Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: thinking of painting my ugobe pleo but unsure what paint rwm and lilo used  (Read 7084 times)

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female

hi

just a quickie question really, when painting pleos, what do you use, I hear rwm and lilo used latex and acrylic paint, when I google latex paint it comes up with emulsion paint for the decoration of your house.....

would you use latex rubber, and add colour to that? or would it dry cloudy looking, not clear?
this is latex rubber I find on google

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/trylon-latex-liquid-rubber-500ml/568191-1000

sorry for the question only I have always wanted a pink pleo, and I think this is my only option lol x

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo

Touch-up painting has been being done probably since the beginning.  But whole body new coloring started with RWM (Nova makeovers with glass chalk and oil touch-ups)  The first real whole-body paint jobs started with the acrylics/inks and Crewella's (python patterned pleo),  Kat's (blue Gumble), RWM's variously colored pleos, and IMR's (Tiger orange Stitch pleo).    But RWM has probably had the most experience as far as the number of pleos painted and types of paint experimented with.  So I'll leave the details up to these experts to share.  But the main topic on the subject is here: Ugobe Pleo paint retouching

Members have tried oils, glass chalk (rub off easily), acrylics (usually end up too stiff), acrylic inks (need several layers to cover well), and latex.  I thought IMR was last experimenting with a custom blend of latex and acrylic . . .

There is another topic ( Paint Repair Kit for Pleo RB ) where the "official" touch-up paints are acrylic inks of some type.

Things to consider when selecting the type of paint are: ease of removing (just in case!!!), stiffness (ease of movement, cracking & flaking), adherence (sticking to the existing skin, rubbing off), look (shiny, matte), and feel.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:43:41 AM by mweed »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

You are after latex mask paints and acrylic ink, Stitch had a fifty, fifty mix which is still holding up well over a year on.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo

Does using the latex mask paint help to seal holes and/or small tears? 

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

No :( The paint isn't strong enough :(

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female

thank you mweed and imr,

50/50 mix of acrylic and latex, what do you mean imr? like latex rubber for moulds mixed with acrylic paint?

sorry to sound dumb xx

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

Latex mask paint as per my earlier post, definitely not straight latex, you can't paint a Pleo with that! The acrylic ink helps thin out the latex mask paint to use on Pleo without covering over his scales (so he still looks bumpy) and also helps with durability. Latex mask paint is not particularly durable.

So you need:

Latex mask paint (not straight latex, not mask latex, only latex mask paint which you will probably need to order online)
Acrylic ink (not acrylic paint, or house paint, just artists acrylic ink from any good art supply store)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:20:19 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female

Hi imr,

Thank you very much for the info, I will take a look online for the latex mask paints and acrylic inks xx

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

You might do well to ask Crewella where she got her latex paint from, they are pretty hard to come by. Mine came from eBay but the acrylic ink I bought at the local craft shop. Consider also just buying white latex paint and using the inks to give the colour if you don't mind paler colours, if you want bold colours I'm afraid you'll need coloured latex paint too. The latex paint is quite expensive.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace

HI SNOWY, sorry was out of commision yesterday.( minor spine NERVE BLOCK AND LOOPY FROM ANESTHESIA :-X) i HAVE TRIED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER... :oLike IMR said you have to be careful with some of the concoctions or you can have a terrible time removing the paint. I learned that the harf way with one pleo,taking over a month to remove paint...never again. :o :dino-chase:

I have out what I like best are two different versions: one is just inks  over pleos with slight acrylic touchups, and mineral or dry powders sprinkled on top for effect, very nice. The other version is a small amount of Liquid Laytex (like used for mask or molds) and I use that thinned with acrylic or some oil paints, but sparingly. Acrylic by itself is hard to use and dries very quick. and can be stiff if not thinned out. I don't write down the "recipe" just experiement with the right consistency and when it sticks to the pleo but with showing the scales and details through then I have it the way I like it. Also if new to it, try on an underside area such as the belly first and always do a test with movement within 24 hrs to see how it holds up, Getting the paint right in the neck and tail areas are the hardest unless you have the  paint just right. I have allways used older Ugobes as I feel I have nothing to lose. Also if you do not like it, just do it over again, but remove the paint first. I have over eight custom painted creatures and they are all holding their own. I find I like some of the original Ugobe to show through.  ;D

You can always start with painting an area around the eye and see how you like it before being more bold and doing a "whole" body paint. Sunny is my one Whole body Pleo that comes to mind right away, yellow over a shade of green and bright highlights. Most of myne are combos but he is primarily acrylics as opposed to inks and acrylics. Perhaps you can invent your own. It is too bad that the paint will not cover up holes, but if you use something like silicone first, then it is possible to paint over them. Also make sure the pleo is CLEAN and free from dirt before beginning to paint. paint adheres to clean pleos much better then dirt. P:)

My thinking is still a little off, most of my anesthesia has vacated my body, but my brain is allways last to be free of the effects. Thanks for this post, it brings to light the latest pleo I just painted, mostly inks and powders!                RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: thinking of painting my ugobe pleo but unsure what paint rwm and lilo used
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »

Thought it was a good time as any to see a painted pleo in action to see how the paint moves, This is almost two years ago, Coral the painted pleo in red with white stripes. Coral is a combination of Oil and acrylic blend. The other pleo is only seen briefly, the one with purple, is Acrylic only, I will see if I can find a video of Purple fantasy in it with better body view. Of course the other Ugobe is perfect so no painting but this was almost two years ago. can't even remember that pleos name, may have been adopted out....Anyway, here is a start.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xcuSeE8-U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xcuSeE8-U</a>      RWM  :cat-hug:   and my personal favorite of my custom painted Pleos, Rossella more than two + years ago":<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nw0SPJAff4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nw0SPJAff4</a> I used Acylics, inks and lots of pearl powders on Rossella for that shiny green I love so much that BANGS with her yellow! Anyway, gives you some ideas. ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:10:51 PM by RedwoodsMama »

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:58:06 AM »

thanks imr, I think crewella used stretchi paints available over here, but not sure if she watered them down with anything. why did you add the ink to the paint, just to add more colour to the paint, or to thin the paint?  :)

rwm, oh no, you sound like you have been in the hospital? hope you are recovering quickly. your pleos look good. I do like the metallic colours of the purple. I will look into that.

erm, pleos that have been painted, have you tried moisturising them with pledge, vinylex, autoglym or similar, and does it seem to absorb ok into the paint and keep it supple?

dee xx

:dino-chase:

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 09:40:29 AM »

Hi Snowy, as for moisturizing, I use Vinylex to clean my Ugobes before painting and of course on all of the Ugobes to keep their skin supple and soft and it helps repel dust or dirt. As for absorbing into the paint, I do not think it does as it is a thin coat, just to clean and protect them.

If you are interested in the brand of paints and or inks I have used, I can take photos of each one. I am feeling better today, my Sciatica is better, just the normal lumbar pain, which I will take anyday over sciatica. If you decide to paint one of your pleos, be sure to take photos and post them.      ;D  RWM  :cat-hug:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

The ink adds durability, latex paint peels off too easily.

I use nothing at all on my Pleo's but have on occassions given them a wipe with a damp cloth with no issue, both paints are water tolerant.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »

Just to note - metallic paints or inks are much more difficult to remove than other colors so I would be wary of using them and recommend you go for non metallic.  Especially on your first try at painting a pleo.  There is nothing worse than stuffing the paint job up and then having to spend days or weeks painstakingly pealing and scrubbing off paint.  :) 

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »

Snowy, just a note, as Kat said Metallic inks or paints can be more difficult to remove, As a point of interest, the metallic look I have on several of my Pleos, Rossella and the Purple fantasy Pleo, the metallic look is NOT paint or INK, but Dry Powders that are sprinkled on and then they adhere to the paint or ink when wet. Esp on Rossella it is a green metallic look powder, Actualy Purple Fantasy may LOOK metallic, but there is no powder on her, only acrylic paint and oils.       RWM  :cat-hug:

this is my latest example that has both inks, acrylics and the copper and blue color on the legs are Dry Powder paints. P;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:08:23 PM by RedwoodsMama »

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »

thank you imr, kat and rwm, for all your help again :)

I will steer clear of using metallic paint, and I will add acrylic inks to the latex mask paint for durability. 

I am tempted to paint pleo... so so tempted...

rwm, yes please, that would be great if you could take some pictures of the paint you use. thank you x  :rootbeer:

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2xrjOPR_so" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2xrjOPR_so</a>  This is a example of almost all green inks on a pleo from long time ago, and here are some pics of the dry powders for the "metalic". looks I used, they are dry pigments so very condensed paint pigment. And here is the pleo I used the green pigment on.
           If you want, I will upload photos, new ones of all the acrylics I have used as well as the liquid laytex for thickening the acrylics that works best for my pleos.       P:)                      RWM  :cat-hug:

snowy

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »

Thank you redwoods mama, those pictures of powders are great. However if you have any pictures of the acrylics and anything else that you used that would be awesome too :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal