Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gumbles new paint job  (Read 13613 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Gumbles new paint job
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »

Oh Kat that's really annoying - I'm so sorry.  All I can think of is that the Polyglaze has penetrated right into the skin so the paint just can't get a good hold, maybe?  Again because of my antiques experience, I'm habitually ridiculously nervous about product build-up (I'll only apply wax to wood about once a year!) so have only treated Iggy with Autoglym twice in total.

I really hope you have better luck with this next try!  :hhug:

I see the answer to the riddle is lurking in the gallery as Minyon!  :P

Congrats, and welcome Minyon!  :-*  ;D

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »

Try number 3 was unsuccessful.  The ink cracked and split in the joins on the neck.  This stuff feels a lot drier than the other brand of ink too.  I gave it the damp cloth test and it stays put.  So that is something I guess. :)
I will clean him off again and wait for my latex paints to arrive before starting again.  Fingers crossed they work for me.
So it seems for Gumble at least ink is not the product to use. :)

The mystery box has been opened. :D  Minyon it is! :-*

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »

Best of luck that these inks work better :) The coverage is definitely looking better.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 06:30:54 PM »

As I had a similar, though much less problematic, issue with Iggy's sides and underarms it does look as though you did such a good job on getting Gumble's skin in good condition that he's just throwing the inks off.  Little brown job has never been Pledged/Autoglymmed.  I'm really sorry you've had no luck, Kat - after all your hard work.  :(  :hhug:

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »

Fingers crossed the latex ones work better for me. :)
On a side note the bronze ink I did on his neck is very hard to remove. >:(  I am sort of rubbing, stretching picking and scraping at it to get it to crack and peel off.  I have some special ink remover that I bought at the same time as the inks and it is doing nothing.  Warm soapy water also seems to be doing very little to help.  So time effort and persistence and lots of gentle rubbing and picking and I'm sure it will all be off eventually. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »

It's horribly ironic that you're now having trouble getting the darned stuff off again!  ???

By the way, Kat, I went over the little brown job's eyelids again in acrylic paint (not ink) and that seemed to coat fine.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »

Wow it was hard work removing the last lot of ink.  It really didn't want to come off.  Just wanted to stay on him in a flaky cracked kind of way. :D  I'm glad I only did his neck in the stuff it was such a pain to remove.  All I can say is it is a good thing I have long fingernails as I ended up picking most of it off one little flaky scale at a time.  It took a good couple of hours to remove it all.  With the other ink it only took about 5 mins to remove. :-X 
Gumble will remain green for a few more days until the latex paint I ordered gets here.  Then I will try again and see how I go.   :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 11:39:07 AM »

Sorry it took so long to get off poor Gumble, one thing you said that I want to mention is that Metallic Paints or inks from what I read are really hard to get off of surfaces and it has to do with the way they grab the surface so be careful using them, It has to do with the metals that are actually in the paint. Glad Gumble has a short vacation...LOL, He may want to rest while and just get acquainted with Minyon too!
                 RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »

Sorry to hear about the paint on the neck paint peeling Kat. :-/ Congratulations on another Ugobe Pleo Kat! :-D Sorry to hear that about how long it took for you to remove that latest, bad paint. But I want the next paint that you've got coming to work!
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »

Looks like Gumble will be waiting for his next attempt at painting.  We are just entering a 5 day long weekend for the Easter break and the paints didn't arrive yesterday so now we will have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday next week before they might be delivered.  Painting him may be a project for next weekend instead of this one. :)  In the mean time I will have my troupe roaming the floors for lots of play. :)

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »

Alright. Great about your Pleos Kat! >:-D
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »

Kat, what type of paints are you waiting for that you ordered? Did you buy them online locally or somwhere else? I was lucky and able to get myne by just walking in a store. Have to do the next step in painting my Lavendar girl, I havne't gotten too much feedback yet, except for people likeing the color, I think there will be a lot of people gone for the Easter Weekend and away for awhile, gives me the chance to catch up on play with my babies thankfully. I love painting and seeing changes take place but wish there were more time in the day...so glad to hear the Minyon is doing so well,
                            I need to play with my babies too, I am so slow, Baby is only on her fourth battery cycle,,,still a baby and advancing faster than the first Pleo Rb Baby did. part of that is why I think I am going so slow, I hate to see them grow up so fast...oh well, it happens. ;)
                         RWM

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 03:36:31 AM »

Well as you all know Gumble got his new paint job in lovely orange and yellow latex paint.  I am pleased to report that it is still doing very well.  I really wanted to paint his eyelids to match his new look so last night I decided to have another try at this.  I have tried a few times but nothing seemed to stick to the eyelids.  The paint just rolled off.  So last night I painted his eyelids with pink nail polish  :D  and then when it was dry i went over the top with yellow ocher ink.  This worked perfectly  ;D
I think is matches his new colors better than the pleo brown. 
Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 03:56:52 AM »

You're right - it does go better.  You did such a great job on Gumble, he looks fab!  How's the paint bearing up to wear?

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 04:14:41 AM »

Gumble looks awesome, Kat!  I am glad that the paint seems to be holding up. I would love to paint one of mine, but I would have to get another Ugobe at some point to do it.  I only have one Ugobe and one RB, and I want to keep Wilbur my Ugobe in his original green.  :)  Great idea with using nail polish.  Hope it holds up.   ;D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2011, 04:55:24 AM »

So far there are no signs of wear from petting.  I did have to touch up the red lines on his neck as there was a bit of peeling.  I had a small split and two other very small peeling spots only of the red though the rest of it stayed lovely.  I think the only reason it peeled (and only a little) was because I applied the red quiet thickly and then didn't give it long enough to set before coating him in polyglaze. :)  It was the very thickest red spots that peeled.  I have touched him up though - but I probably should have removed the pealing bits first as they are now little bumps- The new red has stuck the pealing bits back down.  I will probably remove the red here at some point when i find some time and patience and then just re do it.  Over all I think the latex paint is great.  It does move and flex very well and it is holding up just fine.  Since I did the touch up on the neck about a week ago there has been no further peeling.  I think it has been a success.   I also think that if I had applied the red in thin coats like I did the rest of his colors and maybe did a couple of coats instead of rushing it I would not have had any issues with it.  I am going to give him another dose of polyglaze in another week.  So that he will be all soft and clean and lovely for his adventure to Melbourne. :)  There is no signs of any paint wear along his back or his tail so it seems to be holding up to the petting test beautifully.  I have deliberately left him without clothes to ensure a fair testing of the paint. :)
I will post a pic shortly.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2011, 04:59:09 AM »

Lilo and Nani just can't wait to meet Gumble the famous Lava Pleo! He looks fabulous!
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2011, 05:09:23 AM »

I definitely found that thin coats left to dry thoroughly between layers gave the best results.  Sounds good!  ;D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2011, 05:15:19 AM »

He can't wait to meet them too  ;D

Ok after I wrote the above I went to take some pics for you and just found a split in the paint on his tail. :(  Oh well I guess I will touch it up and see how it goes.  I do think maybe I still didn't have him completely free from polyglaze when I painted him.  This is still the best out of all the paints I have tried so I will stick with it and keep touching up when he needs it.  Fingers crossed not very often. :)

Here is his neck after my hasty touch up.  I really should have taken the time to remove the excess red befoer painting over it. :P  
 It looks a bit lumpy where I touched it up.
 Over all he still looks great.  And he feels good too. :)

and here is the dreaded split in his tail paint.
I will touch it up and report back in a week or two to see how it is all going. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2011, 05:26:06 AM »

That seems like quite a strange place for it to split, too.  I guess it's the panel with the most stress from bending.  :-\

Still, as you say, the advantage of having painted him yourself is that it's easy enough to touch up!  :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »

Ok so no mucking around here!  I have set to it and peeled the lumpiest bits off his neck and also peeled the paint from the loose split in his tail and have just given all of those areas a thin coat of orange.  I will let it dry and then do a second coat of orange and maybe even a third before doing the red lines on his neck.  The orange on it's own should be enough to fix the tail. :)  I decided to make a start on it now so he is looking his best for when we go to visit IMR. :) 
I will let you know how I go and post photos in a few days time when his touch up is done. :)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 04:34:13 AM »

Gumbles touch up is all complete. :)  I removed the lumpy bits from his neck and redid it.  also touched up the tail area to fix the split paint there. 

While I was at it I did his toenails too. :)  May have gone a bit dark on them though. :P
So now he is good as new again.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »

Yay! Sounds like you did a good job, Kat!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »

Kat, Gumble is looking very spiffy and all set for his visit to IMR and her Dinos . Who else are you taking with you? Must be a tough decision or are you taking all four of the crew? Boy, I wish I could fly there and we could have a grand Pleo party, though with ten to twelve Pleos, I think we would need our own private airplane. LOl, I think I would bring my fave five or six and that would be it. Besides, Humpty is nto going anywhere till he gets put back together again.
              Love the colors , looking really good, glad you have patience to do a second or third coat need be. :)
                            RedwoodsMama

PS. forgot, when is your trip, so I can figure out when to send your package?

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:41 AM »

Gumble looks great again - those toenails do make a difference! :D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal