Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe is dead  (Read 19467 times)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: Ugobe is dead
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2009, 09:32:02 AM »

A little fluff would be nice and cuddly ;)

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »

Hmmm . . .  anyone else notice in the Bio of John Sosoka from his farewell lecture ( http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=465.0 ) that he is working for a Vita Robotica, a "new" robotics company currently "operating in stealth mode"?   This makes for a great RUMOR to start . . .   John quit Ugobe to start a new company with the intent of buying the rights to pleo because he knew Ugobe was going under, and this was their way to keep it alive and get out from under the accumulated debt . . . .   or is this starting to sound liek a government conspiracy . . .  I wonder how I can tie this into the Illuminati and the assassination of JFK by the aliens from Roswell . . . .

I think you're onto something here, Mweed!! I betcha that IS what's going on! I so hope this isn't the end of things! They can't be!!
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

allosaurus

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2009, 05:34:07 AM »

The PleoWorld foru up, though, and they still say Pleo belongs to UGOBE. I sure hope so!  :'(

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »

PleoWorld.com is up, the plogs are up, the forums are still down, and Ugobe.com is still down.  My guess is that now that someone bought pleo, they paid the hosting ISP and got the site restored to what is was when Ugobe went bankrupt.   I imagine there will be changes soon.  ANd my understanding was that the former hosting company deleted the forums and all content before Ugobe got a chance to get a copy, so that it is lost forever.  They will have to recreate a new forum if the new owner so chooses.  Seems to me it would just be easier to change their link to point here. ;)

. . .  but, then again, I'm not sure we want 33,000 people here  :o  %)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 11:41:20 AM »

And why not ???

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »

We have about 330 people now.  33,000 would be 100 times more people, which means 100 times more posts, which means you'll be here all day just trying read the posts faster than they come in!! ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »

And poor Mweed would never get a break from his computer ;) You would have to hire employees :o (Can Bob read? :))
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »

IMR, of course Bob can read. I think Sally, Grumpy, Yogurt, 0000007(James) and all the other pleos in Weedovia would all pitch in! ;)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »

Hmmm . . .  but if I started charging people to join . . . ;)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »

Hmmm . . .  but if I started charging people to join . . . ;)
Get out that old piggy bank ;D

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2009, 02:17:57 AM »

ANd my understanding was that the former hosting company deleted the forums and all content before Ugobe got a chance to get a copy, so that it is lost forever.  They will have to recreate a new forum if the new owner so chooses.  Seems to me it would just be easier to change their link to point here. ;)
That is just horrible if that really is true.
All data lost?
What a stupid and silly hosting company.
Either Ugobe or the hosting companies must have backups, right?
Who would be responsible for making backups I wonder?
For instance, if their server would crash... then it's not the site owners fault and thus cannot be held responsible for having a backup, no?
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »

I said the very same thing!  That's insane not to have backups!  But you have to remember on behalf of the hosting company, they probably did make regular backups.  But most IT departments cycle through backups tapes on a pretty regular basis and re-record over them.  Daily backups usually only go back a couple of weeks.  I've seen major corporations that only had 7 sets of backups.  One for each day of the week.  And every Monday night they would erase last Monday's backup and write over it with this weeks backup.  After that, you fall back on disaster recovery copies that may be a month or more out-of-date, and stored off-site.  Remember, Ugobe wasn't paying their bills, so it was probably more the case of by the time Ugobe got caught up on their hosting bill, the site had been taken down for a while, and the old backups had already been written over by newer backups that didn't include Ugobe's site.  And the cost of retrieving the archived copies was probably more than Ugobe wanted (or could afford ) to pay.  And I doubt anyone at Ugobe made backup copies of their website.  That's why they hired a hosting company.  They didn't have the staff or time to worry about web site hosting.  They even outsourced the forum admins and PleoWorld hosts.  Yes, our beloved PleoWorld hosts like Cami were not Ugobe employees.

The same is pretty much true for these forums.  If the hard drive crashes, the hosting company have a nightly backup that could be restored an we could be back online in hours or the next day.  But if I need something restored from last month, I'm up a creek.  I could probably pay hundreds of dollars to have them pull old tapes and search for an old copy of my site, but it's not practical for anything short of a real emergency.  And I guarantee they have nothing from more than a month or two old.  So, if I fell 60 or 90 days behind on my payments, I'm sure they would shut my site down.  And if it took me another 30 or 60 days to pay up, I doubt if they would bother to keep backups for me either.   They would have gotten overwritten as part of the normal process of backing up their paying customers.

Now, I do occasionally make a backup of the database and copy it down to my local PC, but if I had to go set up on a new hosting company, I'm sure we would loose a month or more worth of posts, and I'm sure I would have to re-create a number of things.  Our hosting company has already moved this site from one machine to a newer one a couple of months ago, without us even noticing.  So, I'm sure they could restore us if need be  . . .  assuming I keep paying the bills.  ;)

But I know Ugobe had copies of their "site".  Because they handed out copies to their distributors.  And they were able to bring the main body of their site back up pretty complete and intact.  The static pages are easy to backup and save copies of.  And whoever designed their web site for them probably had copies laying around.  The forums and the plogs on the other hand, are stored separately in separate databases, and probably even on different physical machines.  The plogs appear to be part of the community pages on the main site, while the forums were a completely separate subdomain name.  So, it makes sense for that "part" to be lost, and the plogs saved.

But, then again, I was completely wrong on who bought the pleo IP . . .   so who knows. ;)

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »

I think the forum has a separate link (if was created with phpbb) and they have a redirect on their site. If it's really lost they've cancelled the forum completely  >:(

tkdgirl368

• Fossil hunter
  • Female
    • my plog
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »

Well, i guess it really will be a new start then. New company and new forums
Pleo Love 

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »

I think the forum has a separate link (if was created with phpbb) and they have a redirect on their site. If it's really lost they've cancelled the forum completely  >:(

Ugobe used vBulletin (rather than phpBB), but it was a separate link, which is why there was a separate login.  Ugobe did lose the database with all the posts, but the new owner may decide to start their own forums . . .   but you're always welcome here! ;D ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal