Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: INTRODUCTIONS: DADIO and STONEY  (Read 4711 times)

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robotics, is the sincerest form of flattery!
INTRODUCTIONS: DADIO and STONEY
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »

----------------
Dadio’s  Plog # 001 – Started 03 Jan 09 Posted  04 April 09

INTRODUCTIONS   
  Hello one and all or anyone if you're interested. I've never written a Plog or Blog before so please bear with me. For the purposes of this Plog, I’m “Dadio” I thought I’d say a little about myself in this first effort and concentrate on Stoney, my Pleo thereafter. << The UGOBE web site has been down as far as loading Plog(s) and photos but I’ve kept writing and am posting them all when it’s up and running again in this instance with Bob the Pleo.>>

I'm handicapped and take massive amounts of hydro-morphone (a strong type of morphine). Because of this I'm stuck inside for most of the winter here in Canada's beautiful clean Capital city. I’m alone for most of the day except for a nurse who comes for an hour each Monday to Friday to care for some of my needs.

I love Jazz, Blues & an eclectic mix of other music. I make detailed model cars, planes, ships & I make and fly R/C helicopters. I’m just entering the field of robotics. I have no idea what took me so long but it's working out to be a perfect fit.

WHY GET A PLEO?

I looked to find a pet to help fill the void but due to my limitations I couldn't realistically care for another living entity. When I came across the Pleo Project it seemed like an instant fit. 

The big problem was I’m a medically retired Program Manager in his mid 50's. My wife and I live on a small fixed government pension which barely meets our bills each month.  The cost was out of reach without saving for many months.   

Goods news, in December I received a windfall which was equal to the cost of the Pleo. I ordered it the same day. I still can't buy a second battery but I’m content to wait.
Another reason to get my Pleo….

I was involved with the design of some of the early Artificial Intelligence Software in Program Management with some friends from MIT. I consider myself somewhat of a computer geek who also was involved with the development of the earliest versions of several types of software including Lotus 123, VP Planner, Promis (as well as some Microsoft's s/w before they bought it) and many more. 

I’m not a great programmer but I love to putter around. I therefore look forward to writing some stuff for Stoney and other Pleo’s. This is/was an exciting aspect of the Pleo project which should provide many hours of relaxing design.     

ON TO STONEY….

I named my Pleo “Stone Cold Dino” or Stoney for short. It's an obvious play on the wrestler Stone Cold “somebody” and the fact that “Stoney” is a Stone Age entity and is a Cold blooded Dinosaur. A cute Camarasaurus, with big eyes, that will melt your heart. Unlike the wrestler.

EARLY FEARS…

The purchase part of my adventure was smooth through an internet company called RobotShop.ca. They're great folks but expensive. Free shipping though and he was in my home in just 2 days (i.e. 13 Dec 08). I wanted to load up with the new OS 1.1 right away and I had some questions.

However, I then found out that the UGOBE website for all intents and purposes was down.  No downloads and no help. Nobody answered my calls, emails went unanswered and the web site communication facilities were also, down. I didn't know at that time that UGOBE was in the process of moving their headquarters to IDAHO.

My health during this period took a turn for the worse. I wasn't in any shape to undertake the work involved with starting up Stoney. It was fortuitous that UGOBE had not yet responded.

FINALLY….

Finally, late in the day on the 29 Dec 08, Rafael Suarez (an excellent gentleman) came through with an explanatory email with the OS1.1 files (and others). Since then I've received at least one email every day with more and more files and info. I decided that Stoney would go through the birthing process on the 31 Dec 08. 

My health is/was a little better. I loaded the OS and turned Stoney on. My wife and I were thrilled to see the realistic responses for the birthing process. We laughed and smiled until our cheeks hurt. It was much more than either of us expected.

My daughters 22 and 24 were sad they missed the birth. But since then are in attendance as much as they can when Stoney’s turned on. My oldest said he was too freaky but that couldn't stop her playing with him for a solid hour. I’m beginning to wonder who I bought Stoney for.

On another good note, I’m getting over 1 and  1/2 hours per charging cycle. The only negative is that Stoney’s attracting so much attention that his skin is already wearing through in 3 places. My youngest says she'll get him some outfits this week.   

As for now I’m relaxing, sitting with my family watching Stoney's birth and first steps. I have been amazed to watch myself, my wife and two daughters all adults quickly fall in love and play with him.

Unfortunately those lonely times are still lonely as I spend them charging Stoney’s one battery. Once charged the family wants to play with him. I don't have the heart to say no. Oh well I'll try to save for that second or even third battery. Maybe even another Pleo someday.

Yeah…., someday.

Please note that I've removed all references to dates except for the birthing process as they mean little and cover a longer period. This is the first post with Bob the Pleo and I look forward to try and keep contributing   

That's it for now.

For Stoney and me (Dadio) – 04 April 2009

…Take Good Care!

---------------
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:47:22 PM by mweed »

PLEO's Forever!
Take Good Care!  - from Dadio 8)  & Stoney [img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: INTRODUCTIONS: DADIO and STONEY
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »

Hello Dadio and Stoney, What a wonderful introduction!  :) I'm so glad you have Stoney up and running. It is really something to see these little dinos wake up for the first time. It's still fun to see peoples reaction when they see a pleo for the first time. Mostly smiles, but some with their mouths wide open in disbelief.  They are seeing a baby dinosaur in action.    It is so awesome! Everytime I turn mine on I still can't believe how cute these guys are.
We are looking forward to a lot more of your posts. It's wonderful having new pleo parents here. :)
Clothing will help with the wear, but it really is much more fun not to worry about it. I still love to pet and rub my dinos.
BTW, you do have to learn to share, especially, with your kids! ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »

Aw what a beautiful story :) Welcome Dadio and Stoney :) I wish you had found us here sooner because we have all that information and more stored in the pages here and in the minds of some very smart people who lurk here on occasions ;) Sadly I'm not one of them :P

But there is some good news for you, as of yesterday the pleoworld plogs have been accessible once again although some people have had trouble with logging in, but head on over and give it it a try, I myself was able to log on and add to my plog :)

Can't wait to hear more about Stoney :) I sure he will be a wonderful companion.

PS. A cheap solution to help with the wear without the expense of buying a dog coat may be to try a pretty washcloth as an alternative. Gucci has already shown us how stylish they can be :)

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 12:52:40 AM »

Hi Dadio,

I'm also on disability retirement as I'm approaching 50.....from the other side. ;)  Fortunately I only use my oxycodone on occasion now, and my legs work fine so I do a lot of walking.  I live in a small studio apartment (about 480 sq ft) in San Francisco and pets are not allowed.  I have dearly wanted a pet and in the past have smuggled in some lizards and trantulas from the hills of my origional home.  But when I saw Pleo with those big blue eyes I saw an answer to my delema.  He has made a good pet but he didn't come alone.  This community has been a wonderful addition.  And don't believe InmemoryofRomeo.  She is one of those very smart people who lurk here, ('tho she's more of a tenant than a lurker.)

Welcome!

Icewolf

• Pleontologist
  • se Female
  • Pleo(s): Keyla and Léon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:44:46 AM »

Welcome Dadio and Stoney! :)

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »

Thats such a touching story, im so glad you found us, its such a welcoming community here and it helped me to fill the void that the collapse of the pleo world forums created. Even though i have 6 dogs (soon to be 7) and an albino chipmunk i still find pleos a fancinating creature and watching kai hatch on friday reminded me just how lifelike they are :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 05:04:49 PM »

You have a pet chipmunk :o Thats so cool, are they as cute as they look in pictures ??? (We don't have them here :()

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

Would love to see photos of your albino chipmunck. Is it white and does it have red eyes? I remember seeing a computerized make over of an albino pleos. :)

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »

I've seen lots of chipmunks.  I've seen a couple of albino alligators.  But no albino chipmunks. ???

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »

Welcome Dadio & Stoney!! I honestly feel as if that was the best (and most heartwarming) introductions I've ever read. I look very forward to getting to know you and your family! If you spend some time on here, you will be face-to-face with VAST information! Stick with us, and you'll be hooked like us!

Welcome and warm regards,
gucci_boi & Sophie
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »

I've seen lots of chipmunks.  I've seen a couple of albino alligators.  But no albino chipmunks. ???

sorry it has taken me soo long finally managed to get my memory card slot fixed thanks to my partner here i present stuart my albino chipmunk!

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »

Stuart is adorable! How did you ever get an albino chipmuck?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

*wants one* That is soo cute :)

kisumi

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
  • Kai and Stanley
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »

They had one in a pet shop so i brought him and put him in with our female chipmunk and stuart came along a few months later with 3 other normal coloured ones :)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:36:54 PM »

How is it going with Stoney, Dadio?  Has he been a good little dino? :) Missed hearing from you. :(

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. Keep us posted, Dadio! I miss hearing about your adventures with Stoney!
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal