Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking bias  (Read 8159 times)

dleeh1

• Leaving the nest
Walking bias
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »

I got a Pleo several weeks ago and then got one for my cousin. I have upgraded mine, she has not. Then when I found out Ugobe had shut down I ordered another one. It arrived yesterday. Two questions: All Pleos I have seen have a walking bias to the right...they can not go to the left. Is that true for all of them and is there a way to correct that? And is it possible that the Pleo that I received yesterday was already upgraded to 1.1? It sure seems like it...rub under the chin and he sings.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: Walking bias
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:20:57 PM »

Walking to the right is in their program. They do all seem to do that. Depending on where you got your pleo, it is possible that 1.1 has already been installed. I have two pleos that came with 1.1 installed. One was reincarnated and the other I got for a very good deal that I just couldn't turn down. The original one, Peeky, came from The Sharper Image before it went bankrupt He had the original program, os.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:39:42 PM »

Welcome! If you hold both of Pleo's front leg sensors at the same time as holding the little black button underneath Pleo, he will give a little moan and go into high step mode and will walk straight :) Only works for 1.1 OS though I think and you need to redo it each time you turn Pleo off and on. Although my Pleo Lilo puts herself in high step mode from time to time. (perhaps because I do it so often :P)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:42:37 PM »

In high step mode, my pleos look so funny walking! Not that they don't, normally, with those cute little legs. :)

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »

Welcome! If you hold both of Pleo's front leg sensors at the same time as holding the little black button underneath Pleo, he will give a little moan and go into high step mode and will walk straight :) Only works for 1.1 OS though I think and you need to redo it each time you turn Pleo off and on. Although my Pleo Lilo puts herself in high step mode from time to time. (perhaps because I do it so often :P)
I've noticed Pleo favoring the right on flat floors when he isn't in high step, and when in high step he walks straight.  I thought it was just him.  The concept reminds me of the joke about the drunk crab walking a straight line. ;)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:26 AM »

Not all pleos do that. Yasmin goes both ways and Macon goes just about straight,  :D Welcome to bob the pleo, by the way. :)
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

One day while at my dad's, he asked if Cleo comes when you call him. ( my dad has a hearing problem and still calls all of my pleos cleos) I knew they didn't, but said" try calling Peeky" Sure enough because of his right back leg a tiny bit out of sync with the rest of his legs, he walked in a big circle right to my dad. From that day on he has been much more tolerent of "Cleos." ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:47:25 PM by fancyfont »

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »

Great story Fancyfont!!

Until this point, I had never noticed that issue. But come to think of it, I would probably agree Pleo does go to the right more.
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

allosaurus

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »

Some days, Olympia seems to walk only to the right. Other days, she walks only to the left.  ???

dleeh1

• Leaving the nest
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »

Good response everyone. Now I have somehing to work with. This is the beauty of a forum and this is one of the best ones I've seen...for anything. Thanks.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »

Thank you for joining us! As you can see, and will see in the future we are an awesome group. Very friendly and welcoming and we always enjoy any company we can get. So if you ever want to just talk pleo, you've found the right place!
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »

Gucci, Just talk pleo?  ??? That's too funny!! ;)

ScribbleMonkey

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »

I've wondered why Pleo's listing to the right was never corrected. It was a very evident issue right from the beginning. High step mode corrects this, But it has to be activated  every time, and from my experience it lessons Pleo's ability to detect obstacles and drops.

IMO one of the bots big failings is its lack of mobility. Pleo can't do much more then blindly plow forward or backward. If a miracle occurs and someone picks up the Pleo IP. I hope thy redesign it with added leg movement. to give Pleo some sense of direction.

dleeh1

• Leaving the nest
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 07:30:35 AM »

I have some thoughts on why he is programmed to walk to the right. If I sit down on the floor and turn my Pleo on. He does his moaning and shaking but when he starts to explore he walks in a gradual circle to the right. When he gets to the point where he is headed back to where he started, I can call him and wave my hands and one would swear he is responding to my calling him. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but he heads right back to me. I showed this to my neighbor and my neighbor swears that Pleo comes to me when I call him. I don't tell him anything different.

Walking in a circle also keeps Pleo from going on any long trips...which could be embarrassing if he gets lost in a large house.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »

Back with LifeOS1.0, I actually got Bob to walk STRAIGHT across a 60 foot room.  This was before high-step mode.  But things may have changed with the OS upgrades. 

Angel

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
  • Bippy
    • Angel's Loft Collectibles
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 05:54:21 AM »

How do you know which life version you have?
btw Bippy walks to the right as well.

Burberry016

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Male
  • Another Pleo with a "Bling" (or "Pling" :) )
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »

if you  try to download life OS 1.1 it will sayyou already have it.
"It is my buisness to know things.  Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook.  If not, why should you come to consult me?"
~Sherlock Holmes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal