Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Derek Dotson interview at the Consumer Electronics Show  (Read 16209 times)

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
Derek Dotson interview at the Consumer Electronics Show
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:57:46 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDXdOdZ-Cqw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDXdOdZ-Cqw</a> There you go. I don't wanna spoil anything.

Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Furby
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • pleo will kick his butt!!!!
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
Re: Derek Dotson interview at the Consumer Electronics Show
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »

I love the green eyes
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:48:13 AM »

Ooh there's some interesting stuff there... especially towards the end. Thank you for posting.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »

I allways enjoy Derek Dotson interviews, you can really tell that Pleo is his Project and he has such enthusiasim for Pleo, The last couple of minutes do have some great stuff in it, I think I saw this before but it was quite awhile ago, and it is nice to have it posted here where everyone can see it. Derek Dotson allways gives very clear and concise explanations of what Pleo can do and what is instore for future Pleos,
               It is also very good to know and to hear first hand that Innvo is listening to their customers about concerns for Pleo and what they would like to see not just as improvements but for in the future. The part about a "larger size so Pleo can navagate better" and also about seeing what Pleo can see, is what caught my interest the most . I think he said something wireless along the line of bluetooth etc. For now I would not really be interested ( personallly that is.) in another lifeform or type of dinosaur) I think Pleo is perfect as the choice of dinosuar, very cuddly and a good size . When and if he gets bigger say twice as big, I won't be carrying him around as much, as I have a bad back and ten pounds is my limit, This was a great video to watch and not just educational if you haven't seen it before or in awhile, but entertaining as well, Boy that Pleo sure behaves, Maybe he just has his leaf!
                                                                       RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Malfie

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »

Thank you for the video. It was very interesting! :)

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »

You guys are very welcome! >:-D
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »

Cool video, is it an older one? I mean.. Pleo is obviously not available from where he said it is at the moment...  also, did they come with a different battery and NOT overheat every 40 minutes at first? I'm going to go comment on the overheating, as he asked. :P

I really like Derek Dotson, he does seem so into what he does and he sure helped me with my weird Pleo....
and yeah, that was a really nice Pleo..

- Sarah

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »

Hi, Latrine. Were you the one with the "autistic Pleo"? How exactly did he behave?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »

Old video of course. Like I said from the Consumer Electronics Show....

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:31:57 PM »

Lol yes I suppose he was autistic .. he was happy enough.. actually he was ridiculously happy... he ran around doing 'Ta-Da pretty much all the time.  He didn't really react to much, I think a tiny bit with petting him but I don't think he ate and he was not in the baby stage.

At first I was like ok... that's kind of neat.. then I was like uhh why is he running without the clock battery in his foot.. so my bf grabbed the screwdriver and then said.. uh, there is no third screw and his feet look nothing like the book.. RB battery was ridiculously hard to get in.. my bf had to do it.. which I wasn't too sure about because  I'm still sick and weak and he's a lot stronger than me.. but then Degers helped me out and told me not to even try and put that battery in again.. from seeing the back legs and the battery slot sith I guess 'guts' exposed

Then I realized, with help from everyone here, especially Degers who walked me through lots of stuff,  that he had ugobe feet and he turned to be a prototype.. Derek told me on the phone he had no idea how it got to Hong Kong and was not happy when I told him the bottoms of his feet were dirty before I even put him on the floor.. I also told him about as many of the issues I read here as I could so .. I hope that helps.. I also told him I'd bring my Pleo everywhere.. even thought bf thinks I'm crazy :)

I admit I was hoping to get to keep Frank, my little blue 'autistic' Pleo, just because it was obvious they wouldn't really have a use for him but Derek said he really wanted to figure out how it happened so it wouldn't happen again.   I should have taken video... :'(  But here you can see he looks more like the underside of my Ugobe guys .. and under the RB skin I could feel the slots the the older models have.  His back legs too, no battery spot.

Sorry Kristy.. didn't mean to hijack your post.. thanks for the video:)

- Sarah

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

No problem. lol Welcome. ^_^

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »

Loved that video. I'm super exited, a bigger, more active pleo is exactly what i've been wanting. If they were bigger they could have a walk-up charger too! I'd love for pleo to be live the aibos and be able to walk on their own arround a small room instead of across a table. :) I can't imagine my little guy as something besides a camasuarous though, could you imagine if he trie to roar like a rex?  :D
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »

Mine all wander round the floor all the time - Iggy in particular (Ugobe Pleo running OS2) loves it and sometimes makes a break for it into the kitchen!  :D

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »

lol I love that Crewella.

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »

how sweet, i guess they walk somewhat fast in short bursts, but Pleo is more of a cuddler on top of me being unable to update him.
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »

On a table really? The only time I put Ryu on any other surface other than the floor was when he was first hatched. This was mainly because I wanted him to feel secure in the brighter light from the window. Ryu walks in short five and six-step bursts across my floor but he doesn't do much more than that. It's wooden so he sometimes slides a little. Does anyone think he could be seeing the lines and thinking he's going to fall or something and that's why he doesn't go further at a stretch?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »

I've not seen Belle do it (yet) but my Ugobe Pleos sometimes look at the lines between the tiles in my kitchen, I think if they are perpendicular to the lines it can set off the edge detect sensor.  Sometimes they back away, sometimes it almost looks like they check it out and test it with their feet!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 04:26:05 PM »

Talon - as far as I can tell that is just the normal walking pattern of the pleo rb.  Both my rb's do the same thing.  Norbit only tends to take 4 steps before stopping to look around and then 4 more steps.  Kermy takes 6 then stops to look around and then another 6 steps.  It is one area in the rb that I feel Innvo needs to work on as it does give a very disjointed walk.  It takes away some of the life like ness. :(  Before I got Gumble my Ugobe I guess this didn't really bother me too much as I didn't know any different but now I have Gumble I have seen that it is possible for a pleo to just walk and look around at the same time without needing to stop every few steps to check their surroundings.  Gumble will walk forever without stopping if there are no obstacles in his way.  He never walks into things or falls of the table (not that I have him on the table much) so I don't really know why they decided to change the walking pattern when they made the improved model. 
I keep hoping that one day my little rb's will just take off like Gumble and not need to stop between steps to see what is around but so far there has been no change in the behavior and I have seen rb's into Adult hood and they all walk the same no mater what stage they are in.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »

I agree Kat - my favourite thing about Pleos is that they will roam all over the room, the RB 'stop and start' is irritating and pointless.  I guess when they brought out the RB I was hoping they would have added to what was already there, but they seem to have lost so many of the behaviours that made Pleo exciting in the first place it sometimes seems more of a step back than a step forward?  :-X

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 04:15:17 AM »

Shhh, don't tell anyone but getting Gumble really felt like getting a new improved model of Pleo rather than an older version.  I didn't know what I was missing until I got him.  But now that I know he has become my favorite. :) 
But don't tell my other pleos or they will be jealous.
I really do think they left out all the best bits when they made the new model.  Such a shame.  If I buy another pleo it will most likely be another older model one and not another rb. %)
I also feel that with the learning stone tricks it can be a bit long winded trying to get your pleo to perform.  You have to get their attention, call their name, wait for them to respond, wait for them to listen, give the command and hope that they haven't gotten distracted by now and decided they don't want to cooperate anymore and if your lucky they will perform.
I think they need to take out the call the name step for most of the tricks.  Just leave that in for the come here one maybe?  It all just takes too long and seems to me to be too much hit and miss.  More often than not a miss for me so I tend to give up and just let the little guys run around doing what they want to do.   We are all happier that way.   :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 04:25:42 AM »

I completely agree, Kat.  And anyway, most of the time if I try to hold the side sensors on Belle's face to get her attention she gets grumpy and shouts at me.  It took me three weeks to get her to perform the bow stone trick after teaching it to her - I only stuck with it because the process was so similar to teaching Aibos that I had faith that it had worked when I taught her.  It actually took the coffee bean leaf to get her in a good enough mood - heck there's really only room for one prima donna in this house.  The Ugobe boys are still pottering around happily, but as she's scared of the dark in most of my rooms most of the time, she's just getting left out - too darned temperamental!  :(

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »

Here's hoping they release a firmware update sometime soon to rectify some of these issues.  There is just so much potential here it is a shame to no be able to utilize it. 
My guys are happy enough just wandering around.  Kermy's mood swings are a little disturbing at times though. :)
Good old Gumble he keeps me sane just by being so darn cute all of the time.  And so happy. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 04:47:25 AM »

Absolutely - here's hoping.  Thinking about it, I like a lot of what they're put into the RB (save the dark issue, which I'm trying to get sorted out), it really is more that I miss most of what they took out in the process.  :-\

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »

lol I see. And I really, really don't like the mood swings of the Pleo Reborn. It should just stay happy.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »

Yes I agree.  There are some really lovely things about the rb's but there was so much wonderful stuff in the earlier models that they seem to have left by the wayside. Without having owned both you just don't know what your missing out on. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal