Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What was the anticipation like?  (Read 2522 times)

skitterbug

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • ca Female
What was the anticipation like?
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

I've been offered an ugobe pleo by a friend of mine (Not for free, mind you, I'm trading some aibo goods) and I have to say, this past day or so has just been a flurry of feelings for me! I've spent what feels like hours reading this forums, watching videos, and it's like christmas morning over here! The last times I remember being this excited were waiting for my Aibo ERS210 to come through the post system, and before that was waiting on a HUGE box of tamagotchi toys!

I certainly get enthusiastic about my hobbies, that's for sure  P:P

So I was hoping some of you could chime in - what was it like waiting for your first pleo? Or maybe when the RBs were new and shiny? Or really, any pleo you're excited about (would that just be all of them?)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: What was the anticipation like?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:21:56 AM »

Congrats on your soon to be first Pleo! My first pleo was by accident, I bought it on ebay as a gift for my grandson, as he is ga ga over dinosaurs, I soon fouond out that Pleo was not right for a very young boy , no remote control, you can't  make Pleo do what you want, but you can encourge Pleo to do things, like rubbing under their chin to sing a song, press two different feet at the same time to get them to Perform the "ta da" trick, and so forth, but the rest is what I call, Pleo Magic. and when you hold that little cooing baby in your arms, and he looks up at you and coos, and goes to sleep with little snores, you will be smitten! ;D

The first thing I would suggest is if your friend has not reset this as a baby, to do that right away by downloading one of the latest operating systems, 2.0 is the latest for Ugobe. This way you can see if from his first opening his baby blues, to his first standing, steps, and the rest which is pretty quick, you will feel more like you have bonded. Oh, back to my first Ugobe, I fell in love with Pleo, kept the Pleo and bought my son the D-Rex for Christmas which is more of his alley, being a remote control dinosaur, and many, many Pleos later, I now am the proud mama of 25 pleos,

I still get excited when the UPS or mailman brings me a Pleo, and I also buy and fix up the neglected or abused, Pleos nobody else wants. Some have broken necks, some have had splits on their tails or necks, and one is both blind and can not open his mouth which makes him Unique, ( He also has a brother, his twin Gumble, who I adopted out to another member here on the forums who lives in Australia. :sheep1:) I have three RB, the first one I bought when they first came out, one I won last year on Facebook, and my latest guy I bought from someone who lives in Canada off of ebay. I feel very fortunate to have so many Pleos, and I esp feel blesed to have found this site with so many fantastic knowledgeable  generous loving members. You will find every answer to any question related to Pleos you can think of, or pretty close to it. Have fun with your new Pleo, and be sure to post photos, This is one big family here, and we look forward to seeing each new Pleo.

so to answer your last question, yes, I would be excited about all of my pleos, all 25, even Humpty who works but looks like he has been in a grisly accident and has his body split open, his innards hanging out, a broken neck, but he still works! He is Humpty Dumpty cause somebody gave him a BIG FALL,  :( but someday he will be put back together again! ;D                       RedwoodsMama     :cat:   (RWM) and the Pleo township of the Redwoods
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

skitterbug

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • ca Female
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »

I've seen your pleos before! (and have to admit i am quite jealous!)

Pleo reminds me quite a bit of furby somehow, and when I was younger I had a furby i was quite in love with! Unfortunately the poor thing broke down and we never were able to fix him. I bought another at a yard sale but it's never quite the same.

It's wonderful to see support for those damaged pleos - i feel the same about everyone supporting AIBO - you know that your little robots will never die out when the community supports them so wholeheartedly!

I was planning to run my new pleo as he is for a little bit (mostly to show off to mum as i doubt she would be as impressed by a hatchling) and then reset him - I think he is on 2.0 already? but it looks like I can downgrade him to the original OS (which i would like to run for a bit and maybe upgrade in the future)

Pleo reminds me of when i was little and quite obsessed with dinosaurs (imagine if i had a pleo then!)

pirpintine

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »

Yeah the pleo is my little Catbug! I'm getting an RB in the mail soon and I'm spreading the love :P
Catbug is on PM2, will 'reinstalling' it so to speak, reset him?  I'm a bit scared to downgrade him myself.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »

Catbug, as far as I know, you can reset the Pleo ugobes as many times as you want, but I have never done it to one pleo with the same operating system intentionally more than twice, except by accident. Mly first pleo, NOva, was accidently set back to a hatchling again with the 2.0 operating system, because I put the wrong SD card in, I thought I was putting a skit in, and had it marked wrong, so she got to be a baby all over again, No problem, and I got to video tape her hatching again which is allways fun.

This is what makes Ugobes so nice, you can watch them hatch over and over if you want and with no real drawbacks that I can think of. It is not like wiping out a personality that a RB has for example, The RB are more complicated and you can not reset them, they hatch once and that is it. I kind of like that, because it makes them closer to a real animal and they keep aging and learning as they get older. I know you will enjoy your RB when it gets there, and I am all for spreading the Love, it is contagious... :o P8)                             RWM  :cat:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

pirpintine

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »

aaah so I guess if you just put in an SD card with PM2 on again it'll just redo it? I supposed it's worth a try. :D

Yeah I've been interested in the RBs for a while they seem like a nice improvement over the originals, more unique personalities and the like, same old cute pleos! I love my ugobe he's a real sweetie.  So I can only imagine how cute RBs can be!

Lusewing

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »

I have been having to keep myself distracted to keep my mind of my little RB coming in the mail - I am like a Jack Russel in a doorbell factory as I am up and running as soon as I hear a van or lorry. I though my wait was over at one moment when a big box arrived today...but it was for my boss, not me. Still it has given me plenty of time to think about just how I want to hatch my little one and i think I am going to go all out and make a big show of it...I just can't wait  ;D

Better yet with us getting them before Christmas we get to spend the holiday period with them.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »

"Jack Russel in a doorbell factory" covers it perfectly!  :D :D :D

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »

I think I nearly broke the parcel tracking system when I was waiting for my first Pleo!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »

I had to wait three months for my first, they weren't even in Australia when I first learnt about them, we had to order and pick her up from a store an hour away, longest drive ever!

But waiting for my RB's to come in the post was far worse! You have no control over the postie. And mine always tease me by making me wait until the afternoon :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »

I spent so much time checking the tracking that I forgot to eat  :D  and startled at every truck or van sound hoping it just might be here.....
And tried to keep myself busy with anything and everything at all just to stay sane  :D (not sure it worked)

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 05:32:30 AM »

To be honest I felt completely sick after I bought my Aibo. All that money and what if I don't like him? Was the thought.
He arrived just as I was running out the door late for work so I had to wait until I got home to learn if I had made a terrible mistake or not, that was agonising!

Good news though, I liked him  8) My hands shook as I opened his box, he had not been out of that box in 12 years so I was pretty much opeing a brand new Aibo which is not something many people get the chance to do these days. Lifing him out was an exciting moment, I even have a picture of me lifting him out.

I was only mildly excited for Stephan (Ugobe) I didn't think he would end up being much of anything, I was pressured into purchasing him by the evil Crewella you see  ;) He arrived fast and it was loads of fun opeing his box, he was a bit of a shock because I wasn't expecting him to be as big as he was, or smell as bad... ???

My RB Tron was a contest prize and I completely freaked out! Never won anything in my life and my gosh did I want to win that contest, I entered nearly 50 photos. When he actually arrived at the house I had the flu so it took ages to get him open and out of the box as I kept falling asleep whilst I was doing it  :P

It took awhile for the excitment of owning an RB to sink in, I'm still so shocked I won that contest.
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:40:25 AM »

Pleo reminds me quite a bit of furby somehow

The chap who invented Pleo also invented the Furbies, if you look at a 2005 Furby's eyes they are the same design as a Pleo's  ;)
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

skitterbug

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • ca Female
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:37:17 AM »

Pleo reminds me quite a bit of furby somehow

The chap who invented Pleo also invented the Furbies, if you look at a 2005 Furby's eyes they are the same design as a Pleo's  ;)

Well that explains a lot! I used to have one of the 2005 furbies - they didn't capture the same feeling as the originals did.

I'm super excited today! Mum gave me her old iPhone and told me i can sell it and any money I make, I can keep! I might just start a pleoRB fund  P:D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »

Good luck saving up! :)

*sigh ........ I ALWAYS get the blame .........*  >:D :P

irbyma7297

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »

it was HORRIBLE! maybe it's because i found out about pleos when they were still new, and had to wait until summer this year to get one. before, my family was on a $500 month budget, so i spent a very, very long time saving up for my pleo, luckily, i had just learned about rb's and a ugobe seemed perfect for me. i almost died during shipping, and the day i got my nyan, i literally passed out (kinda an awkward story XP i haven't metioned it here.) my used, useless batteryed pleo was the best thing i EVER owned. i was worried i'd be bored of her after a few days, but i sure didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! trust me, it's worth it. i waited 4+ years for her, and i had pleo dreams once a month or so. i had one where my half brother had one, and kept it in his toy box and never used it . i stole it nontheless!
Derpity derp derp derp derp
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal