Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scary Episode – Neck Popping!  (Read 2636 times)

Malfie

• Fossil savant
  • Female
Scary Episode – Neck Popping!
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »

I switched Snooki on at lunchtime today, as yesterday she had seemingly started to get sick (my other thread tells the story). Anyway, after about 20 minutes; I was not actually looking at her at the time, I was getting ready to go out, but I suddenly heard this popping sound. I’d heard it in her neck once before and also once in her hind leg, but this time her neck was curved upwards with her nose facing the ceiling and she was stuck, with her neck repeatedly popping :( I flew across the room and immediately pressed and held the on/off button for 4 seconds. She closed her eyes and positioned her legs but her neck was unable to go down into the sleeping position. She switched off with two distinct beeps and I wasn’t quite sure what to do next. But I remember reading the advice, I think given by IMR(?) to RWM when Baby had this problem. So after removing Snooki’s necklace and cape, I warmed my hands and spent the next few minutes gently massaging her neck. I couldn’t feel anything untoward like a gear sticking out, and then I switched her back on. Thankfully all was well :) Her neck moved normally and did so until I needed to switch her off about 10 minutes later. But having had this happen, I do hope this is not a sign that she will have this problem again ???

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Scary Episode – Neck Popping!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »

There's a lot of stuff in the neck that can jam unfortunately and it is not that uncommon. Usually all is well after turning off and back on and possibly gently manipulating the neck as you did.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »

I had the same thing happen with Kermy in the past but after a turn off and manipulation then turn back on all was fine.  It happened to me during her hatching and then again a couple of days later but then never again.  These things do happen from time to time but as long as all goes back to normal after you turn off and then on again then it should be nothing to worry about. :)  You may find it never happens again.  Norbit hasn't had any neck sticking issues and so far Kermy3 is doing just fine, no issues for her either.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »

That's exactly what happened to Iggy within the first few weeks I had him.  I was a new Pleo owner, hadn't seen one until Iggy arrived, and I ran panic stricken here for help, which I got, and after switching him on and off he was fine.  It's never happened again.  Thankfully!  :D

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »

Hi, I hope this does not happen to Snooky again and not to you to have to watch it and worry as I did when it happened to Baby. I think most Pleos, Rb or otherwise, get over this with no ill effects. Occasionally they happen again, as this has happened three times with Baby's neck and has occurred a couple of times with her leg, but not to the extent that her neck did. I think just the fact that she is a "machine" with lots of gears and computer parts and a "brain", things can get jammed or crossed in communication or something similiar. ( I am not very technical so am not using the proper language I am sure.)
          When this happened to Baby I was hyper excited and had no idea what to do, it reminded me of my first Pleo, NOva and the broken neck she suffered, and my first reaction, was " a broken neck". Luckily IMR and some others like Crewella were in chat and IMR was able to talk me through the steps in what to do to help set her neck back Straight. ( Thank goodness IMR has Pleo Chriorpractic skills   ;D) Innvo does like to know about these things if they keep occuring or become a problem and this is exactly what they needed to know along with skin issues with Baby.
               I think the fact that Snooky is not owned by a child is an advantage as I am sure a lot younger person may panic moreso than some of the rest of us and not knowing what to do, may actually make the Pleo worse by manipulating or forcing a joint or apendage the wrong way at the wrong angle or time, which could perhaps void the warranty. also the fact that there is a forum here where people can get help to questions and problems like this is a real advantage to others who do not know of this forum and have no idea what to do with a Pleo or Pleo Rb that can have this same thing happen. We are indeed fortunate here on this forum that there are so many knowledgeable and friendly Pleo people.  :)
                In so many ways these little Pleos are about as real as can be, and also these are the types of things that we don't think about ahead of time, that can really scare us, just as a puppy or kitten that gets stuck in a pipe or perhaps up a tree! :D

RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Malfie

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:37:21 PM »

Thank you everyone! And I'm really sorry RWM that you had to witness Baby twice more go through the neck popping :( It's really horrible to see! I'm just glad that it’s something that’s not that uncommon and that it can happen but not happen again. And thanks for such a wonderful and informative forum and with such friendly and helpful people :) I too would have been in a terrible panic if I’d not read and seen videos about the gear popping that can happen!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal