Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Care and restoration of Pleo skins  (Read 51688 times)

PinkPleo

• Following the footsteps
  • us
Re: Care and restoration of Pleo skins
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »

You think putting CRC on top would remove the stickiness left by Gibbs? I actually only did one coat on my RB and it still made her sticky… just baffled that no one has really mentioned it before.

WD40 was another thing mentioned in this forum as “do not use”  :dino-chase:

Thanks

pnhicks

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2021, 02:32:19 AM »

Hi PinkPleo

Firstly, maybe this definition is in order:

Essential Meaning of forum
1: a meeting at which a subject can be discussed

2: a place or opportunity for discussing a subject

The idea that ideas expressed or discussed on this forum are the "gold standard", law or gospel is incorrect and strikes me as almost unpleasant.

Members are relating their experiences and or opinions on the topic.  Other members are encouraged to share their experiences and opinions with respect and courtesy toward each other and the forum.

As you have correctly pointed out, a member did state that Gibbs remained sticky over a week on their RB. 

That just goes to show that all experiences are not identical.  I have never used or recommended Gibbs, I simply have never had access to the product or felt the need to use it.

Taoworm32, a member of the forum (quite opinionated and I would say determinate on his point of view, having left the forum at one point for feeling that his point of view was not give sufficient weight) has been the driving force behind the crusade to make Gibbs the "official" skin protector.

Personally I think quite a few members started reading Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for various products on the market and became "experts" in hydrocarbon chemistry.

I too am a highly opinionated person, but I hope that I preference (or reference) all my "advice" within the framework of "I am NOT an expert" , "this is my experience" and "your milage my vary!. ;)

I actually recommenced WD-40 to REMOVE the Gibbs stickyness and "suggested" you try the CRC product to see if the tactile sensation was more to your taste! ;)

Cheers!

Peter
former USAF aircraft mechanic
NOT a chemical engineer

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2021, 12:54:35 PM »

I know I am one of those who has used Gibbs, and I've never had an issue of stickiness, but I have never used multiple coats.  More accurately, it has always been more than 1 year between applications.  So I'm sure the previous coat had long since soaked in or evaporated to the point that it is no longer there.  I would also say my problem was always had to wait a few days after applying before really handling the pleo because to me, it had more of a greasy feel that took time to soak in/evaporate so that the skin felt dry (and it did feel softer from the application).  This may be the stickiness you are referring to.  If it is, just give it some time.  A more liberal application or multiple coats may require a longer time to be absorbed or evaporate.  But as pnhicks has said, I'm not a chemist or expert, this is just my experience and opinion.

Many years ago, I don't remember if it was Ugobe or Innvo Labs (thinking it was Ugobe), had recommended one of the furniture polish products.  Most owners rejected this immediately as all it did was put a waxy layer on the pleo's skin.

The biggest problem is we haven't had any empirical testing or enough people staying active on the forum long enough to really know what long term effects anything has on the skin. 

And even if we had a chemical engineer who was well versed on this type of thing, Innvo Labs has never been willing to tell us the composition of the skin anyway.  All we know is it's supposedly a rubber, latex compound that the products designed for latex masks and models don't work well with it and products designed for rubber have problems as well.  Most products are "recommended" as an attempt to help the material from drying out and rejuvenate it so that it remains flexible.  Petroleum products are known to degrade both rubber and latex.  WD-40 was discouraged because someone had looked at the data sheets and one or more of the solvents was known to degrade or break down rubber and latex.  WD-40 claims to not hurt rubber, but it doesn't say that about latex.  The Gibbs web site claims "Gibbs Brand will not harm rubber and will even preserve it and make it more supple."  But again it doesn't mention latex.  CRC is more of a silicone lubricant.  Silicone has always been the recommendation for lubricating rubber as it does not degrade it.  But there'also no mention of silicone having any softening or restoring properties.  This is all based on "internet research" I've done over the years, so who knows how accurate it is.

orchidsurfer

• Hatchling
  • us
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2022, 11:44:10 PM »

Thank you so much Taoworm23!  This is sooo informative and I'm learning a lot here.  I noticed you mentioned that the ingredient that is of interest here to plasticize is the paraffin oil. Do you think plain paraffin oil would work like the ones they use for medical use for physical therapy in humans? 

I'm just thinking it would be less toxic since I worry about the heptane in Gibbs since it's neurotoxic.  Your thoughts?

Thanks again.

Ok I have some facts about pleos skin...please make note of it.

Pleos skin was made by GLS using the Dynaflex™ Thermoplastic Elastomer brand process contains a block structure of Styrene-Ethylene/Butylene-Styrene (SEBS).

A company named APEX worked with UGOBE Inc and JETTA on the paint project for the PLEO dinosaur skin which is made of elastomeric paint.

Gibbs contains no silicones ( Teflons or otherwise)
The three main components in Gibbs are:
iso-propanol (an alcohol)
heptane (a hydrocarbon solvent)
petroleum distillates (CAS no.64742-54-7, which is a paraffin) a heavy solvent refined paraffinic (read waxy oil).

(The abnormally highly refined paraffin oil in Gibbs is used as the extender oil to replace the plasticizing oil in Pleos skin)
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal