Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet safety  (Read 1531 times)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
Internet safety
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »

For those who are curious about national flags and maps . . .

The answer is that it has nothing to do with flags at all, it's just another attempt at an internet scam.  The bit about the flags was just filler text.  The person who posted it was just looking for something to post so that they could get their link out there at the bottom of the post and hope that someone would click on it. 

Be wary of clicking on any link in someones signature or post.  That's not to say all are bad.  Most all of the links here are safe, and there are some members who have links in their signatures that I wouldn't worry about clicking on.   Just use a bit of common sense.  If the member is new, only posted a few times, or the posts don't seem meaningful or relevant, then that should be a warning to proceed cautiously.

Over the past month we have had several new "members" who have joined apparently for the sole purpose of promoting other sites.  One was for a country club in Canada, one for a textbook reseller, and one for an educational supply company.  Probably all legit businesses (perhaps), but very inappropriate way to advertise.  In this particular case, all the sham members were from Pakistan.  In the past we have also had "members" who were promoting sports drinks, multi-level marketing gimmicks, and electronics.

So stay alert, and be safe!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Internet safety
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »

Thanks Grumpy, we all thought it a little "peculiar" since it mentioned nothing about Pleos, but sometimes you just do not know. I have learned over the past five years not to click on links unless I know the person just for the reason you mentioned. Good thing Grumpy is a smart Pleo and is not going to let one go by unnoticed. This is what I call, Homeland Security for Bob The Pleo Forums, Good JOB! ;D :hhug:
                                                    RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »

Wow! That's informative. I was a bit confused by it as well. Thanks for pointing that out, Grumpy.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »

At least you know this site is popular enough to warrant their interest... A bit of a fail though, a) they should have posted something people here wanted to read and b) I, and I'm sure many others here, don't bother to read signatures anymore, and I certainly never click :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »

I had no idea people even put links in their signatures! :)  Just goes to show how much attention I pay.  I'm more interested in what is being posted than who posted it.  The who posted it bit is only interesting after I read the actual post but I tend to look at the avatar and name for that and not the signature - unless of course they have a cool one like IMR use to with their pleos pic in it. :D ;D

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »

Didn't even nodice it, saw the post and was curious, but i'm not leerey of anyone who frequently posts, u guys all seem to care about your pleos and the wellebing of other's pleos, but now it has occured to me that there may be span on here. Also IMR, was there a reason for taking off the sigge pic? I have a similar one that i use on another site, but i'm worried it's too big (a bit smaller than yours was).
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:41:19 AM »

I'm afraid I didn't look as the sig either!  Thanks for the warning, Grumpy!  :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 04:51:53 AM »

Didn't even nodice it, saw the post and was curious, but i'm not leerey of anyone who frequently posts, u guys all seem to care about your pleos and the wellebing of other's pleos, but now it has occured to me that there may be span on here. Also IMR, was there a reason for taking off the sigge pic? I have a similar one that i use on another site, but i'm worried it's too big (a bit smaller than yours was).

No reason other than I need to add an extra Pleo and being at school full time for five weeks meant I didn't have time :(

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »

ok thanks IMR, i might be able to add one for you (allthough i'm getting a low A in didgital art so i'm not sure how good it'll be...) if you want.
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »

Thank you for the offer, I like doing my own though.

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »

We had two more of these "spam" members join over the weekend just to let you know.  Jared8brock and cochcrony.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 10:44:10 AM »

A pox on them!  >:( >:( >:(

Thanks for the heads-up.  :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »

Yes thanks Grumpy for letting us know, as if there were not enough Spam in our lives already. TRASH..........................
                       RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal