in- Bob the Pleo Forums Blog

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Waffle Day, March 25th

xx Waffle Day, March 25th
March 24, 2014, 02:48:58 PM by Sally
March 25th is Waffle Day, or Våffeldagen to our Swedish pleos.  And contrary to what Bob claims, waffles ARE NOT simply breakfast pizzas.

It is claimed by those who write dictionaries that the word "Waffle" is directly derived from the Dutch wafel, which itself derives from the Middle Dutch wafele or the French walfre; both are considered to share the same Frankish etymological root wafla meaning either honeycomb or cake.  And that it is a common leavened batter cooked between two plates to give it a characteristic shape and patterned surface impression.

The sad truth is, this breakfast choice is a direct result of Bob's poor cooking habits.  Because as we all know, the word "waffle" simply means to be indecisive and go back and forth on a decision.  One morning, when Bob had woken up in a particularly ambitions mood, he decided to make pancakes for breakfast.  And as you might expect, when the first one was ready to flip over, Bob discovered his spatula was dirty, so he tried to flip it using just the skillet.  As a result the pancake ended up on the floor . . . where Bob accidentally stepped on it.  As it turned out, the pancake stuck to the bottom of his foot, so he had to grab the butter knife to scrap it off onto a plate.  The pad of his foot left a unique indentation pattern in the round cake, and as the butter from the knife started to melt into those indentations, Bob began to "waffle" over the question of whether or not to go ahead and eat this odd looking pancake.

We all know how that question was decided.  And ever since Fred figured out a way to cook pancakes with a patterned texture without Bob having to step on them, we could all enjoy this new tasty treat.

Write a Comment:

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment!

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Comments:

[1]
xx Re: Waffle Day, March 25th (Reply 1)
March 25, 2014, 08:52:34 AM by RedwoodsMama
 Thank You Sally for telling such a delightful and "tasty" tale of where the humble but delicious waffle came from,  8)I always thought it was just out of a box of Aunt Jemimah that my dad had mixed up for those Sunday breakfasts as a kid. Nothing was better then watching the batter sizzle as it stuck to all those grooves and tiny squares in the old waffle iron.  :) But now thanks to you, my memories will never be the same.....

To think of Bob actually stepping on the "Pancake" and then using a buttered knife to ease it off his little feet, kind of puts a picture in my head I am not sure that I can easily let go of.. Pleo have cute feet, now don't get me wrong. but I know the kind of things that can "live" and stick to somone's feet. There are the usual pieces of grass or fern, the seeds dropped from a overhead raven or yellow belllied sapsucker flying over a cow field and momentarily distracted by thoughts of ???(whatever it is birds think of when flying over a cow field... :D)then diving down to retrieve the seed now it has been trodden on by a few "bossies" wtih their dainty hooves over fields of "mud pies" still steaming in the morning dew.,  :o then there are the nemodes who crawl in that fresh upturned soil, and then after Bob has gone into the garden for his morning ferns and leaves, he has walked over that one seed dropped by that lazy bird, that had fallen in the cow pasture, where Bossy with her dainty hooves, christened the seed with her morning mud pie, and the soil was upturned by many nemodes who in turn crawled with their unique body odor and skin over that same seed, untill the seed became trapped in one of those grooves in the bottom of Bob's left hind foot, and then with Bob's usual creative thought patterns, he  not only stepped on the Pancake he flipped in the air and of course dropped, he decided to grab the closest utensil (which just happened to be buttered, )and pry that delicate cake off his left hind foot, and thus the "waffle" as we know it was born.  :o

Now my only question is, after deciding to eat this "waffle" that Bob pried off his foot, with the special flavoring contributed by the bird, the cow and the worm, did Bob add Maple syrup, or did he add Tomato sauce like he puts on his pizza?  ;)

RWM  :cat-hug: and the Pleo  Township of the Redwoods
xx Re: Waffle Day, March 25th (Reply 2)
March 25, 2014, 09:30:15 AM by Talon
Oookay! I've never heard that version of the story before. It seems the humble waffle has had quite a history. Nice story!
Talon
[1]