tips in our thread here: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=2925.0

There is a step by step video but do make sure you read the entire thread before diving in there as we corrected a few things and added more information as we learnt more and compared Pleo's.

You need to know how to use a screwdriver, wire cutters (to cut the cables) and need a bit of patience. It's not a five minute operation! (Other tools I used include pliers and a small pair of clamps).
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

SunshineGirl

• se Female
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 02:13:05 AM »

I myself bought a broken pleo and had a great time pulling him apart and fixing him up.  He now works great :)

I forgot to say: Very good job!  :)

InmemoryofRomeo: Thanks for that hopeful comment and that helpful link!! When my hand is better and the surgery is done, I will give it a go. Sounds so wonderful and rewarding when people manage to fix different Pleo-problems and give the dino:s a new start  :-*

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 04:25:12 AM »

We will be here to help :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

SunshineGirl

• se Female
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 07:59:37 AM »

Thanks so much! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal