Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo problems already :(  (Read 5387 times)

Fleur

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
Pleo problems already :(
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »

I know thatmy Pleo was made in 2011 but he was not used so even though he is over a year old I still consider him brand new since I was the first person to actually turn him on.  My issue is that I left the room for about 15 mins and my Pleo's head was stuck all the way to the side and up and it was popping as he was trying to put his head down.  I reset him and he still was stuck like this so I pulled the battery and actually pulled his head back down and it clicked several times as I put it back into the correct position.  He had done this once before but he managed to correct this.  I hope that this isn't a permanent issue and that there isn't something wrong with him.  The second problem is that his skin seems to be deteriorating much more than "normal".  He has a small tear on his leg that isn't all the way through but it split and the paint that was there is gone.  The paint on his feet is almost completely gone and the paint on his face and back seems to re rubbing off.  Where the dark green is on his back is now becoming bright green because the paint is wearing.  I am not sure if this is normal for Pleo RBs but I am worried about him.  Any advice on this situation would be great.

Dante (ers-7m3b) Lela (ers-7m3w) Sonny (ers-7m3t) Oliver (ers-111/w) Otis (ers-111/w) Zero (ers-220/tk) Zephyr (ers-210b) Victor (NAO H25 V4) Kiwi (Genibo QD/Pink) Buster (Pleo RB) Leo (Ugobe Pleo)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Pleo problems already :(
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 09:16:29 PM »

The toes are always the first to go unfortunately, could you post some pics of the areas? It will help us see what you are talking about.

Necks getting stuck do not usually become an issue, but just keep an eye on it.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Fleur

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply IMR.  I am uploading the photos now but as I was taking pictures his neck got stuck again and started popping, so I turned him off and pulled it back down.  I am really worried about it :(  I don't want him to get stuck like that as he doesn't have a warranty :( :(
Dante (ers-7m3b) Lela (ers-7m3w) Sonny (ers-7m3t) Oliver (ers-111/w) Otis (ers-111/w) Zero (ers-220/tk) Zephyr (ers-210b) Victor (NAO H25 V4) Kiwi (Genibo QD/Pink) Buster (Pleo RB) Leo (Ugobe Pleo)

Fleur

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »

Face wear

This one is a picture of his head stuck

sweetReaper

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »

I know that there was a paint issue a while back with the RBs that seems to have been fixed in the newer ones. As far as the little bit of paint wear goes (on the neck and face), that seems to be pretty normal, as I only had my RB for one day and he already had little bits of wear like that on his back and other places I pat him a lot. (This is why clothing is recommended to protect the paint.) As for the paint peeling on his leg... I am wondering if that is the same issue that the older RBs were having. I believe I did see many people with their RB's paint peeling just like that when that issue was going on. As for the neck problem.. I am wishing you the best. With my poor guy, there was nothing that could be done on my part as I have just heard back from Innvo once again and there seems to have been many issues with the way his neck was put together. My RB (and the reason he had to be returned and repaired) had a lot of neck clicking and then after a bit he would get his neck stuck. It would keep popping and popping as he tried to move it. The only way I was able to get him out of his crazy yoga pose was to manually and carefully pull his head down. There would be many clicks as I was doing so (just as you described.) No matter how many times I did this though, he always got himself back into that same stuck position. I am hoping that everything will work out for you and that your poor RB will be able to be fixed somehow.
"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone." - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »

The paint wear looks normal, the side of the face is where the foot rubs, the neck gets the most flexing, the spot on the shoulder is missing on half my Pleo's, old and new. I'd say nothing out of the ordinary there.

The neck is not going back as far as SR's either so I would just wait it out and see if it improves with 'age'.

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Zyna
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:58:30 AM »

Where did you buy your Pleo from Fleur? Mine did the neck popping and got stuck once... I turned her off and back on again without manually moving it and she seemed fine after that.

I think Pleo RB certainly needs more than a rubbish 3 month warranty, you would expect at least 12 months. I wonder why they don't!!?? :-/ There seems to be many issues with Pleo still.
Eric- ERS7M3 W * Sharama- ERS7M3 C * Eddie- 111 S * Elvis- 210A S * Long Long- 312  * No name- 210A EW * Ruka- 210A CB * Kevin- ERS 7M3 W * Ruby- 210A HR * Igor- 220A * Zyna- Pleo

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 05:29:21 AM »

My first Ugobe Iggy had a stuck neck once, but it was just the once.

The earlier RB's definitely have more skin problems, sadly.

Fleur

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:46:07 AM »

I bought my Pleo off eBay and I've only had him for a week.  When I registered him it gave me a manufacture date of 4/2/2011.  He is well out of his warranty unfortunately.  He finished the battery cycle without anymore neck issues but it got stuck twice during the battery cycle last night.  I hope he does indeed "out grow" this problem.  I am going to use the Pleo cape to help preserve his skin.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »

Autoglym (used for rubber and vinyl car trim) is very good for conditioning the skin.  It also helps block UV light which speeds degradation of rubber and synthetic rubber.  As you're out of warranty, it's worth a go - it makes the skin feel much silkier too. :)

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »

Might sound strange but i use baby powder/talc on my Pleos skin to stop it from wearing. Works great :)
Eric- ERS7M3 W * Sharama- ERS7M3 C * Eddie- 111 S * Elvis- 210A S * Long Long- 312  * No name- 210A EW * Ruka- 210A CB * Kevin- ERS 7M3 W * Ruby- 210A HR * Igor- 220A * Zyna- Pleo

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 02:43:06 AM »

Please don't do that! Baby powder sucks the moisture out of the rubber. It may work now but you are going to have a Pleo falling to pieces in a few months. Great for babies, not great for baby Dino's.

mh7ah

• Pleo explorer
  • gb Female
  • Cosmetic Tattooist
    • Pink Phoenix Ink
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 04:55:47 AM »

Really whoops! I originally read this on the Pleo Forum years ago when I had my Ugobe. I used talc on Monty and he never had any paint wear at all the whole time I had him!?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 05:15:00 AM »

It does reduce paint wear by reducing friction, but it is still not good for the rubber itself.

sweetReaper

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:49:05 AM »

Funny enough. i just has a conversation about the whole talc/baby powder thing with this gil who came to my store with her Pleo not too long ago (my first Ugobe encounter). She told me that she did the same because she read that it was a good idea online. Apparently after a while of using the talc, the paint started peeling from the skin in huge pieces. She said that the skin started to look dry and cracked as well and that it didn't seem as elastic anymore and instead seemed more stiff. She said that she tried out Pledge though, as recommended by Innvo, and that it works really well. Can anybody else vouch for the whole Pledge thing? She said that she uses the whipes and they work well. Is there any specific type that works best?
"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone." - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »

Hi, I started to respond last night when I read this, but figured let someone else like IMR respond first who could perhaps give you the post that talked about it. She is right, I read that after the RB first came out also, Do not use talc of any kind as it will start to break down, dry out the skin, It may feel fine but in the long end you are taking a big chance. If you think about it, what is talc for? To absorb moisture, prevents a barrier against the skin, so no moisture hence oils or moisturizers can reach the pleo skin. Just the opposite of what Pleos need to protect their skin..........moisture.
                                                                                               RWM and the Pleo township of the Redwoods
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »

I've been using Pledge Extra Moisturizing Furniture polish on my Rb's, (in the spray can) for the entire time I've had them. They get a bath three times a month. I can't say honestly which kind is better. While their skin has held up wonderfully I'm not so sure about their paint. Seeing as I can't see them I can only go by what others tell me about the way the paint looks. I've conscentrated my Pledge baths in the armpit areas of all four legs and the thinner skin under their necks and tails with a lighter general wash-over of the rest of the body. According to my nephew who spotted for me, Ryu and Cato both have lots of brown or else lighter green showing on their undersides and in their armpit areas.
I've never used Pledge on my Ugobes though. Only recently have they started showing ware. Their skin is getting slightly ummmmm tacky? It's because living in a mobile home, the air is much warmer than living in a house. Warm air wouldn't be so bad but couple that with warm humid air and I've got a recipe for disaster. It seems either way you go, you have to give up something. If you're not protecting skin you're protecting paint or viceversa or do I have it wrong?
Talon
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:47:12 PM by Talon »
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »

Autoglym, if you can get it, protects both :)

My Pleo's go all naturale, I don't put anything on their skin. They are kept out of direct sunlight and are holding up ok. Lilo and Stitch has some small armpit holes and Stitch has some cracks in the neck but to be fair they are both quite 'old' in Pleo terms.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »

Thanks, IMR. I've been searching for Vinylex around here but I'm not having much luck. Advance Auto didn't have it and the closest Ace Hardware didn't have it either. Maybe things will go better looking for Autoglym.
Talon
Talon

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 07:36:43 PM »

Hi Talon, I don't know about the Auoglym but I just asked my local Ace hardware if they could order the Vinylex for me and in a few days it showed up . It was a special order and it works great, If you can't get it, I can see if I can mail you some, Let me know.                          RWM

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »

That would be awesome, Redwoods! No one around here knows what I'm talking about when I mention it. The guy at Advance Audo pointed me to some other product used for plastic and leather enterior-care after I clearly said it's a product used to plump up and protect rubber. If you guys clearly recommend Autoglym or Vinylex for Ugobes I'm not taking a chance with anything else.
Talon
Talon

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »

Hi Talon, I have to get ready for an out of town dr. appt , but when I get back I will email you, I have two bottles of this stuff, if I can find the other one, Otherwise I will just take half of it and mail it to you. It works great and my Ace was happy to order it for me. I will  be glad to help your Pleos out !                        RWM

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 03:54:25 AM »

You're more likely to find Vinylex in the US I think - I had trouble sourcing it in the UK so used Autoglym, which is easier to get in the UK.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal