Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe Pleo paint retouching  (Read 84998 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Ugobe Pleo paint retouching
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »

After looking at the link RWM posted of the retouch kit being sold for Pleos I was jolted into action to try out the acrylic inks I bought a few weeks ago.  The paint that seller shows looks an awful lot like acrylic ink, and I know that's what a lot special effects and prosthetics people use to paint latex.

I originally bought four colours, Sap Green (which looks pretty close to a Pleo green, at a pinch), Light Green, Prussian Blue (Hue) and Yellow Ochre and made up the darkest Pleo green from mixing Prussian Blue and Light Green at (very roughly 2/3 drops of green to one blue - the inks come with a dropper).

Iggy before - sorry I don't have a better before - it doesn't really show how rubbed he was above the lip area.  I'm sure most of you have some idea, though!  ;)

Artists Acrylic Inks

Mixed the green as Sap Green is a bit too light

Still drying, but looking a lot better - especially around the mouth, which was pretty rubbed.

I will probably do more when it's dry and then try to add the lighter, brighter colours - will report back.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:42:05 PM by Crewella »

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Ugobe Pleo paint retouching
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »

Looks good Crewella, glad I was able to "remind you " with the other post. anything to save money and if it works is great. Let us know how the rest comes out. :)
                               RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »

Good stuff Crewella!

Can't even see where you've retouched, when it's dry does the acrylic feel like the original paint too?

Looking forward to more piccies.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »

I would love to know how well this goes.  I'd like to get some touch up paint for Gumble - or maybe even a new color scheme if I was to get brave enough.   :)

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »

I think the paint looks great, Crewella! I might have to get another Ugobe to try it on! My Ugobe's paint isn't worn enough Yet to try it, And i'd be nervous about doing it to Wilbur. My kids love him so much. He is like the family dog! :) I would love yo hear more about how it turns out and where we can order the paint if it is successful. ;D

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »

Looks really good! I'm gonna get some for my ugobe guy when his back gets worse, it's alredy fraying up a bit, but it's only been 3 1/2 months so far. These look like the perfect thing to use for re-doing warenty-expired pleos (makeovers).
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

Is it dry yet?  How does it look and feel when dry?   :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »

Yes it's dry - I must say I'm soooooo pleased with it!  You really can hardly see where's been painted, and the texture is exactly the same as the original paint - it must be because inks are so much thinner in consistency, and I did apply it very sparingly as a first coat, thinking I could always do another if required.  It even feels the same.  I will take some more pics, then give another layer and post later.   ;D

Thanks for all your interest, peeps!  :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »

If your happy with the result I am going to buy myself some of those inks and touch up Gumble.  Or maybe I should just get a lot in some other colors and re paint him  %)  No probably just the touch up. :)  Still not very brave. :P
Kat

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »

Beautiful! Glad it worked out, I  might get some to repaint an old pleo, but i'm kinda scared... I have NO artistic talent, (allthough, I can do didgital art that I don't really get into)
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »

Sounds great Crewella, he does look great. ARe those inks very expensive and how much do  you have to use to touch up an area? How long do you think One bottle will last just for touch ups like you did?
           And as for "No Artistic talent", LuckyPleo, it isn't artistic talent that matters the most I think, but the love and enthusiasim you have or enjoyment of a particular art. If you enjoy and think you do pretty well with digital art, then you probably would do just fine touching up or taking that final plunge. You never know till you plunge in or you can just dip your toes in if you like... :D LOL
                        Glad you posted this Crewella. :)
                                             RedwoodsMama

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »

Crewella, he looks like a new pleo.  :) This may be the answer many of us have been looking for, giving a little rejuvenating paint job to our little worn looking dinos.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »

Right, I took some more pics of the dried green layer of paint on Iggy's head:

As well as worn areas on the head, I had just added the dark green to the creases in the neck and a very thin layer working further into each neck section - I cannot emphasise how little paint was on the brush after the first couple of touches on the very worn areas, and I tried to keep to only the worn parts so you could still see what remained of the original paint where it remained - that's why you can still see some of his original light green forehead patch.  The ink actually dried slightly darker than it looks when wet - I'll note that for future attempts, but only applying it where absolutely necessary helped it blend better with the original paint.

When dry, I also tried pulling at the skin to see how the fresh layer coped with stretch - it certainly seemed to stretch with the skin OK.  I'll watch it over the next few weeks on the neck area and see what happens.  The ink is very highly pigmented, which is why you can get good results with such a thin application and I guess that's part of why it stays on.

I then tried adding the lighter patches.  I'd been fine with a brush, albeit blotted and very lightly loaded, for the dark green base, but when I tried it for the light green it went on too thickly so I ended up blotting most of it off again.  It worked better to sort of stipple it on, either with the end of a blotted brush or with a small sponge - something like an eyeshadow applicator would be perfect.  And I kept blotting it with a tissue so it blended better at the edges.  I have noticed that I've over blotted in a couple of places and revealed some skin again, but that's easily sorted.

ADDED:  I meant to say that, now that I have two layers I can feel the painted areas are slightly 'dryer' to the touch - the ink is very matt.  Especially as the rest of Iggy's skin is silky as I've treated it with Autoglym (I did actually paint straight on top without cleaning it off first - this was very much a 'suck it and see' experiment).  I will treat again with Autoglym after a few days, and I'm guessing the painted reas will just feel like the rest again.

I AM really pleased with it - it's taken years off Iggy!!  :D

My only concern now it how the paint lasts.  For anybody thinking of trying it, I'd just wait a couple of weeks to see how it stays on.  Also, I'm pretty sure acrylic ink is OK on the skin, but it is quite acidic so I'd rather just make sure Iggy's face doesn't melt over the next couple of weeks before I recommend anybody else tries it!  :o

I have a spare skin, remember!  ;)

I promise to report back and give details of the paint, colour, prices etc. in a couple of weeks for anybody that's interested.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:13:09 AM by Crewella »

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 05:39:09 PM »

I'm really looking forward to your results Cruella. But I'm not too patient. I really hope it is and stays a flexible paint. I really want 1 of this paint package.
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »

If someone were contemplating a whole new color scheme, say reds or browns or yellows etc... how well do you think this stuff would cover over the original green?  Or do you think the original green would need to be attempted to be removed first?
Just curious.  Just in case. :P :)
Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:56 PM »

Acrylic ink probably would work best in a spray gun, as adding layers by brush could start to mix the colours and go 'muddy'.  Careful application would cover fine - the light green completely covered the dark green when I added it.  I might try that too!  ;)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »

Hmmm.....Might just be off to order myself some of this ink  ;)   ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 09:15:27 PM »

I'm also kind of hoping that one of the 'artier' members will know something about working with acrylic inks .................... %)

ADDED:   OMG!!!!!  Look what I found!!!!!  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

http://www.studioartshop.com/acatalog/PearlescentLiquidAcrylic29ml.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:59:30 PM by Crewella »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 11:48:55 PM »

I am gladl you guys got brave enough to order some, Crewella that is. Go for it Kat, it may be fun too! :D I do have some already on hand so guess I will have to experiment too, My color Poll is almost over( next week) and I said I would be doing some new colors, so mayby it will be Acrylic Inks this time instead of Oils. I do have some good colors but not all the colors I will need, but I am off to experiment and see what happens and I will report back too,

If you know me by now ( The Mad Painter...LOL  He He he.. 8)) it will end up being something whole body painted so it doesn't look the same....or will it, I just can't say... Remember what ever happens to my Pleos Crewella, YOU STARTED IT....another Mad Midnite painting session. ;D OH Crewella, how did you know you were going to get me started on something else...I think you knew and it was an evil plot to get me to try this stuff...you tricky little mischeif pleo maker! :D
                                                     RedwoodsMama

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »

pearlescent - does that mean shiny or sparkly or kind of swirly or shimmery?  I think I have to get me some and try it.  Now what colors am I going to get?   Too many choices! :) :) :) :) :) :P

Now I'm disappointed!  >:(  They only ship with in the UK.  No fair! :(
Oh well none of this for me then. :(

Not to worry.  I found somewhere that sells the same ones Crewella used and order a bunch of colors from them.  Should take a week or two to get to me. :)   Plenty of time to decide if I am just going to touch up or do a whole new look. %)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:24:39 AM by kat »

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 12:11:18 AM »

Means SHimmery! I think matt would be the best.

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »

Congratulations Kat! I hope that paint work!
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 12:36:45 AM »

You may be right, Fancyfont, but one of my favourite things about reptile skin has always been the iridescent sheen you get on a healthy specimen.  Just a highlight on some of the lighter areas might look rather good ......... possibly.........????  :-\

Oh dear - am I leading you astray RWM?  :P

I think it's the other way around - I do a lot of restoratons and retouching with antique furniture so doing Iggy was no big difference, but you've got me wanting to get all creative and try out pearlescent paint, for heaven's sake!  :D  ;)  :-*
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:58:53 AM by Crewella »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 03:23:47 AM »

Crewella, you did indeed lead me astray.... :-[It is true. I have been trying to fight this Pleo addiction but with so many Pleos that just beg for color what can I do. I thought I had it under controll with just a little painting here and there............... :oLittle did I know that from across the oceans a lass far away would sway me with tales of inks....INKS glorious INKS....just sitting in my husbands art supplies...oh the shame of those inks and now where they lie....Poor little Pleo woken from his drunken slumber to be submitted to new and unheard of coloring....what will his comrades think when he returns to the box or shelf of shame.... :( %) Ah, now I can sleep knowing that is it all in Crewella's hands, her doing here in the Redwoods, I am just the instrument of this new addiction...oh what will they all think...I must retire before I find out Bigfoot may come down from the Mountains and carry the Pleos away to hide in his far off cave to ward off the on lookers who may torment the little green one...

Mind you I am not done, tis late at night and only the basic coat...inks and paints, my oh my!

Thanks Crewella for feeding my painting frenzy.                 RedwoodsMama

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 06:55:23 AM »

Wow.. pretty amazing.. Lyssa is getting to the point where she needs some retouching so I will wait like you said and if Iggy doesn't MELT  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o (omg)
Then maybe I can try too..  Upsetting though as she also has a tear now in her front leg right in the 'sweet spot' that is moving the most :( Trying to repair it but no luck yet.. can't wait to hear how the paint goes!

Pages: [1] 2 ... 20   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal