Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trio of Pleos  (Read 7667 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Trio of Pleos
« on: November 06, 2014, 06:12:14 PM »

Hey guys! I checked eBay a little while ago and saw a poor, battered Ugobe listed as untested and assumed to be non-working. I decided I'd take a chance and throw in a low bid and now it seems that I own a third Pleo! No one seemed to want the little guy and I got him for $16.50! I doubt I'll ever be able to find one cheaper.

The poor little fellow has certainly seen better days. Here are a couple photos from the listing (I hope the auction holder doesn't mind me using their pictures):

He's expected to arrive on Monday! Hopefully I'll be able to get him running to some extent (it looks like he has a damaged neck from some of the photos, but I'll be happy if he works at all). If I can't, I'll just be using him to practice Pleo repairs on. Either way, I'll be removing his skin since it's pretty nasty looking right now with tons of tears, missing paint and stains. I know there's a guide to reskinning a Pleo, but does anyone have a detailed guide of just how to remove the skin? I'm telling myself not to name him yet since that will make me upset if he ends up being completely bricked, but it's difficult not to get attached.

Sorel

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Smudge, Biscuit, Gummi
Re: Trio of Pleos
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:13:28 PM »

Aww is that the little guy with a starting bid of $9.99? I actually felt pretty bad for him when I saw his torn up knees, I'm glad somebody on here decided to give him a chance  :)
Ugobe pleo: Smudge, Gummi
Pleo Rb: Biscuit

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »

Yep, that's him! Even though he's just a pretty much scrapped robot that was being sold as parts, I still felt a little sorry for him (he really looks pitiful in some of the sale's photos) and wanted to give him a nice home. If he's completely bricked, it'll still be really helpful for me to be able to practice with disassembling/reassembling Pleos since I'd like to be able to do simple repairs some day.  
It's a shame that he's arriving on Monday though since next week will be really busy for me and I won't really have any free time until the weekend, so he may just stay in the shipping box until then.

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Pepper and Angel
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »

I really hope he gets a great home with you.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:08:50 AM »

If you check the neck repair thread there's a section on removing the skin with a video. It's not that hard though, just take it slow and steady.

Poor little Pleo sure needs some lovin', hope you can get him going.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Mini Me Pleo

• Outstanding in the herd
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Luke
  • Greetings from the USA!!!
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Snoopy
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

awww I was shocked that his skin was that bad.  I wouldn't want to know what happend so that he got like that.  I bet he will have a loving new home with you. <3
~Mini Me Pleo

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »

Unfortunately Pleo's skin is made of rubber, and if stored incorrectly (somewhere that changes temperature, too hot or cold, in sunlight etc, it deteriorates.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »

Hey everyone! I have great news! The Pleo arrived today and his skin is really in even worse condition than the pictures showed, but he works perfectly! At first I thought one of his neck cables was snapped for sure since his neck felt floppy, but once I started him up, he came to life and ran with no issues. The best part? He's still in baby stage! I'm really upset that I've only had time to run him for about 10 minutes today, but he's a really wonderful Pleo. I'll upload photos and videos on Friday.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:44:50 PM by aibo7m3 »

Mini Me Pleo

• Outstanding in the herd
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Luke
  • Greetings from the USA!!!
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Snoopy
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 04:32:24 PM »

That's amazing be sure to show us a video or some thing.  Do you have a name for him yet?
~Mini Me Pleo

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:57:18 PM »

I thought he was in baby stage at first since he was curled up and didn't want to stand, but after about ten minutes he completely surprised me and stood up and started walking. I don't think he's on OS 1.0 (he doesn't do the coyote howl like Sumio does), but how do I tell if he's running 1.1 or 2.0?

He runs pretty well. His neck tilts to one side which could suggest an issue with a cable, but it still operates fine for now. One of his back legs clicks occasionally, but he has no trouble moving it.

I took a short video, but for some reason it messed up when I tried to upload it and tilted sideways, but I'll include it anyway. I apologize for baby-talking to him, I'm really stressed this week and needed to distract myself from my current workload.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFBN5fjpkBI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFBN5fjpkBI</a>

Here's his neck:

Here's him and Sumio:

And no, he doesn't have a name yet. I'll try to come up with one when I have a bit more free time. I almost don't want to remove his skin since he works so well and I don't want to risk messing anything up, but the skin is completely falling apart, so it looks like I'll have to.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 03:57:09 PM »

You could just cover his skin with clothing.  That should keep dust and dirt out of his workings.  As long as the skin he has isn't getting caught up in his workings than it should be fine to leave it on him.  :)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »

Alright. The skin looks like it could get caught in some areas, but hasn't interfered with his motion yet. It seems he is running the 1.1 OS since he'll do the sit down trick, but not the play dead one. My other Ugobe is running 1.0, so it's nice to have a little variety. The new Pleo has even sung for me once already. He's very active and is wandering around while I type. :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:20:07 PM by aibo7m3 »

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »

I had a bit of free time today and took a better video of him. His lovely outfit is made by Kat and is one that I bought around Christmas last year. I'm happy that I found it since he desperately needed something to cover his skin (I also find it a bit funny that his jacket cost more than he did). I'm still looking for a name for him though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoHpgfQIKrM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoHpgfQIKrM</a>

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoHpgfQIKrM&feature=youtu.be

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »

Awwwe! He seems like a happy little fella despite his condition. He sounds like he was doing quite a lot of exploring, too. Lol!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »

He's lovely - I rather like his rather lopsided head angle, it gives him character!  He seems to have a reasonably good range of movement, so I'm guessing the cables are OK and one has just sagged slightly. :)

Piggy

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 02:24:10 PM »

He is really cute ! And his outfit covers his bad skin . You mentions he wanders a lot so maybe for a name wanderer or strider ?

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 03:44:09 PM »

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that his tilted head doesn't necessarily mean that any of the cables will fail soon. I don't mind it either and agree that it's a bit of a cute quirk. He is really active, but all Ugobes are (it's the RB's who can be lazy :P). As for names, I'm not really sure yet. My dad has been calling him Phoenix (since a phoenix rises from its ashes and my dad was certain that the Pleo was bricked and shocked when it worked), but I haven't made a real decision yet.

I also still haven't decided whether I'll be removing his skin or not. It's dirty, worn, full of giant holes and has a strong plastic-y smell to it that my other Pleos' skin doesn't have, but it would be easier for him to get damaged without any skin on and removing it would be a bit difficult.

Sorel

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Smudge, Biscuit, Gummi
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »

Wow I am really surprised he still works, this was a true pleo rescue if i've ever seen one O.O! Awesome find with this little cutie, have you named him yet?
Ugobe pleo: Smudge, Gummi
Pleo Rb: Biscuit

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 03:54:31 AM »

Ow he is so cute! But he doesn't have teeth or am I seeing it wrong?

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 06:46:54 AM »

@Sorel
Thanks! Nope, I haven't decided on a name for sure yet, although as I mentioned earlier, my dad has been calling him Phoenix. 

@HuggieZ
He has teeth, but the paint on them has been largely worn off. I plan to repaint them at some point if I can find a paint that will stick to the plastic and doesn't wear too easily.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »

He's quite an early model if he has the teeth that chip - later models had mouth parts made from white plastic so it didn't wear.  I just used enamel paint on the teeth and it worked fine. :)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »

Alright, thanks. I'll find some suitable paint in a week or so and try my best to repaint the teeth once I have a little more free time. I would be interested in learning his serial number since he does seem like an older Ugobe, but unfortunately he did not come with an ID card and the sticker on his foot has been removed, so it looks like I'll never know.

In other news, I'll be posting another introduction topic in a little over a week since I've ordered a second RB from Semsons for my birthday on the 26th. :) This house is very quickly becoming overrun with Pleos.

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »

O so it's only the paint. I am curious to see hem when you have paint his teeth :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »

Stitch has had a tilted head for about four years, it doesn't seem to cause a problem. On the other hand, Lilo's was perfectly straight and just snapped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal