Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gumbles new paint job  (Read 13548 times)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Gumbles new paint job
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:08:48 AM »

Well my inks arrived and I decided to give the whole painting thing a go.  I used the same inks as Crewella.  Just different colors.
I wanted to do Gumble in a nice rusty caramel brown but as you can see from the pic below the brown I made up looked great wet but dried a very different color.  I only did the one coat of the brown and it didn't cover the green completely.  It would have needed a second coat to cover properly.
I didn't really like the color so I thought I would try going over it with orange to see if it would blend through and give the rusty look I was going for but it didn't blend at all just stayed orange.
The first coat of orange looked very light and almost fluorescent when I put it on but as I learned from the brown it dried much darker.  I needed two coats to cover properly.  Below is the first coat after it dried.
After the second coat it looked much better. :)
After he had a couple of hours to dry I thought I should add in his highlights to make him look pretty and tone down the orange just a bit. :)
Here it is the finished product wet.
And my trio together to show the color comparison.  Gumble is almost dry in this one.
And here he is dry.
To make the orange I used 2drops yellow Ocher one drop flame red and one drop white.  when I had mixed enough to cover the whole body I then added in about 5 drops of brown Ocher to tone down the fluorescent look a bit. 
To make the highlight color I used Yellow Ocher, white and brown Ocher and one drop of flame red.  Not too sure of the quantities as I just kept adding a bit of this and that till I got a color I liked.  There was about twice as much white as yellow and then about the same amount of the brown as the yellow and just one drop of red. 

After 2 hours of drying on the highlights I thought I would turn him on and see how it went.  Bad move on my part. :(  I don't think the ink in the joints of the neck and tail had dried properly as it split in these areas straight away.  I have switched him off and touched up the cracks and will let him sit overnight before I turn him on again.  Fingers crossed it works out this time.  the ink did seem to pool in these join areas so it was thicker here than anywhere else so I am hoping that was all it was.
I will report back in the morning.
Kat

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
Re: Gumbles new paint job
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:49:03 AM »

Wow Kat! I thought you were going to touch up a few areas at first!  I really like the orange, and I like the contrast in color with your other pleos.  I hope the ink works out for you this time and does not crack.  My DD loves pink, but orange is her favorite color. I think I will hide these pictures from her :P. She will want me to paint Wilbur, and that won't turn out as well as yours did.  ;D. Keep us posted!

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:18:17 AM »

Great job kat!

I was confused when I saw "Gumble" in the gallery and it looked like a pink RB!  Thought my memory was playing tricks on me!

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:08:46 AM »

Me too degers, I saw it and was like "Wait, grumble is Kat's green original, am i going insane(er)?". He looks great Kat, I acually like the pink better than the undried brown.  ;). Grumble looks like a whole new pleo! I can't imagine him not being the same old Grumble inside though!
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »

Good grief!!  :o  :D

I did a full comedy double take!!  Gumble looks fabulous, and thanks for the step by step commentary.  What with the clothes and now the paint, Kat's gone into creative  overdrive!!!  Good job!  ;D ;D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »

If I didn;t  see it I wouldn't belive it Kat, I had no idea you were going to do anything but a touchup! I am so surprised and quite happy with the way Gumble looks, he does have new life in him, and I think it fits his new home, he is an Aussie now! Great choice of colors too, Hope the tail and neck paint thing works out, had no idea those inks, took so long to dry. Can't wait to see some video of him moving Kat, With his new wardrobe and colors he is truly a star! :) It looks to me like I started somthing and with Crewella and IMR also doing this, you were a surprise and now there are FOUR Wild Pleo Painters on this forum! ;D

Before you know it there will no "normal" green Pleos left. we are about to see a whole rainbow of Pleos on here . Congrats Kat, and welcome to the Pleo Painters club. You passed with flying colors. Gumble looks great. :)
                                     RedwoodsMama   AKA " The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods"
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »

Wow! Rare green pleos. Well, Ugobe will most likely stay just as he is. Good job you guys and have fun!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

Well unfortunately Gumbles new paint is still cracking and splitting in the joints of his neck and tail and I even got a shoulder split from him sulking and rubbing his chin with his foot.  It is also rubbing off already with stroking along his back.
I don't know what I did wrong.  I used the same brand of Inks that Crewella used to touch up Iggy.  If anyone has any suggestions on what went wrong or how to fix it I would love to hear them. 
Maybe I applied it too thickly?  Maybe I didn't let it dry properly or long enough between coats? 
I did allow the ink to kind of pool on him to try to get better coverage with less coats.  So maybe this is where I went wrong?

I really love this color on him and want to get it right.  So any help or suggestions would be great.  We do know this product can work as we have seen on Iggy.  So I will do my best to clean him down and try again.  This time I will take it more slowly and be less impatient and do more, thinner coats with a  much longer drying time between each and a running test between each coat too.
Kat

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:19:23 PM »

Aww hope you get it working right Kat, he does look so dapper, hope you can keep the colour :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »

Cleaning him off now :(  It seems it washes off in water. :o  I thought it was suppose to be water proof when it dried.
At least it seems easy to remove.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »

Oh, I am so sorry to hear the paint is not doing what it is supposed to, I haven't used that brand of paint / or is it INK? Otherwise I could perhaps help, What is the temperature and humidity right now, that may be a factor, perhaps not. I do know the inks/ paints I use here are easy and fast to dry as the temp is very temperate, usually 50's currently and higher humidity, because of a lot of rain. I would think with higer tempertures, 80's and above it should dry fast but if the humidity is high, it would or could be stick and harder to "take', Just a guess. I do hope Crewella can look at this post and see if you and she are doing anything different from each other. Tell Gumble we all love him and I told Argyle what his brother looks like and he is all tail wagging and quite excited! :)
                                                    RWM   AKA        "The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods".

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »

Well it was way too easy to remove.  I must have done something wrong for sure.  Ink shouldn't just come off when gently rubbed with a damp cloth.  I do think it is important to share the full experience though so here are my pics of removing the ink.
And now Gumble is back to his old green self.  He still has the same amount of love spots as before - no new ones.  The only real thing that came of this exercise is that I now have orange brown hands and fingernails.  Almost like a bad fake tan. :D :D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »

Oh dear - I'm so sorry it went like that!   :(

I do suspect your enthusiasm got the better of you, though.  I think the secret, with the inks I tried anyway, lies in thin coats, and being dry to the touch is not the same as being truly dry.  I was blotting ink off anywhere that it looked as if it had pooled.  It's also important to paint onto a clean surface, any traces of grease or polish will form a barrier and stop the ink sticking to the skin.  The repair kit sold on ebay suggests rubbng alcohol, but I was a bit scared of that on Pleo skin.  Dishwasher cleaner should work just as well.

I would also leave 24 hours between each coat.  But then I'm afraid I do do things ridiculously slowly:- dab, dab......... watch it for two days ........ dab, dab ......... leave it another day ............ dab, dab ................ and so on.  I drive OH potty!!  :P

He did look great, though!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:04:38 AM by Crewella »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

I think Crewella is right about application not too much as it can be decieving. I do have one question, did you use a regular paint brush and was it big, thick wide or small? just little details. I am sure Crewella in chat can help you out Kat, he did look very nice indeed.  ;)
                              RWM  AKA "The Made Pleo Painter of the Redwoods"

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »

Kat, could you send me a pic of the label on your Polyglaze rubber care stuff.  I think if it's a silicone coating type of cleaner it might take a little more shifting - I'll look into it.

We've gone full circle - I seem to remember when Pledge was first mentioned for use on the RBs I went into a long rant about the evils of silicone additives in furniture polishes!!  ;) :P

Thank you for posting your results in such detail.  It's a learning curve for all of us so everything is valuable and a lesson learned.  I did actually paint pretty much onto Iggy's skin without preparing it 'properly', though it hadn't been conditioned with Autoglym for at least a month or so, so I will now go and attack him with a washcloth and see what happens!  ???  :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:46:12 PM by Crewella »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »

Stitch was cleaned with Pledge and I also used some tape to take off any cat fur and loose paint. His paint does come of with a damp rag but it takes an awful lot of scrubbing and I can't get all of it off.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 09:12:15 PM »

Good grief - you too IMR!!! :o

And I'm starting to do one as well ............ at least we'll all be experts by the time we suss this!!  :P

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »

You don't think I was going to sit back and let you guys have all the fun do you :D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »

No - it's just that you guys all move a lot faster than I do!!  :P

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »

I only know of one color that stayed on Peeky's chin for months and that was the purple color of red cabbage that I gave him at a restaurant.  ;)

Yesterday, while at the art store, I saw those irredecent inks. They looked very transparent in the bottles. Don't think they would cover or stay on our pleos.

Now you have me lookig for paints! ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »

Sigh .............. it's nearly 6am.  I tried to go to bed, but just lay there with painted Pleos going round and round in my head.  Counting them didn't work either, so I got up again.

I had a look at silicone polish removers, but apparently most All Purpose Cleaners will remove silicone polish from most plastic surfaces, so I'm guessing it would be OK to use to strip off layers of Polyglaze etc.

I rubbed over Iggy with a damp sponge.  Saw some paint on the cloth ........ oh dear ................  but actually most of it has stayed put, the areas it has come away from are in exactly the areas you might expect the Autoglym to be lurking still, near the armpits on the lower edge of the body - places that don't get a lot of natural wear from handling but I would have really paid attenton to when applying the Autoglym.  I will update the paint thread.

Also, when I painted Iggy I kept switching him on and getting him to change position so that I was painting areas that were fully extended.  For example when doing the side of the neck I got him to look hard away from me, doing the top I got him to look down, etc.

Hope that helps!

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »

Well here is a couple of pics of the Polyglaze.  Not sure if it will help it doesn't really give an ingredient list or anything.
I think that this may well be the cause of the ink not taking to Gumble.  I had only just given him a bath in the stuff a few days before.  Also I don't think that it helped having me being so impatient and not waiting for the ink to completely dry before doing another coat.
I will not be put off but will try to learn from this and have another go.
I have given him a soapy bath and am looking through the house for some alcohol to maybe give him a wipe over with just to be sure all the polyglaze is removed before starting again.  Not sure if I will find any but will use it if I do.
I will let you know how I go once I start again.
Kat

Ok I found some alcohol to rub him down with so now I think he is fee of the polyglaze. 
I have given him one coat of ink.  I am starting with the lighter highlight color this time as I think it will be easier to get coverage with the orange going over the creamy yellow than the other way around.  I expect it will take about 4 coats to get coverage over the green but we will see.  After this very thin coat you can still see loads of pleo green.  I tried to apply it as evenly as I could and as thinly as I could.  I am using a small flat brush to apply it.  I will give him the full 24 hours to dry and then turn him on and see what happens.  As you can see fron the close up pics of his neck and tail he has a bit of existing cracking in his skin - kind of ruff looking areas.  These existed before I painted him the first time.  I just thought I should document them now and then we can see if they change after he gets switched on.  This way we wont think the ink isn't working if it stays like this.  (hope that made sense) 
Will let you know tomorrow how it went.
Kat
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:24:08 AM by kat »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 01:20:28 AM »

I agree Kat - there was a patch on Iggy that would have meen the 'Autoglimmiest' ( :P) that the paint came away from when I washed him.  The rest was OK.  :)

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 02:38:34 AM »

I was wondering (about your experimenting with inks). Sorry to hear that your first experiment didn't work. But I loved the orange Pleo!
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 05:06:02 AM »

I really loved him orange too. :)  Hopefully he will be again soon.  so far without actually turning him on but just pushing on his skin a bit that ink seems to have stuck and is moving with the skin instead of cracking but I will wait till tomorrow to find out for sure when I turn him on.
I want to be sure he is completely dry before I switch him on. :)
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal