Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any news or word about life OS 1.2?  (Read 5179 times)

borgqueenx

• Head of the herd
  • Male
Any news or word about life OS 1.2?
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »

Anyone knows whats going to be new in life OS 1.2? and are they busy with creating a update? or do they leave the pleo the way it is?

I would like voice control:) like "SIT!" :)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: Any news or word about life OS 1.2?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »

I would love to install that into my poodles. That and come! ;D

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »

According to Derek, "Not this year" but we should look for "something" in 2010.

Echo

• Pleo explorer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »

I would like my Pleo to be able to fetch a ball, bone, or something and bring it to me.   Any chance of that?  Are there any robotic pets that can do that?

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »

Pleo will never be able to do that (I know never is a strong word, but based on current or near hardware for the price, pleo would not be able to do that).

The only e-pet on the market that I know would be able to do that is AIBO.

Echo

• Pleo explorer
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »

Is being able to fetch more a matter of software or hardware?    Isn't it true that Aibo can't open it's mouth? So how could it fetch?

How difficult would it be to add the level of voice commands in an Aibo or even a i cybie to Pleo?  (I mean the voice commands that are compatible with Pleo's current physical structure like come, sit, dance,  push a ball around with it's nose)

What are the chances of Pleo being able to recognize it's owner either visually or by voice?

What would you like to see Pleo be able to do in the future?

What would be the most fun interactive upgrade Pleo could get?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:13:57 PM by Echo »

borgqueenx

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »

who is Derek? some boss of the company behind pleo?

and 2010 seems far away, even futher away because they could release it in december 2010.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »

Derek Dotson is the main guy at Innvo Labs, the company responsible for pleo.

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »

> Isn't it true that Aibo can't open it's mouth? So how could it fetch?
Most of the (popular) models of AIBOs have mouths that move (ERS-11x, ERS-210, ERS-7). Some don't (ERS-31x, ERS-220).
The moving mouth is mostly for the personality (having AIBO move mouth when talking)

The only one with intelligent software is the ERS-7. It will fetch/pickup its bone, and even do tricks with it. The bone is specially made and color coded.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ers-7+bone

Not possible with Pleo for a number of reasons.
-----
> How difficult would it be to add the level of voice commands in an Aibo or even a i cybie to Pleo?
Not the level of AIBO (which has a full blown voice recognizer built in software) or i-Cybie (which has a special chip just for voice recognition)
Something very simple could be added, but the CPU in the Pleo's head is underpowered and currently overworked.
(BUT if they open sourced the firmware, I suspect some people would try it)

Maybe something as simple as distinguishing a set of very distinct voice commands (like "GOOOD" and "NO" and "STAY THERE")
----

> What would you like to see Pleo be able to do in the future?
> What would be the most fun interactive upgrade Pleo could get?

IMHO: I'd like to see Pleo do what it was originally promised to do (by UGOBE) before the original launch. Things like a smart personality that learns and explores its environment. This was never completed (search the web, there might be an old copy of their press release out there, circa Xmas 2007).

Features like true voice recognition or face recognition or picking up bones are not possible/practical with the current hardware, but smarter software is very possible, if someone would take the time to write it.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »

pleopet, i love your responses. Thumbs up, good answers.

> What would you like to see Pleo be able to do in the future?
> What would be the most fun interactive upgrade Pleo could get?

IMHO: I'd like to see Pleo do what it was originally promised to do (by UGOBE) before the original launch. Things like a smart personality that learns and explores its environment. This was never completed (search the web, there might be an old copy of their press release out there, circa Xmas 2007).

^------------That would've been nice...
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Echo

• Pleo explorer
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »

Awesome insights Pleopet.

Do pleos really react differently to various environment now or is that just something for the future?  If I left my Pleo for 10 min in a room with all sort of interesting things to explore would it be any happier than if I left it for the same amount of time in an empty room?    What kind of things did Ugobe want Pleo to be able to learn?  Can you give examples?

I have heard the Innvo Labs intent  is for Pleo to be more interactive. Does this mean they are not working on the smart personality?

Echo

• Pleo explorer
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »

Considering what others have said, I think my hope for future Pleo OS is that it will allow Pleo to evolve to be as life like as possible. I personally love the way puppies show excitement and apprehension when exploring a new environment, the way they learn, the way they love to interact with their owners, they way they can be silly, they way the express emotions, they way they react differently to various people and places, and their self awareness.  I would like future installments of pleo OS to evolve in this puppy direction, but not be limited by coping any specific animal.  What do you all think?

borgqueenx

• Head of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »

i just hope for more functionality, i think pleo is quite realistic as it is now.
Functions like learning pleo voice commanders, and give pleo a treat if he obeys well. And pleo will listen more and more to your commands to more you give him voice commands, and treats(like a leaf). and calling pleo to walk to your direction.

And more realistic eating. I like it when he chews and opens his mouth and closes it the whole time, that you see the leave kinda being ate. Sometimes you hear pleo chew but the leaf doesnt move a bit. I would like to see that fixed.

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »

I'm not sure how limited his hardware is to future updates, but being able to react to noise would be the first thing on my want list for an OS update. Perhaps the ability to respond to simple words like "come", "sit" and "speak" would make him the little bit more realistic. I'm not that into enhancing features that would make him seem robotic.

ThomasDWell

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 03:45:22 PM »

So how limited is Pleo's hearing right now with OS 1.1? I've been trying some names out seeing if any get a positive response, Nova is the closets but I was singing along with Neil deGrasse Tyson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6bCdZmSE7M) and Pleo merely panted in my direction. So finding a name still goes on, but on topic I'd like to see Pleo get up from sitting or climb over small objects .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:07:41 PM by ThomasDWell »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal