Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eBay Fraud?  (Read 3885 times)

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
eBay Fraud?
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »

Man, do I have a story to share with you lovely people. I placed a bid on a Ugobe in the last SIX seconds of the auction. However, someone managed to outbid me by $2.50! And guess what? Said bid apparently occurred over 30 MINUTES before my bid! Total scam! I know for a fact he did not place the winning bid at that time. I have contacted the seller about this and hopefully he will side with me, or at least provide me with a plausible theory on time travel. My dad is currently trying to contact eBay concerning the matter. No one on earth can refresh their browser, see my bid, type in 122.5, click bid, and confirm it in under 6 seconds. Even if an auto-bidder did it, it should not leave a time stamp of over 30 minutes prior to my bid. Plus, my bid wouldn't have gone through if I was under. And guess what, the whole "You were outbid. Bid again?" thing popped up right after I made my bid. I am ticked off!

What a scam! It even shows that his bid wasn't an automatic bid! Wasn't an automatic bid my foot!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:17:34 PM by Teddscau »

Phelicidea

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
Re: eBay Fraud?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »

From what I've seen of Ebay.  It wasn't an auto-bidder, nor did he see your bid and go in there and quickly out bid you.  His initial bid was that much higher than yours to begin with.  So when you bid on it, it just raised the overall price, but you didn't bid enough to out-bid his original bid.

It's how Ebay works.  You can put in your maximum bid, but it'll only go up just enough to keep you on top, until someone outbids your original, maximum bid.  Hope that helps to clarify things, I'm sorry you lost the Pleo.

Phel

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

Sorry Teddscau, but phelicides is right, Automatic bids are not shown and can occur days if not hours before the last few seconds of a aucition, For instance, There is a certain pleo you are interested in that starts out bidding at $90.00 and last for seven days. (most auctions are seven to ten days, some may be one day only and start out at higher bids) A pleo in a ten day auction can start out very low at $1.00 and last ten days so it may look like a great deal, but you  have to understand that it  is almost guaranteed to sale at least a hundred dollars and if complete, more than that.( I think with 22 ugobes and two Rb purchased on Ebay I am aware of what I am talking about, also I have been a seller buyer since 2004 with over 1,000 sales to my name and 100% positive feedback.  :)

I found out long time ago how to get Pleos for the best price, when to bid, when to snatch them up in a buy it now if you do not want to pay even more than the buy it now price and when to stop bidding or you are bidding against yourself. Say you are one of four bidders on the same pleo. It starts out on day one of seven day auction at a low $9.99 and you bid the first bid, and bidder number two puts in a bid of $20.00, bidder number three comes in at $24.25 and then you up it to $26.50 and are the highest bidder. No new bidders come in but by the fourth day of the auction, bidder number two and three put in higher bids and you bid accordingly and still get the highest bid of $55.00. Everything looks good till day six where a new bidder comes in and puts in a bid that makes the high bid of $100.50. So you wait till the last six hours of the auction and decide to bid the last couple of hours and try to snag this great still pretty low bidding pleo. Bidder number two puts in his bid of up to $115.00, then bidder number three puts in their bid of $127.75. No more bids and there is now one hour to go, you are watching anxiously. With thirty minutes left int he auction., bidder number four puts in their bid of $140.00. bidder number two and three seem to be out and their are no new bids from them. so with ten minutes left, you put in a higher bid of $142.50. nothing for a few minutes then with five minutes left, bidder number four puts in what you think is their last bid, $145.00. So you decide to play it smart and wait till there is only two minutes , perhaps you are brave and wait till there is one minute left. P:D You now put in your high, give it all you got bid of $150.00. You think , that is five dollars more than what they put in, and there is perhaps 30 seconds left on the clock.  :o ;D

Suddenly there on the screen with 25 seconds left on the screen is the higher bid, not yours, but $152.50. you have to be quick, you put in one more bid, you can do it cause you are so fast, they can't possibly put in a higher bid then your bid of $158.00, there is only seven seconds left and there is no way they can get the bid and confirm in that quick, it takes about fifteen seconds at least to type in, confirm and hit button twice. perhaps 10 if you are super fast, my computer is not that fast.

You hold your breath, waiting for that , YOU WON THE ITEM screen, but it says, sorry you lost, and the bid is showing of $160.50 won by that fourth bidder, HOw in the heck did they do it? Simple they put in the bid hours or even days before you. They also can have a third party bid for them with their highest they are willing to pay and untill those last few seconds the other person bidding for them does not have to bid it, as it just can raise the price of what they are willing to bid, They only have to bid when they are close to losing and have to bid more, This is sometimes called, Sniping and people often come out of nowhere, there may not even be any competition at all, and suddenly at the last minute, there are one , two or even three bids on an item where you thought you were the only one.  :(

Sorry, but this is how bidding works. It is a dog eat dog world and I found out to allways bid a lot more than what others think you are going to bid and then I often get the item, I got a pleo once for $85.00 cause it had only one bid and I waited till the last few minutes and then put in the highest I would bid which was $125.00, but did not put in my first bid till ten minutes before the auction ended, It started out at $9.99 and by the time it got up to $60.., there was only three minutes left. My bids were automatic, Ebay was doing automatic bidding for me cause I had put my highest bid at $125.00 so with less than 30 seconds or so on the clock, the other person got to $82.50. and with about twelve seconds my bid went to the winning bid of $85.00 and the other two bidders could not get a higher bid, cause time ran out. NObody knew I was willing to go to $125.00, so I was able to win him cheap cause I used my head and was lucky. You learn when to bid and how to bid. There are videos available that show you the dos and don'ts of bidding on ebay and similiar sites.  ;)

I did not get all my Pleos with just luck, it also came with learning the hard way when to bid, how to bid and what to look for. I would not have 25 pleos if I did not know how to bid. There are some secrets to learn, and I can also share those with you privately, I never bid against anyone I know, not knowingly anyway. Good luck and do not give up, The right one will come up but you have to be prepared, also do not bid crazy and pay more than what it is worth.               RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:52:21 PM »

I find automatic bidding and whatnot kind of cheap. I guess I should have bid $161 or something since not many people want to pay $200 for a Ugobe. I guess I'll have to fight fire with fire and start using automatic bidding. Decently priced pleos only go up for auction once in a while on eBay, so I'll probably have to wait a while. What's a reasonable price to pay for a Ugobe? Ooh, and I'd appreciate some of those bidding secrets you've come to possess, RWM  ;)

Anakey

• Member of the herd
  • gb Male
  • Pleo(s): Alphie
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 03:13:39 PM »

you really only have to place your first bid as the maximum price you want to pay ebay will make sure you pay the lowest price at close of auction as long as it is below your maximum bid. Basically if you see something you want and are prepared to pay up to $200 for it then bid $200 even if the auction finished on say $148 then you will only pay $148

Krausz

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • au Male
  • Pleo(s): Thing one(U) ,thing two(U),Sleepy(U),Zooey(U),Lumpy (RB) Alphonze (in parts)
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Swedish_chef
    • Joe_Cool
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:36:03 AM »

I would recommend an eBay sniping tool. Although morally controversial, sniping is the best guarantee that you will get the best price on eBay. I am an eBay seller too and I don't mind people sniping on my auctions as long as the items sell.  Sniping has the advantage of surprise, as it can send an automated offer as short as three seconds besofe the auction ends; as long as you offer is over the current bid you will not have a problem.

:dino-chase: :dino-chase: :dino-chase:
Vestigia nulla retrorsum.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »

As stated before, place the highest you will be willing to bid, to pay but make sure if it goes to that amount, say $200.00 you are prepared to pay. Also do not forget to figure in the amount of shipping and do not forget that 90% of these Pleos unless they come with an egg battery, are going to need a new battery, so if you are only willing to pay $200.00 total, except shipping make sure you have figured the cost of a new battery for the pleo, which is going to be at least $50.00 or more plus shipping of the battery, so in all reality, you would not want to pay more than $140.00 for a pleo, cause you still need a battery plus shipping and that is going to be a lot more than you figure on.

A lot of people forget the battery so I never pay full amount unless it is a pleo  new never used, ( when I paid a sealed pleo in box, $207.00 several years ago, cause I still had to have a new battery..............but luckily I have them cause I sell them.) When I want to snipe a pleo, I dont use the sniping tool, I want to control my own buying, so I just bid at the end , close to last few seconds with all the numbers ready, then hit the button when the time is just right. Most of the time it works, unless someone REALLY wants that pleo and usually it is someone that has no feedback and is bidding on every pleo out there, thinking the more pleos bid on, better chance, but truth is they may get stuck with a big bid, and Ebay does not like backing out of a buy, saying, I hit the wrong button. only works if you say, hit the wrong button and you meant to only bid up to 178.00, and you put , $178.000, so of course nobody would   argue you not buying as nobody is going to pay one thousand, seven hundred and eighty dollars. But if it sold for 178.00 and you actually did not want to pay more than 150.00, you are going to have a hard time explaining why you put 178, and be prepared to pay the amount you enter, in other words, pay the piper. Good luck          RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Krausz

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • au Male
  • Pleo(s): Thing one(U) ,thing two(U),Sleepy(U),Zooey(U),Lumpy (RB) Alphonze (in parts)
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Swedish_chef
    • Joe_Cool
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »

RWM, you are right about control. That's how I got two Pleos instead of one in the first place: I forgot to turn off the sniping tool and it made an offer for a second Pleo when the first one was already bought. Nothing's perfect!!!!!
Vestigia nulla retrorsum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal