Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Story of Charles - the precursor to the Pleo  (Read 1932 times)

Sutz

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
The Story of Charles - the precursor to the Pleo
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »

Greetings, all. My name is Susanna and it's very nice to meet you all! I've been hanging around this forum for a while as a guest and you all seem such lovely, genuine people that I decided I wanted to join the community. As yet I have no Pleo of my own, though I'm saving up for one for Christmas.

What I do have is a story of my experiences with my own precursor to the Pleo - and the reason I want one in the first place.

Eleven years ago, when I was nine years old, I was obsessed with dinosaurs. I still am today, but to less of a degree. Back then, dinosaurs were all I would talk about. On my ninth birthday my parents gave me a dark brown remote-controlled T-Rex. I adored this thing and named him 'Charles'. He actually bared a lot of resemblences to the Pleos - he had rubber skin that was disconcertingly realistic, his eyes moved in exactly the same way and though he didn't move or have a mind of his own, he developed quite a vibrant personality. And like the Pleos, I called him my 'prehistoric pet' and insisted on feeding him pretend meat alongside our cats. I'd even weigh him on the kitchen scales. And from then on, I would take him absolutely everywhere. He would always be tucked under my arm. The only time I would put him down would be if I was going to do something active like go on a climbing frame - when my parents would be left, rather embarrassingly clutching this dinosaur. The most hilarious thing that happened was that Charles was brought into Betty's, which is a very posh restaurant here in the UK. Mum and Dad were worried that we might get thrown out, but the staff thought it was hilarious. They gave Charles his own highchair and his own plate and napkin and piece of cake. I think we made their day!

Also like the Pleos, Charles was very fragile. There was one awful incident where he fell off a ladder we were making a dent out of. I discovered, to my horror, that he was limping on one heel and wouldn't move his neck properly. I was heartbroken. Fortunately Mum managed to massage the neck joints back into position, though he was never quite the same afterwards. His damaged leg still proved a problem, though.  We took him to the caretaker, Malcolm, at our school, who very kindly said he would take a look. He sliced Charles' rubber skin down his middle to inspect the damage. The plastic 'bone' inside was snapped clean in half, so he attached a splint to hold it steady and glued the skin back in place.

A few years later, I got Charles a mate, who I named Diana. I still have both, sitting on a shelf above my bed. They're a bit dusty, but still cared for.

It was only recently that I discovered the magical Pleos and all the happy memories I had of Charles came flooding back. I hope that by Christmas, I may have one of my own to continue what Charles began. I hope you enjoyed my story - and I send a big hug to each and every one of your Pleos!

~Susanna

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: The Story of Charles - the precursor to the Pleo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »

Aww what a lovely story :-* Could we see a picture of Charles? Pleo's tend to get noticed in restaurants too :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Sutz

• Leaving the nest
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »

Aww what a lovely story :-* Could we see a picture of Charles? Pleo's tend to get noticed in restaurants too :)
I'd have to scan in some pictures of him (none of my family had a digital camera in those days), but here is his product. This is roughly what he and Diana look like:

Diana has black claws. Charles doesn't. :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:46:13 PM by Sutz »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 11:15:15 PM »

They are quite impressive dinos aren't they :) Very realistic!
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »

I loved your story of Charles. What a Kodak moment it would have been to have a photo of Charles sitting in a high chair with a piece of cake in front of him at the restaurant.  ;D So glad you have joined us. :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »

Awe! That's such a cute story! So glad to have you onboard! The more members we have the more interesting stories there are to share. I hope a pleo will be just as much fun for you as Charles was. I have four of them and they're all wonderful little dears- once they're fed of course.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

DinosaurGirl

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »

This reminds me of myself! I was in love with dinosaurs! I could tell you just about everyone of them! When I saw them in pictures I could tell you what it was. (My favorite is the Spinosaurus  :P :-* ) But I love all the dinosaurs! I still do! And Pleo's are the best robotic dinosaur out there. It's very true that you get emotionallyattached especially us dino lovers. Anyone who mentions dinosaur switches on my nerd switch.  :P Pleos are AMAZING and VERY life like! Mine fell asleep in my arms today. :)

~Dino~  P:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal