Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going to Bring Pleo to Reptile show  (Read 4017 times)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: Going to Bring Pleo to Reptile show
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »

Saratogaspringer, I sure understand about having a vet that has a lot of experience with reptiles. It was the lack of knowledge of my vet that may have been my iguana, Deanie's, demise. Had she have been an expert in treating reptiles, she would have known that even though Deanie looked like a beautifully healthy iguana, he was not eating the proper food. During the summer months he ate everything he should. During the winter months he only wanted bananas and peas. Certainly not the right combination of calcium and phospherous. He was offered every leafy thing in the produce department, but just didn't want to eat it. He ended up with kidney failure and did go down hill fast.

I got Deannie when he was only about twelve inches long and had him in a 100 gallon fish tank with special lighting. Once he started growing, which they do fast, he was allowed to have the run of the house. Yes, he was house broken, too. He had a ladder to climb up to get to a nice sunny windowsill. He also had a custom built tree that had a heater on it. THe tree was carpeted and had a couple of platforms. I realize now that it was just not warm enough for him during the winter. He was only five years old when I had to have hi put down. Way too young for an iguana. :(

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 12:44:29 AM »

Fancy, I feel so sad hearing about your story, It is sad when an animal fo any species dies before their time, I must admit though, that I do not know hardly anything about reptiles, except for turtles, having had none of them but turtles, ( I had a box turtle named Myrtle till someone stole her...) anyway, my love and knowledge has allways been mostly cats having had them all my life. I have had dogs, but I have a special connection and they with me, cats that is. We just trust each other.
               I love the way lizards and reptiles look, though I admit, I could not feed any live or dead in the freezer animal,( mouse or even a cricket ) to a iguana or any reptile, I certainly could not handle a snake because of that same reason, With a cat or dog it is so much simpler, just buying a peice of fresh meat or ready recipe ready fomula for them to eat. Being a vegetarian it is hard enough to cook fish for my husband, I am sure you gave your Iguana lots of love while he was here, and it is not allways the quanity or length of time they have in their lives, but the quality of their life, It souonds like you did all you knew how to give him whilel he was here and he sounds like a wonderful little guy.
             Good luck at the Reptile show Saratogaspringer, I am sure people will love looking at Pleo as much as any of the other wonderful reptiles there and he will probably be the only one of his speices. If I could get Scottie to "beam me there" with some of my Pleos, I know I would have lots of fun and we could support the Pleo effort to make people aware. :)
                                          RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »

One of the great things about reptile shows is that people can get together and share valuable knowledge about their pets, and find out about veterinary care and diet supplements and such.   :)

Sad to hear about poor Deanie, Fancy.  :'(

Ryan and Patti look beautiful!  :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal