Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random question of the day... Is anyone here good at resumes?  (Read 3201 times)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Random question of the day... Is anyone here good at resumes?
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:59:34 AM »

There's a job being offered at my school for next year for a full time classroom teacher. Obviously I really, really want it! Unfortunately I will be going head to head with the person who beat me to a part time position last year :( So I am going to need to turn my kind of sucky resume, cover letter and selection criteria responses into the most awesome, amazing and impressive resume ever.

Is anyone here good at that sort of thing?

If you aren't good at it then at least send me some luck :)

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Random question of the day... Is anyone here good at resumes?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »

Well, let's see . . . you've traveled internationally twice now, so you bring a world of experience to the classroom.  You're the only teacher around who brings her own pet shark and live dinosaur to class for the students to experience first hand.  Under references, you can now list Gandalf.   And, you can honestly say you've been providing training to both children and adults worldwide for years.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »

I think Mike is right, you have what it takes and just be honest and yourself. I taught for over 14 years and who knows how many years as s a volunteer both in the classroom, in my son's and daughter's baseball teams as a coach, etc, etc. They will easily see your enthusiastic vibrant self and just answer the questions and situations they will ask about the way you would handle them and you will have no problem.

:cheer: :flowers:                 RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »

Thanks guys, unfortunately teaching applications are pretty cut throat, all the experience in the world won't help unless I can present it perfectly.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »

There is an awesome book you can get that helps with resume writing and selection criteria it is by Lloyd White and it is called Write a winning job application / A guide to addressing selection criteria.  We had a lecture by him at TAFE and he was great.  He gave lots of helpful tips for addressing your selection criteria and for putting your resume together.  The book cost about $25 and is well worth the buy.
I can also send you a copy of my resume and some cover letters I have recently written to address selection criteria for jobs if that will help.  At least then you will have an example of someone else's to compare yours to.  :) 

Angela

• Pleontologist
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Guy, LeeLoo, Muisje, Lady Piep Piep, Tredje
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • Busy Busy :'(
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »

Good luck IMR!  :cheer:
23 rat pups for sale :)

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:37 AM »

Good luck IMR!  :flowers: I think what Mike says about your jet setting adventures being an asset to students, you would have a good world view and your robots should also give you extra points surely, who else can say they can bring a dinosaur to help with prehistoric lessons and also robotics lessons. Kids will need to start learning how robots and other technology works early on because they are big business now and even more in the future when they leave school we will probably be even more dependant on technology than we are now. I think you would bring a lot to the school and since you have already been working there for a while they should know that you are a good worker. I'll cross my fingers for you! :cheer:

If anyone does have good advice on resumes I would also be interested in hearing it! Do you have to wait until the workplace advertises for new workers or can you just walk in and ask to give your resume to the manager in person?
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal