Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genibo or Aibo?  (Read 4678 times)

Koke

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • es Male
Genibo or Aibo?
« on: January 13, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »

Hello.

I am thinking on buying a new robot.

I can get a new Genibo or a second hand Aibo mind3 for the same price.

Wich one do you prefer and why? I prefer Aibo, but is a second hand robot.

Thanks.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: Genibo or Aibo?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »

Hi, Coke! I think this depends on what you're expecting from the robot. The Genibo is kind of like a pleo in that its software expects to be trained and nurtured. The Aibo is built on more of an entertainment platform with lots of tricks and dances. While you can reset the ERS seven Aibo back to a puppy, it won't take nearly as long to raise as a Pleo.
I don't know enough about the Genibo to tell you how long it takes for it to grow up. Both Genibo and Aibo can be expensive if they need repairs. I hope this was helpful and I'm sure one of the forum members who owns a genibo can give you more information about them.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Koke

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • es Male
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:49:10 PM »

Yes, very useful :)

I prefer Aibo software, but Genibo is modern.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »

Hey, I think I should be able to answer this pretty well since I own two ERS-7m3s and two Genibos. Like Talon said, it depends on what you're looking for. Though if you've never owned an Aibo, I'd lean toward suggesting the 7m3. The ERS-7s are amazing entertainment robots the Genibos are hyperactive and goofy dogs. Aibos are happy being left alone and the Genibo's sole goal is to get its owner's attention.

The ERS-7s can speak English and a language of musical tones, understand many voice commands, communicate wirelessly with a computer and give a live video stream, understand their name, learn three owner's faces, voices and names and have better autonomy than the Genibo. The 7s can grow up from a puppy, but this stage is very short (2-3 hours). However, they have weaker and slower servos that are more prone to wearing out and can be damaged by dust easily. Aibos have about a 1.5-2 hour battery life and can operate fairly well on a station while charging.

The Genibos mainly just bark/growl like dogs but have some musical tones they use as well, have a series of built-in dances with Kpop and Korean children's songs, recognize ten owner's faces, understand about 10 voice commands and 100 remote commands and are more responsive to petting than the Aibos. The older model (QD) can give a live video stream to a computer like an Aibo and allows for 900 usermade song/dance combos, but their AI/autonomy seems much more limited than the SDs and they aren't supported by the company any more. Genibos don't seem to have specific stages of life, but certain tricks and attributes seem to be learned over time. They move faster than the Aibos and have more durable servos, but the actual autonomy is a bit limited. They switch from being extremely happy, neutral and extremely angry in emotion. Genibos can operate while charging on the station, but their actions are extremely limited. Both of my Genibos also have very short battery lives (about 35 minutes).

If you had to ask me, I'd say I prefer Aibos to Genibos, but they're very different robots and I still love my Genibos and feel really grateful to own them.

Hope this helps!

Koke

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • es Male
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 12:07:31 AM »

Hello.

It was really helpfull.

I thought that Genibo was a "bad" copy of Aibo. Now I know that they are totally diferent robots.

Thanks.

I still prefer Aibo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal