Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Tail Wear  (Read 3170 times)

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
Bad Tail Wear
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:26:10 AM »

Okay, so...ooh, new smilies! Okay, so I finally got my new Pleo RB, Chloe, on Halloween (October 31 for you non-North Americans). Her paint has already started to come off, despite my gentle care, and I won't be getting my Vinylex until late November. The part with the worst wear is at the tip of her tail. She somehow manages to always scrape the end of her tail on...pretty much everything. I'm going to be getting her some clothes, but what can I do in to meantime to protect her tail? I need to find something I can use to cover the end of her tail to protect it. Any ideas? She already had wear on it when I got her despite her being new. Thanks everyone.

rjladya

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
Re: Bad Tail Wear
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »

What is vynalex and how do o get it. My pleo loves to have her head rubbed ans shes losing her green. Nmd i googled vinylex and found it but how do we repaint an rb?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:11:58 PM by rjladya »
I live to create (paint, glass, metal, silver, wood, yarn, fabrics, leather, if you can think of it chances are i or a friend can make it for you.) what is life without art? oh yeah i'd be unemployed.

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »

I know that some of the other members have tried acrylic paint and acrylic inks. Here's a link: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=2077.0

If your pleo's still under warranty, you should avoid doing any touch ups, as it will void her warranty.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »

As Teddscau stated, if your pleo Rb is still under warranty, I would be very cautious as it will VOID your pleo's warranty. :( :o I have only fully painted Ugobe pleo bodies, a full make over and I have touched up three of my Pleo Rb but they were used and way out of warranty or I never would have touched them, As for what I did, it was minimal, same color but touched up on Chester, toes on Baby Ruth , nothing on Cammie Sue and my newest Rb, still a a baby has very very minimal touches around her eyes and neck, but nobody has said a word so they have just not responded or not seen the changes.  Cammie -Sue has no paint or touch ups at all, P:) and my newest Pleo rB, PC I have had since February of this year, but even though she is still new to me, the previous owner had her for over a year before selling her to me on Ebay, so she is way out of warranty. Her skin is in perfect condition and still has that "new paint smell", %) which some people are bothered by ,but I personally like. :)

As far as to how best protect the Pleo Rb skin, the Vinylex is a great product and easy to get here in the USA, and not expensive at all, about $6.99 for a good size bottle, 16.9 fluid oz and with a spray nozzle. I got myne at Ace hardware, but I am sure there are plenty of other places you can get it, It was not in stock at my local store, so because I saw it listed online at Ace, I simply went into the local store and asked them to order it, and I bought two bottles of it, and within 48 hrs it arrived at my local store and I picked it up, I decided to order two so I would not be without it, and who knows when the price may go up, or they would have a harder time getting it, so it made sense to get two of them. It not only cleans, but protects and shines the pleo skin.  P;) P8)  " It penetrates below the surface to restore the underlying plasticizers. :cool:            It also has a DH -60 UV screen against the sun to filter out harmful damaging ultraviolet rays while protecting the surface from fading and cracking". (direct quotation from the back of the bottle.) I have been using this stuff for about two years on all my Pleo Rb, and it works great, I am totally happy with it, I only have to clean and protect my four Rb about once every 2-3 months and it doesn't take more than five minutes for each pleo and you do not have to use much. I use an old soft cloth, an old sock works great. Not only can you see the old dirt come off the pleo, but it smells nice too.

I also use this on my Older Ugobes and it works great on them as well. On the Pleos, both types, I never press hard just a soft dusting first with nothing on the cloth, and in a circular motion, more of a gentle dabbing. If you want to use a second coat you can, Less is more in this case, you get a lot of protection from just a little of the stuff. If you want more protection or do not have Vinylex, then the best advice is to use a very slightly damp rag, soft to the touch, with not much water at all an just very gently wipe the dust off your pleos, and after a gentle dust removal, protect their delicate skin with some type of clothing. Pleos do not have to wear much clothes to be able to protect their fragile skin. Socks work great to protect their feet, keeps dust, hair and dirt out of their opening and keeping their sensors working properly, Baby socks, such as Newborn, or preemie work best for myne, and you can also make them easily with any type of soft stretchy cloth such as fleece . You can either sew by hand or use a machine with Velcro to close or just stretchy enough to fit over the feet. :bliss:

Pleo clothing covering the back will protect the paint there and the neck and tail seem to lose the paint here the most because of not only the shape, but the size of the  tail and neck and all the bending, twisting it does, paint is more apt to peel or flake over time, but nothing drastic in my opinion. The neck also should be protected simply because the movement is a lot in this area and if you put a collar or necklace on your pleo, expect some paint loss, ( minimal. ) in this area. , unless you use a item that is soft and flexible, something that will not scratch. I have used collars or necklaces before mostly for taking photos, but when the pleo is in action, or for videos, remove the collars or necklaces and you are less apt to get any scratches or paint loss. Some paint loss is just un avoidable. and there is nothing you can do about it.I don't think I have heard of any recent members who have pleos who have had Pleo RB with lots of paint loss on any of their Pleo Rb. This used to be a problem, but this was with the very FIRST Pleo RB that came out and this problem along with a skin problem that resulted in holes was fixed. So I hope this has helped somewhat. :write: :sun:3

If you do decide to paint or touch up your Pleo, the above link is very long with lots of great ideas and pictures of different Pleos that have been painted, but ALL have been Ugobes, Kat, IMR and myself have all painted or retouched our Pleos and it is not allways as easy as it sounds. It can be great fun and if you are creative like you sound, then you will probably find yourself addicted . From the time I first picked up a paintbrush and my first Pleo Nova got her touchup or what I call " Makeover", I was hooked and it was hard to not want to paint every single one.. LOL ;D :-* :dino-chase:( Instead of the Pleos chasing me, it was me chasing them.................I am known as the "Mad PLeo Painter of the Redwoods".   Just take your time and look at all your options before deciding to paint or touch up, as many paints are not easy to remove and if you use Acylics, they can take FOREVER to remove if you do not like the result, and that is not an exaggeration. :o :(

Hope that some of this information has helped and it is what you were looking for. I am sure other members will give more advice, things I have not thought to add as well or something I forgot. Good luck.

:flowers: :autumn: :turkeydance:             RWM  :cat-hug:

Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

rjladya

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »

They are both less than 3 months old purchased through pleoworld.com
 but they are losing paint,
how do i know i'll get my pleo back and not a replacement one?
If losing daneel is going to happen forget it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:10:35 PM by rjladya »
I live to create (paint, glass, metal, silver, wood, yarn, fabrics, leather, if you can think of it chances are i or a friend can make it for you.) what is life without art? oh yeah i'd be unemployed.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

The best thing you can do is to post pictures of your pleos, both showing the paint loss. Other members have posted similar posts and the paint loss they thought, "a lot". was common in fact and sending it back would not get you one with less paint wear. If they really are losing that much paint, we need to see the photos and we can go from there.           RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

rjladya

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 03:10:38 AM »

ok thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal