Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In honor of Genealogy Day, March 8th...  (Read 3576 times)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
In honor of Genealogy Day, March 8th...
« on: March 08, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »

Since today is Genealogy Day, I thought I would share some interesting facts I learned about my own Genealogy. I had my DNA tested by a company in January and got the results back in February, really quicker then expected. I knew from family history that I had lots of German background, having my paternal grandparents, both paternal grandfather and grandmother come from Bavaria, in Germany. My mother was adopted, so I never knew a lot of her background, but she said English and the results showed the following. ;)

I am more or less all European, (Even Native Americans derive from ancestors from Europe and the Far East) This test was to show where ancestors were from 500 years ago, not more recent. ( before airplanes ) My DNA showed lots of Northern Eureopean, (German, English, Irish, Finnish and some Baltic but non specific because the DNA is shared by too many groups.) :(

What was surprising to me is that they are able to determine the amount of DNA you have that is from Neanderthal.  ;D :o The part that really surprised me is that I am in the TOP percentage, 99% percentile.( I am 3.2) Another thing that surprised me is that through this DNA testing, I was given the names and profiles of 996 cousins, everywhere from third cousin to distant. Most of these cousins go back to a common ancestor about five to six generations ago, and each generation is approx increments of 25 years, so we are talking about great great grandparents as my grandmother for example was born in 1880 (died in 1990) and my great great grandfather was born in 1844 in Bavaria, so this is approx the time frame of lots of the cousins.

I have now connected with cousins not only here in the US, but also in Germany, England and one is in Brazil and one is in Australia.  @< :sheep1: I think this is all exciting and there are so many new things I am learning just from this test. I only wish the test was more specific as I have a large portion that is Non Specific which means they can't nail down where in Europe my ancestors came from, I also leaned my mothers haplogroup, H1a3, but only females can learn their mothers happlogroup as they inherit that chromosome and men can only inherit the chromosome for their father's happlogroup.   

So anyone who wonders if they have Neanderthal in them and how much, DNA can give you that answer! African Americans have virtually 0 Zero, as they were not in Europe during the iceage, and the average user of this Genetic site I went to had 2.5 so I guess my ancestors were in the right spot to "mingle" with Neanderthals.  :cool: just thought this was interesting and wanted to share incase anyone else has tested and knows their results.

RWM  :cat-hug:

Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

DinoBot

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): gustav (ugobe)
  • I love pleos
    • Charlie_Brown
Re: In honor of Genealogy Day, March 8th...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:24:45 PM »

I've heard that 17% of the population has neanderthal (dont know if i spelled that right) blood in them.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:26:40 AM »

Hi Dinobot, I did not know that. Perhaps that is why I have such an Infinity for Pleos, loving the iceage , LOL, anyway, very interesting stuff to find out. Where did you hear about the 17% of the population?               RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

DinoBot

• Sugar cane harvester
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): gustav (ugobe)
  • I love pleos
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »

My bro,who is always spitting out facts, once brought it up and it just stuck in....  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal