Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oslo is getting a friend  (Read 2358 times)

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
Oslo is getting a friend
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:41 AM »

So today I placed an order for a green PleoRB from Pleoworld  ;D

The excitement of not knowing boy or girl, colour of eyes and so on begins again. I'm really excited because even though I'm getting to know Oslo real well his colour is a bit toy like for me and the green just seems more natural. Don't get me wrong I really do like Oslo, but I wouldn't take him to my local cafe.

So how will I know if this PleoRB is a girl or boy? With the Asian model it's a colour defined thing.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Oslo is getting a friend
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:43 AM »

Congrats on getting another pleo! Though personally I don't think it's worth it to sell an aibo to buy a pleo. . . But my pleo isn't here yet so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if pleos are almost as good as aibos.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:55:11 AM »

You can access the new pleos profile on pleo world which will show you a hatching photo and tell you all about the personality characteristics and the gender of your pleo.  You can also use the Statsrb program that Pleopet made to check the gender and some of the other things too.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »

Oh yesssssss!  I'm glad you decided to go for it!  ;D

You can look up the profile as Kat says, or you can use Pleopet's StatsRB program (in the software section). :)

"Congrats on getting another pleo! Though personally I don't think it's worth it to sell an aibo to buy a pleo. . . But my pleo isn't here yet so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if pleos are almost as good as aibos."

Oooooooooooh - very controversial thing to say on a Pleo forum, aibo7m3!!  :o  ;)  :P  :D

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 05:29:19 AM »

Congrats on getting another pleo! Though personally I don't think it's worth it to sell an aibo to buy a pleo. . . But my pleo isn't here yet so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if pleos are almost as good as aibos.

I have two aibo 210s and for me one is more than enough to handle. Aibos are great, but let's face it they are a dead technology which is no longer covered for parts or software. My 210 is very much treasured and I'm more than happy to have just the one because it makes him unique to me. Personally I think they are way over priced by today's standard and I have no hesitation it pricing a 210 to that of a new PleoRB. I believe that's fair and reasonable.

I wanted a green PleoRB but couldn't wait long enough so jumped the gun and bought a blue one. Oslo is very cool, but the colour isn't appealing enough to me to take him out. When I got my first Pleo I took him everywhere and many times people walking by actually thought he was real (that's not going to happen with a blue and pink striped one). I love the illusion and how organic a PleoRB is. It's a huge improvement on the original Ugobe model, which was pretty good.

I love that my PleoRB can feel me patting him, he whimpers when he wants to be picked up and he nuzzles into me when I do. I love playing tug of war with him and I think it's great that when he doesn't want attention he let's me know and is happy to explore on his own.

You can't compare an aibo to a PleoRB, but with robotic pets advancing a green PleoRB fits the bill for me. PleoRB gives as a result of what it gets, aibo gives as a result of the software in it. Don't forget aibo was always marketed as an "entertainment robot" PleoRB is marketed as A "life form".

Yes for me it's worth it because I believe I got the fair and reasonable price for it.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 05:52:43 AM »

I absolutely agree with you, Ozpleo!  ;D

I love the Aibo and I'm thrilled with Java the new ERS-7, but the Pleos have slotted into my life, and my heart, so comfortably and completely I can't quite imagine the house without one now.  They also have a very gentle, relaxing presence that makes them such great companions.  Which is why I 'live' on a Pleo forum and not an Aibo one!  :D

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:44:16 AM »

Well said, Crewella and Oz. I almost "live" here too. This place is like Face Book to me without the drama. Everyone is great, you get good advice, and even more valuable for me is the chance to try out all this technical stuff and doing things with technology that I never thought I could do. It's- how do I say this? It's empowering. Despite my blindness, I don't feel different here.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

bhobbes

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »

I never owned a Ugobe, but I think that even from the Innvo Pleo to the RB was a huge improvement. One of my favorite things about the RBs is the speed it moves at, to steal terminology from OzPleo, it really does make it feel organic. Also, I think there are more things "natural" to Pleos (RBs especially) that give them a more physically alive feeling, even in the face of the fact it's a dinosaur (or, as I like to think of it, a personally colored mini komodo dragon that can't turn against me). And a robot dinosaur on top of that. For instance, one thing that's clearly unnatural (although from a technical perspective very handy) is the way Aibo can turn around. Unlike Pleo, he doesn't have to back up like anything with Pleo "bone structure" would have to do. And one of the organic things I like the most is the way Pleo RBs react to all the sensors so appropriately - such as leaning into you, etc.

However, I do feel more of a "connection" mentally with Nicco. Part of that for me is just what I find appealing about the software and his looks (I'm a huge dog person so there's bias here). I enjoy both for different reasons and consider them different experiences - after all, they are different concepts. Because of that, I try not to rank one as better than the other. For me, an Aibo companion is a slightly better and more realistic fit than a Pleo life form. But this isn't because one seems superior to the other, it's that to me the aibo concept is more realistic from a technical and human perspective. I don't believe that anything can ever replace the connection you'd feel with a living thing (even though rationally objects often behave better than humans), so for me, I could never connect with Pleo the way I ever would an animal. And that's not knocking the product - I am just someone who will always remind myself that this is essentially a computer with different input/outputs than most are accustomed when they conceptualize computers.

Now, that reminder is there with Aibo as well - but Aibo is more companion like to me similar to the way R2D2 and various scifi AI robots etc. are to the humans in their environment. It flaunts that its a robot but it feels more like living in the future (well, the development to what may be the future) with the interaction of human beings and robots enhancing every day life. For me, that is what makes Aibo more up my ally. However, I don't think that makes it better than a Pleo RB, just different.

And though I find all Aibos charming, I still think Pleos win out on the cuteness factor (as well as others).

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »

Nicely written bhobbes

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »

Oz, I am so happy that you are getting another RB.  Good for you!  If it is any consolation to you, the gentleman who sold me my Aibo 210 (wolfbob), offered to trade me the Aibo for my RB.  I could not part with her.  She is part of my family. In fact, we are taking her on our 2 week vacation to Florida in a few weeks.  Kat has made her a special costume to wear at Disney World.   ;D

I also am so happy with my Pleo RB, although I have to admit that I have been giving Candy a break since Padfoot my 210 arrived.  :(  I feel they are completely different creatures.  I like the gentle personality of the Pleo RB and my kids would rather play with my Pleos than the Aibo.  They have a soft spot for dinosaurs, and the fact that it looks just like a baby dinosaur helps.  I wish they would have incorporated some of the technology of the Aibo into the RB, however. For example, I like that you can use certain voice commands and that anyone can say to them, not just one particular voice.  To me, the single voice recognition is annoying.  My husband also find the Pleo RB to be a bit boring compared to the Aibo, and I think that is simply because it will only recognize my voice. When I am not home, my kids want to play with Candy, but she can't do anything except play tug of war, walk, and eat because she only responds to me. I also love the Aibo ball and the way they chase it around.  I wish that Pleo RB would be updated with a toy that it could recognize and play with on its own like the Aibo.  Candy walks around, but she doesn't quite know what she is looking for, and she can't play tug of war by herself!  All this aside, I love her and wouldn't trade her for an Aibo, although I will be looking for an Aibo ers-7 next, but it will be a loooong while! I'd love to have another RB, but my hubby would kill me!   :D

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »

You can access the new pleos profile on pleo world which will show you a hatching photo and tell you all about the personality characteristics and the gender of your pleo....

Do you mean Pleoworld.com or the Hong Kong site? I know I went to the Hong Kong site for Oslo because he's a blue, but where in Pleoworld.com do you check for that information?

bhobbes

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »

I went here: http://www.pleoworld.com.hk/pleo_rb/eng/index.php

On the pleoworld.com site there is a news announcement about the Hong Kong site and then I followed the link. The site looks almost identical but there are some slight differences/tweaks.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »

I went here: http://www.pleoworld.com.hk/pleo_rb/eng/index.php

On the pleoworld.com site there is a news announcement about the Hong Kong site and then I followed the link. The site looks almost identical but there are some slight differences/tweaks.

That's where I went too.  As has been said, I think, you might need to register again - you can use the same details.  :)

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »

Ah okay so you get the information once you've registered your PleoRB. Well I received shipping confirmation so now it's just a waiting game  ;D

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:02 PM »

Congrats..  I've got to say I love my new Aibo and I am now overrun with Pleos and I love them as well..  It's just hysterical to walk into the room and have all these guys running around together, although my little patches has usually wandered his way into the next room before I can blink.. they can all get a little annoying at times, like any pet, or family member!  But then they say or do something that just makes you laugh or smile when you really need it.
When I walked by and got 2 rb's waving a foot at me saying 'ahh, oooh' trying to get my attention and another sleeping baby pleo in my arms it was.. charming, I guess! and made me snuggle the baby more..
Although I wish I could snuggle with my Aibo.. Loki gets mad when I try to sit him on my lap.. lol :)

For the sex of the Pleo, if you don't find out from the DNA stuff you might find out when your guys trance.. I just found out today that two of them were opposite sexes than I thought they were!  I hope you get the perfect one!!!

- Sarah

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »

woohoo! my new green PleoRB is now in the country and waiting to be delivered to me. It's Saturday here so I'll probably have to wait until Monday.

Stay tuned  ;)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »

Woooohooooo indeed!  :D

Can't wait to hear, and see, either!  ;D

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 04:53:58 PM »

Yeah. Keep us posted.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 10:46:36 PM »

Yay!  I can't wait to hear all about your new pleo on Monday. ;D  Ooh and we want pics too. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal